If you haven't figured this out by now, I periodically like to go to the archives of my blog and see what happened on any given day in the past 3 years. While you all may get tired of my "this date in history" posts...I never tire of them! I guess one of the perks of having blogged for any length of time is that there is a written history to go back and read...and one of the perks of it being
my blog is that
we are featured in that history! Annnnnyway...
So as I was reading tonight, I realized that, at this very time last year, Iliya was battling pneumonia. It was a difficult time, for the most part, because it was his first major sickness since coming home...but through the experience, I came to some interesting conclusions about the adopted child and medical history (well...I think they were interesting, you might not). Anyway, I think it bears reminding adoptive parents of the importance of knowing as much of your child's history as possible, so here's
the link to a post I wrote a year ago, about the very subject.
--------------------------------------------
And because I can't have you leaving without some form of entertainment, I'll tell you a couple of Iliya stories before I close. I am tempted to (though I shouldn't) apologize for filling up space with a bunch of stories...but you know, one day, I will love to go back and read them. I just feel like my blog has become a collection of anecdotes, rather than a combination of discussion and stories. This is not to say that I no longer have things/issues to discuss...but I think I have blogged about my lack of brain power when I finally get a chance to sit down in the evenings.
So...because blog-worthy stories are what I've got to give right now...it's what you get. :)
Just a couple things for tonight...and I'll probably make up for lost time with a bulleted post, very soon. Here goes...
First, we have had to become very diligent about making sure Iliya's pockets are cleaned out before his pants go into the washer. We've found a variety of treasures in his pockets - rocks, acorns, sand, sticks, marbles, money. If it can fit, he will put it there. In fact, I have two very clean acorns sitting right beside me as I type - guess his pockets didn't get checked before that load of laundry!
Do you know the song, "A Ram Sam Sam"? Iliya loves this song. Here are the real lyrics:
A Ram Sam Sam
A Ram Sam Sam
Guli Guli Guli Guli Guli
Ram Sam Sam
A Raffi! A Raffi!
Guli Guli Guli Guli Guli
Ram Sam Sam
And the other day, I heard Iliya singing it, and it went very much like this:
A Ram Sam Sam
A Ram Sam Sam
Gummy Gummy Gummy Gummy Gummy
Ram Sam Sam
A Broccoli! A Broccoli!
Gummy Gummy Gummy Gummy Gummy
Ram Sam Sam
He also has this silly dance he will do to this song and it tickles me to no end. This evening, I was singing the song, and he was dancing around his room, and then he stopped, looked at me, and said, "I'm done. Shhh."
Guess he told me.
And finally, we had some visitors this evening - some older gentlemen from the church we have been attending since moving here. They stopped by for a visit, and as we were talking, Iliya was doing a fairly good job of entertaining himself. I was feeling VERY proud of him...until...
(yes, there's always an "until," isn't there?)
Until Iliya jumped up into the lap of one of the men, waved his finger in the man's face, and said, "Look! A booger!"
Oh.......the mortification joys of parenthood. So many, they cannot possibly be numbered!
And the booger story just gets better and better. ;>