The first part of this post was written on Monday night - I'm just now getting around to posting it, because I wanted to see how the rest of the week went. It's long - and I almost scratched it altogether, because it became one big ramble - but hang in there with me, if you can...
---------------------------------------------------------------
Tonight brought something I haven't seen in quite a long time.
An inconsolable child.
See, I've debated on how much to blog about this, but I think I can now - because if I wait, this post will lose its impact, I think. And if I'm too vague, I'll leave you outright wondering what I'm referring to. So, I'll just come right out & say that Nathan has been gone for the last 5 weeks. It's been military related - and he's practically on his way home, but I'll save the details of that for another post, another time.
I had worried how I would do, acting as a single parent. My patience-level is always helped along by Nathan's even temperament....and without him here, I simply wondered how smoothly things would run. In the end, I've surprised myself by doing pretty well. I guess, you just do what you gotta do, right? And it's been difficult (and I have a whole new appreciation for the work single parents have to do) but we've almost made it.
Iliya seems to have done just fine, as well. It would be easy for me to say that he has taken everything in stride...I've done everything I know to do to help him cope with the separation - and on the outside, he's been energetic, funny, happy-go-lucky child, but as time has gone on, I've begun re-thinking my stance on just how well he's done. Don't get me wrong, he's done really well, considering...but I think that we've all been fooled by his outward happiness. Because on the inside, I believe there's more going on than meets the eye.
As I mentioned, I've done everything I know to help him through this separation - pictures of Nathan everywhere, we have a "Countdown to Daddy" calendar I made, we talk about Nathan, we pray, we have an Elmo "deployment/separation" video we watch. And I do think those things helped...but I'm left wondering if there's anything else I could've done.
It all started a couple weeks ago, when Iliya's teacher approached me about tantrums he's been having at school...that he's been a little overly aggressive with a few of his friends...and how he was having difficulty at naptime. I told her that I didn't see any of that happening at home, and as far as I could tell, he was sleeping quite well (of course, there's the whole issue of him being in a "big boy bed" now and getting up and coming to my room at random points during the night, but that's another post for another time, as well). We talked about how - at home - Iliya was surrounded by the familiar...me, pictures & memories of Nathan, and all of his things. And at school, things are just different - while he is doing really well, he still lacks the 2 people that are most important to him (and the 1 person who can actually BE there at the time, if that makes sense). So it made sense to think that he might be having a little more trouble at school than at home.
It's been obvious to me that Iliya has thought about Nathan...For the past 5 weeks, Iliya has woken up every day, asking if it's the day we get to see Daddy again. When he gets upset, he cries for Nathan, he tells me that "Daddy brush my teeth THIS way" (because I was obviously doing it wrong). I know I said he's been happy - but he's also had a few sad moments that we've worked through...with me patting myself on the back at the conclusion of each one for the "great job" I did helping him talk about his sadness. Even though those "sad" moments have seemed few & far between, it has broken my heart to see him want to see his daddy so much and be told time and time again that it's not the day...just a few more weeks, just a few more days.
And to a 3 year old, what is another week? He doesn't have a good concept of time, yet, and while I can see the end, he really does not have the capability of understanding that this really isn't forever. And then there's the issue of being a post institutionalized child - I have NO way of knowing if there are any residual effects from that. I'd like to think not, but I probably will never know. I just know that I have to treat certain situations as though there is still something there.
Like this whole thing with naptime. Iliya is a very sleep-oriented child. He typically gets about 10-12 hours a night, and 2 hours at naptime. Any less than that, and he is a cranky little bee. Don't believe me? Come hang out at the house in the evenings, while he's currently not taking a nap in the middle of the day.
I've been a little perplexed about what to do. His teacher and I both feel like he's missing Nathan, and perhaps naptime is the time of day when he has to stop & have time to process...and then can't get comfortable at school (maybe has too much on his mind?) to actually sleep. It almost sounds hokey when I actually type that out, but it's the only thing we can figure. At home on the weekends...he naps like a champ, 2 hours. But at school...nada.
