We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Brain Dump
Alright, so that you get a post without too much time going by (and so that I can get some of his out of my head!!)...here are some bullets:
  • Having a house on the market is a very frustrating thing.  Especially when said house is in another city.  Our realtor finally re-worked our numbers for us and we've come down on the price a little bit.  I always felt like we were asking a bit too much for it - so now I'm feeling better about our asking price.  If you all need something extra to pray about, please pray that "that" someone will look at the house and fall in love with it just as we did 4 years ago.  

  • Iliya talks nonstop, now.  I mean, when he's awake, his mouth is going.  This is not a bad thing...it just means that by bedtime, my brain is mushy from carrying on so much conversation - even if it is for only a few hours in the evening!  The great thing about him talking so much is that you just never know what he's going to say.  I really need to write stuff down more than I do - but the kiddo just really makes me smile with some of the things he says.  
For instance, tonight, he was telling me that my eyes were black, like Elmo's eyes.  I couldn't figure out what in the world he was telling me - finally, I realized that Elmo's eyes are really just 2 big white circles with black pupils in the middle...and Iliya was making the connection that I also have black circles in the middle of my eyes.  So we talked about pupils and irises...and then he got really close to my left eye and said something I couldn't really understand - "mobbles.  Mobbles, mama!"  After he went around the world, saying something about grandmom and granddad, and nana and papa...and then all but poking me in the eye, I finally had a lightbulb moment.  "OHHHHH," I replied, "You think my eyes look like marbles?"  Yep, that was it.
Let's see...what else....?
  • Oh yes, today...today I filled out my application for my degree.  I've been slowly working on my M.S. - one class at a time - for almost 5 years, now.  If all goes as planned, I should be graduating in May!  I told my advisor that I was nervous...I've been working on this for so long, now, that I won't believe I'm done till I am walking across that stage.  And then, as much as I enjoy school, I think I am done.

  • Just a piece of advice...if - while taking a nap at school - a child starts crying in his sleep, and saying, "NO!  No, mommy.  No, daddy!" just chalk it up to a dream.  If you need to tell an overly tired, overly stressed mother about it, that's fine...but when she makes mention of the fact that sometimes (during times of transition), her child seems to have dreams like that at home...don't laugh and say, "Well, you'd think y'all are doing something to him to make him have dreams like that."  It's not cool, because even if you're joking...it's not nice to joke like that with said mother...especially on a day that was very stressful.
In case you're wondering, yes...someone said that to me on Monday - and it made me angry, but I chose to just keep my mouth shut.  The dreams (or sleep-talking)- when you remove the fact that they usually go along with difficult transitions for Iliya - are actually a little amusing.  In the middle of the night, it's like he's having an excellent toddler dream -firmly telling his parents, NnnnnnnnnO!  
  • Speaking of school and difficult transitions....Iliya has had a hard time coming back to school after Christmas break.  Every day, when I drop him off, it has been one of those "pry him off of me so I can leave" kind of days.  It's just par for the course for having our routine interrupted so severely.  But today, he got out of the car without a fight...helped me hang his bag up...and walked up the stairs to the drop-off point (by himself, which is HUGE, because I usually have to carry him!).  And he went in the door and gave me a kiss...and as I drove away, I looked at the windows and saw a smiling face waving "good bye" to me!
  • Potty training is going a bit slower than I'd anticipated.  Mostly because my plan of putting Iliya in big boy underwear when we're at home together is just not so good.  I mean, really, I realized this morning that the only day that we have any amount of quality time together is on Saturday.  On Sundays, we have church & nap - not really any good uninterrupted time to "practice" and in the evenings, we come home, play/read for a little while, then I have to cook dinner, bath, and bedtime.  So I'm not rethinking the whole potty training thing...so much as I'm just recalculating what, exactly, I need to do.
Have you heard about this guy?  Crazy stuff, for sure...and big news in Alabama.

This is Iliya's new smile.  His dad thought it was hilarious when - as I was trying to get a good picture for you faithful readers - he smiled at me like this a few weeks ago. Nathan laughed like it was the funniest thing ever (he's good at that, and I'll admit, it was funny...once or twice) so now, any time the camera comes out, this is what I get.  Thanks, Nathan!



  • And I believe that's it for now.  I'm sure there's more...but I'll just save it for sometime when it's not 11:30 p.m., and I have to be up at 5:45 a.m.!
Goodnight!

7 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Congrats! on completing your masters degree!!! Just think, even tho' it took 5 years, that time would have passed even if you hadn't been working on it. And now, it's graduation time!

Did you tell the teacher that the "No, mommy, No, daddy" is probably because he doesn't want you to leave him at school? -- make sense to me, especially if he's have difficulty transitioning back into his school routine.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
p.s. -- I love Iliya's sweet face & the smile is precious!

Blogger Joy said...
People have a lot of nerve!!

I think you are in trouble that smile is so cute and I would have laughed too!
Joy

Blogger Lindsay said...
Love the photo - Hannah has her whole 'fake' smile thing as well for the camera. Cracks me up - she looks constipated!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Don't stress the wearing of "big boy pants". Consider pull-ups big boy pants and when they stay dry all day and/or all night, transition to "bigger boy" pants. I promise you, he won't wear pull-ups to kindergarten.

Blogger Carey and Norman said...
Thanks for the update. Loved the Elmo/marble story. Sorry to hear about his dreams at school and the fact that the teachers had to make an inappropriate comment. Jeez.

I hope you are able to sell your home quickly!!

Blogger Unknown said...
That picture makes me laugh out loud!! That's awesome! Can't wait to see you guys again...whenever that may be with all of our busy schedules :(. Love you!