I have mentioned that Iliya has finally reached the "why?" stage of his life. As I understand it from the more sage parents of the world, this stage may actually never go away. Or...if it goes away, it returns with a vengeance in the teenage years. But I can't think about that, right now...I can only deal with the present. :)
Anyway, within the past 2 weeks, a normal conversation has gone from this:
Iliya: Mama, what are you doing?
Me: I'm putting on my makeup.
Iliya: Oh.
to this:
Iliya: Mama, what are you doing?
Me: I'm putting on my makeup.
Iliya: Why?
Me: Because I need to wear it to work.
Iliya: Why?
Me: So I can look pretty.
Iliya: Why?
You get the picture. This conversation could be about a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g. Truly.
So when Iliya was visiting his grandparents, this past weekend, they got the "why?" questions in full force and, in turn, enjoyed asking their own "why?" questions to Iliya.
But they told me about one conversation, in particular, they had with him as they were on their way to bring him home to us last Friday night. Iliya had become homesick, and was really wanting to see us. Here is the conversation they reported; I almost didn't believe it, because Iliya had never expressed anything like this before. But it warmed my heart to hear it:
Nana: Do you miss your mama and daddy?
Iliya: Yeah.
Nana: Do you want to go see your mama and daddy?
Iliya: Yeah.
Nana: But, why?
Iliya: Because..
.I
love them!