So I made the suggestion that maybe I could keep him up a little later in the evenings - maybe about 30 minutes - and see if it would wear him out long enough to take a good nap.
So far, no dice. If anything, he's crankier and more whiney and/or weepy. I've also begun noting that any time Nathan calls, Iliya has gone a little nuts afterward. Pitching small fits and just being cranky. I've attributed it to tiredness...but maybe he's just been inching toward a boiling point.
Which brings me to tonight.
After dinner, he wanted to watch a DVD...and in the interest of keeping him awake a little while, we sat down to watch a few minutes before bathtime. We got to a good stopping point and it was time for bathtime. He wasn't happy about it, and I all but had to drag him to the bathtub. I told him it was time to get undressed (which he normally does willingly) and he stood in the middle of the room, crying that he wanted to keep watching King Cole. So I told him that he could undress himself or I would have to do it for him (this usually gets him moving)...and he just stood there. So I undressed him and put his clothes into the dirty clothes basket.
He went nuts, crying about putting his jeans in the hamper himself. And I told him that he could undress himself tomorrow night. He cried all the way through his short bath, and then had a fit because I didn't dry him off with his Spider Man towel. He sobbed. And sobbed. And sobbed. He wasn't crazy about the jammies he was wearing. So he cried. And then I told him it was time to turn on his fan - and he said (while crying), "noooo! Mommy turn on my fan!"
So I did.
And immediately he changed his mind. HE wanted to turn the fan on. So he sobbed about that. I literally couldn't get him to stop.
My first inclination was to get angry, and tell him to hush...really, because I felt helpless and frustrated and didn't have my main source of support with me. And then I stopped myself and remembered that Iliya is all of 3 years old...and we all need a good crying jag every now and again. Even 3 year olds. In addition to his age...I thought about his history, as well as the fact that his daddy is gone. I realized that I - as an adult - could count the days until Nathan is home...but I have a good sense of time. Iliya does not. For him, a week might as well be a month - he keeps up with his days by knowing whether he goes to school, stays home, or goes to church. So yeah, I had been telling him for weeks that Nathan would be home "soon." But really, for him, what is the meaning of "soon?" How often do we use it to describe something that will happen in the same day or the next 6 months?
Anyway, I did the only thing I truly knew to do. I turned off the light, sat down with him in the rocking chair, and just rocked. I sang to him - not over his cries, but quietly. Eventually, his sobs died down and were replace by hiccups, and almost as soon as he quit crying, he was completely asleep.
The whole episode lasted about 20 minutes. And it might be the most difficult thing I've dealt with - with Iliya - in over a year.
I had an overly tired, emotional, and - I think - sad little boy on my hands.
___________________________
Fast forward to today. After Monday, Iliya has had a really good - fantastic, even - week. He's had good, solid naps - everyday - at school and hasn't gotten as easily upset as he had been getting over the past couple weeks.
For whatever reason, I never really realized that 3 year olds actually would bottle their feelings to this extent. And I honestly think that's what happened to cause the meltdown on Monday. As I mentioned, I had done everything I knew to do to help him deal with the absence of his daddy...and I thought it was helping, but I guess he just needed a good 5-weeks-worth-of-absence meltdown to get everything (that had been building up) out.
Anyway, sorry for the rambling. I guess I just wanted to write about that - with no real point, other than to just talk about it. The most interesting thing is that it seems that Iliya has been internalizing a lot of his feelings without me even knowing. I don't know I could've been any more vigilant to help prevent some of that internalizing, or.... if there was nothing more I could do, simply because he just deals with uncertainty and sadness in a different way than I do. I might not have noticed as well, because my way of dealing with stress and trials of life is to simply talk/write it out, or cry. I can't keep it inside, so perhaps I was overlooking any "warning" signs because I subconsciously thought that, if there was anything to get out, he had gotten it out. Who knows? It's also interesting to wonder if this was an isolated thing (with it being the first significant separation we've had since Iliya came home) that was a learning-how-to-deal-with-it experience for both of us...or if it is an ingrained personality characteristic that we'll see come up again.
