We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Tuesday, February 03, 2009
Prayers
Ever since we've had Iliya, we've made it a habit to pray - at various times - as a family. Dinner, bedtime, the usual. I know I've posted about dinner prayers at some point - but I can't really remember when...so I figure, if I can't remember, you probably can't remember, either. :)

So when we first came home, you may recall that we had issues with Iliya during the hour or so (maybe less) leading up to mealtimes. It seems that the problem was that - in the baby home - food had always been prepared for him, while he was doing something else, and it just "magically" appeared on the table in front of him when it was time to eat. And once we came home with him, he had the hardest time with wanting the food, and wanting it NOW - not understanding that the food had to be cooked. Don't remember that? Go back & search Summer & Fall of 2007 archives...it's there.

Ohhhhh, how I love my son, but am glad that those days are overwith.

But I digress.

So when it came to saying the blessing before mealtimes, we figured there was no better time to start modeling this than at the beginning. So, we started very simply. Just a quick, "Dear God, thank you for the food, Amen." And as time went on, and Iliya's pre-mealtime meltdowns became more scarce, we were able to extend the blessings and make them a little more meaningful.

Well, in the past few months, Iliya has taken an interest in saying the blessing. And usually, if he doesn't have help, he says, "Dear God, in Jesus' name, Amen." (of course, he often does this as I'm setting our plates out, and he's ready to eat. he climbs in his chair, says his quick prayer and digs in. I've gotten smart to that, though, and make sure the food is out of his reach. I'm a stickler for everyone eating together, but that's another post for another time. Again, I digress...) We have no problem with letting him say the blessing himself - but he usually needs some prompting to get some "substance" between the very beginning and the very end.

So fast forward to last night.

Last night, we sat down to eat, and I guess Iliya decided he was going to say the blessing, because he started right in on it....so I just went with it. This is the longest prayer he's ever said - especially without prompting. Not a bit of this came from me. He said:

Dear God, Thank you for Mommy and Daddy. I be a good boy. I go to doctor and get a shot. Thank you for food. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Oh, how I love this age. Things are so simple, yet every little thing - at least in my eyes - is so huge.
9 Comments:
Blogger Lindsay said...
There is something very beautfiul in the simplicity and truth that a child comes out with. Lovely prayer!

Blogger Cindy said...
I completely relate to the preparation of the food. After a long day of preschool and work, Vika wants it immediately when we walk in the door and she starts pointing at the fridge. I have to explain to her that YES, I am going to fix dinner right away, but I have to COOK it! Lots of whines and fussing follow, even with keeping her busy with something in the meantime. I just cannot get her to understand there is some time involved. I would like to say it's the language barrier we still face, but really, I think it's her age. Being 4 comes with so much impatience over everything! As far as your prayers...well, Vika has been known to point out to the teachers at lunchtime at preschool at our church when the other kids are perhaps starting to dig in and not having their hands folded and heads bowed during the prayer first. I love it. She's such a good little Lutheran already. Ha ha!

Cindy & Vika
www.cindysadoptionjournal.blogspot.com

Blogger Carey and Norman said...
How absolutely sweet was that prayer! Precious!!

Blogger Tony and Dawn said...
How wonderful!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
What a precious, precious boy! How sweet can you get? And I'm certain there were lots of smiles in Heaven over that one. :) Love it!

~Cindi L.

Blogger Anne said...
What a beautiful prayer!

Blogger kate said...
I know your heart smiled when you heard this.

Dima's is (came up with this totally on his own) "Lord Jesus, Lord Jesus, Stand by me. Stand by me. Amen" ;) I think this age is too cute too.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Melissa & Nathan & of course Iliya, I have been without my computer since November. I have been on my hubby's work one and it doesn't have AOL and when you set it to go there you can't get your own AOL. By saying this, I got my computer back and have just sat down and have been having the best story to read before bedtime. I am finally all caught up with the Bridges in Montgomery. I love the stories and the best story is how much YOU have grown since last Christmas. I know when I first adopted my first two I thought everything had to be by the book. Boy do we change. When I adopted the third child, man did I change. The biggest thing I learned was to let them be children and not little adults. And I see you are doing that, he's a child for sure. You are so much more relaxed and free spirited with the handsome boy. Just keep up the good work it looks like you are a normal family with a normal child doing the normal things.

You are so precious, and Nathan and of course Iliya, the big boy. Just keep doing what you are doing.

Love,

Carolyn & Earl Nelson
Sunny Florida