Well, at least a year ago - today - I mailed in our first PPR (post placement report). At the time, I couldn't believe that we had been home a WHOLE six months. Time was starting to pass a bit too quickly.
And I can't believe that we've now been home over a year & a half.
A year ago, Iliya "talked" - but no one could understand a word he said. We got asked a LOT if he was still speaking Russian. And just this evening, I was watching him carry on a conversation with a person he didn't know very well - and I minimally had to help her understand him. Granted, he can still stand to enunciate a little better...but he loves to talk to people, and it's so cool that people can "get" what he's saying now.
While we allow for "comfortably quiet" times (we don't engage him 115% of the time, just because we feel it's a good thing to learn to be comfortable with the occasional silence)...we talk to him a LOT. We share new words and new ways of saying things. His teachers at school talk to him a lot - and they also use creative ways to say things as well as encourage him to use all of his words. It's just a cool thing to think back on his language development.
A few fun/new things he has said lately:
While in the car: Mama! Go FAST! Drive Berry (very) fast!
While trying to take off his shirt: I having trouble
In the bath, talking about one of his bath cups: It's floating!
While looking for someone: I will find her.
When he noticed one of his toys was broken: Uh oh! My toy is broken. What happened?
I know these may not seem like a big deal...but they really are. He is using past tense (ed) as well as present tense (ing) correctly. He's working on all the ways to say "be," and doing really well with using it correctly. And these are things that have only recently emerged in his speech.
And the child is a backseat driver if I ever saw one. Refer to the above example. And it doesn't matter where he sees a green light, if he sees one, it means it is time to GO. Nevermind that the light directly in front of us is red. If I try to tell him that we have to wait, he will argue with me and he will stay on me until I start accelerating (once the light actually turns green). If I'm driving downtown (slow) he will tell me to go fast. If I am driving fast on the interstate, he tells me to slow down.
One day...when he has that driver's permit. Payback will be sweet. :)
There was something else I was going to mention...oh, I remember...
The other night, I was giving him a bath, and he pointed to the hot water knob and said, "Iliya! Mama, see? Iliya!" Figuring that he was looking at his reflection in the knob, I said something about how he could see himself, to which he looked at me like I was crazy. He said, again, "Iliya! See? I for Iliya!" And then I realized that when I had turned off the hot water, the "H" on the knob was laying on its side...and it looked like an "I." Boy, was I waaaay off the first time!
_____________________________________
So I guess this has been a weird conglomeration of information, but I thought it was interesting to share. Instead of trying to wrap up in a witty or meaningful way, I believe I will simply bid you adieu and say..."goodnight" and wish you a happy long weekend!
April