I guess time will tell...but the interesting thing to note is that, since Monday, Iliya has been a noticeably different child. Truly happier, sleeping well, talkative when Nathan calls. He's been a complete joy.
So our next step will be reintroducing Daddy to our pretty tight routine and see how that goes. Contrary to popular belief, it's not always easy on kiddos to have a parent back after a lengthy separation. But we will see! I know I, for one, will be glad to have him back again!
If you tell the truth you would have just loved to have sat down and cried your eyes out with Iliya. I believe it does releave stress sometimes, but give's you a headache and sore eyes.
Babs has kept us abreast of Nathan. I'm glad he is coming home very soon.
Love,
Carolyn
from Sunny Florida
What a wonderful way to express your feelings and treat the situation. When I read your blog, I think back to that inquisitive teenager in high school that wanted to know everything there was to know about someone's (how should I say this without leaving anything out) soul. Maybe now with more knowledge and experiece you and your husband you handle things with a whole new light. But I caught a glimpse of that caring, nurturing and concerned Melissa I grew soooo fond of in school. You're a terrific Mother and no doubt Nathan is a terrific dad! You're doing great.
Suggestion if you don't mind hearing it: a friend of mind has been suffering with sort of the same thing. Her little girl has acted out as well. Last deployment, her husband had made 90 days worth of 'goood morning sunshine' videos. All completely different. Not really fibbing to his child b/c where he would be and what he would be doing was the truth but maybe you could roll that over in your wonderful brain and see if the next time that might help. Like I said just a suggestion. That little girl, thought the world of that tape. And still watches it when he's just out for a few days.
Love ya,
April
How are you different today? What have you learned about life in general. About your parents now that you're a parent. You know stuff like that.love ya Ape
Redirection, when it works, is a magical thing. I'm trying to get better at that but Dede is quite good at it. Honestly, we're kinda the reverse, with Dede usually being the calming voice of reason to my short-fused tendencies. But maybe this is why we've worked so well as a couple for so long - balance.
Anyway, I feel your anguish. It's tough enough doing this as a couple, so I can only imagine how difficult it'd be to handle solo. I hope things even out as you wait for Nathan.
There are Elmo videos (free on iTunes) about parents coming back from deployment, too...but I bet you've already found those!
Hang in there!
Poor little guy. You will be in my thoughts and prayers!
Maybe you could put a pic of the 3 of you together on a key chain and let him take it to school. Just a suggestion. BEST of luck, you're doing an amazing job and I'm so glad your hubby will be home soon.
I will pray that whatever time is left before your husband comes home goes easy for both you and your son.
When I started back to work 3 evenings a week a few weeks ago, Owen started pushing me away when it was time for me to put him to bed, telling me to go to work, and then crying if he thought I was going to leave him. It was so hard and so frustrating, I had one night I just cried and cried as I wondered how we could have gone about this differently. I hadn't been away from him in months, and he was having the hardest time dealing with it, even just 2 hours a day 3 or 4 days a week.
It sounds like you did a wonderful job preparing Iliya and talking with him while Nathan has been gone. I am glad to hear, as hard as I know it was for you, that Iliya finally let those tears flow. It does feel so good after we've held everything in for so long just to cry and cry, you know? I'm glad things have gotten better since then.
I hope the transition back to having Nathan at home goes very well. I know you can't wait!! :O)
Hugs,
Adrienne
Does Iliya count? Can he count the days until Nathan comes home? Mateo loves to count so we do that and also use a days of the week calendar at school to talk about the week. Of course its easier when the number of days is small.
i'll be praying for your family during the remainder of your separation, and as Iliya adjust to having daddy around again.
Nathan, thank you for sacrificing SOOOOO very much for our country. i thank God for ALL of our military folks that sacrifice sooo much. thank you to mommy and son for giving of your husband and daddy. if only we lived in a perfect world.