We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Daddy's Home!
And actually, we were all reunited last week, but things have been crazy to say the least.  We've been hip-deep in laundry and suitcases....and I actually brought home a sick husband.  And I want to tell you all about our experience & reunion.  But I have to tell you that - after congratulating myself a few days ago on making it almost all the way through "sick season" without a single sickness - I am now sick.  Aching, sore throat, fever...it's been going around, and I suppose it finally hit me square in the face & is putting a lot of effort into knocking me flat on my rear end.  

I say all that to tell you that I had planned to put a really cool video together, but I'm doing pretty good to be propped up in front of the computer tonight, to type.  So I'm thinking you may get pictures in a basic online slideshow...it's all I have energy for right now, and I really don't want to keep putting this off.

So, without further ado...

If you've been reading for a while now, you probably know that Nathan has been enlisted in the Air National Guard for going on 10 years (someday, I'll tell you the story about how we became a military family in the first place...but this is not the time or place).  To keep it simple, I'll just tell you that he's in Security Forces (which is more-or-less the AF equivalent to an MP).  Anyway, a little less than 2 years ago, Nathan began the paperwork to receive his commission in the Air Force (as a member of the ANG).  It was a long & winding process, full of waivers and waiting.  There was a period of time that we really didn't think everything was going to fall into place and he would just serve out his time enlisted (which, really, despite all the frustrations he had to endure, would've been a fine plan...because he has definitely loved being in the SFS field).  As a sidenote, as an officer, he plans to remain in the field...just doing work that is a little different.

Anyway, fast forward through all the hang ups to this past December.  One morning early in the month, Nathan received an email, saying that he had finally been accepted into AMS (officer school) and that his report date would be January 10; not much time to prepare!  But we made it through the holidays with flying colors.  January hit us and we were still scrambling to get all of his uniforms together (usually a person has a little more time to prepare)...but it all came together and the 10th of January came and Nathan said "goodbye" and was gone for 6 weeks.  

He would be in some pretty intense training - and didn't have time for much, other than concentrating on schoolwork.  He persevered, though, and pushed all the way through to the very end of the training.  And you can refer to this post to see how we fared at home (if you'd rather not refer, I'll tell you - we did famously with a few big speed bumps).

In all, we did really well...but boy, were we glad when February 18 rolled around.  Nathan was set to graduate on the 20th - but we left on the 18th to meet my MIL in Birmingham and travel with her to the graduation activities (which were in Knoxville) that began on the 19th.

We almost had weather setbacks, but we ended up making it just fine - we (me, MIL, & Iliya) stopped and stayed the night with, and ultimately picked up, N's aunt (in Huntsville) on the way through to Knoxville.  And the 4 of us headed north earrrrly on Thursday morning.

We arrived in time to eat lunch with Nathan in the chow hall dining facility and take tours of the other facilities.  They also hosted an Open House program to inform family about the history of the school, as well as to show some pictures of time spent there.  It was all very nice.  Then it was time to attend the awards ceremony banquet - at which young children were not permitted.  So it was my & Nathan's first "date" in 6 weeks.  Iliya stayed at the hotel with N's family while Nathan and I went to the "grown up party."

And I suppose I would be incredibly remiss if I didn't mention Nathan & Iliya's reunion!  N and I have gone through several separation/reunions...so this was "old hat" to us (though separations are never easy and reunions are always absolutely wonderful!).  But this was the first time that Iliya had been away from his daddy for more than 2-3 days.  And I think I will let the pictures speak for themselves...though we can truly say that the boy was glued to his father & didn't want to let him out of his sight.  

In fact, as we left for the awards ceremony, Iliya was saying, "I wanna see my daddy!  I wanna go to grownup party, too!"  But he had a great night without us - and thoroughly enjoyed seeing Nathan during all the commissioning activities on Friday (though he really couldn't understand why he had to just LOOK at his daddy, and couldn't run over to sit with him during the graduation...or run up on stage to help him ring the bell...or tear out across the parade field to be with him).  It was really quite sweet.  And Iliya has been a different child ever since.  So happy - and he has finally come (mostly) un-glued to Nathan - it seems that he has figured out that Nathan is actually HOME.  

But I digress...

In addition to my MIL & Nathan's aunt...Nathan's dad flew in from a business trip... my parents, aunt & grandmother came up...my SIL & her family attended...as did 4 of N's friends/co-workers from the ANG base in Birmingham.  We had a crowd, and it was crazy trying to coordinate and let everyone know what was going on...but again, we made it!

I will end by apologizing for my lack of eloquence in this blog post.  This could be one of the more memorable posts in this blog, and I've really done a less than stellar job of making it all coherent (though if it IS coherent, then I'm doing pretty well, I'd say, at this point).

I'd like to share some photographs with you.  There are quite a few, and I apologize.  Many of you won't care to sit through all of them, but I just couldn't figure out which to cull and which to keep.  So...in true Melissa fashion, I just kept them all.  :)



  
10 Comments:
Blogger Maggie Vink said...
I'm glad you shared all the photos. There are so many good ones and they brought some happy tears to my eyes.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Lt. Bridges, the bars look good on you! Congrats! You and your family have much to celebrate (careers, family)! Life is good!!! Welcome Home ~ April Kendrick

Blogger Lindsay said...
Sorry you got sick: hope you are feeling better soon. Loved the photos: especially the ones of Iliya trying on his daddy's hat, and admiring himself in the mirror!

Blogger Joy said...
This is such an accomphishment for N and all of you really. What beautiful pictures. You capture such sweet moments. Your husband is a good sport.
Joy

Blogger Susan said...
Congratulations Nathan!!

I love the picture of Iliya's hand over Nathan's shoulders.

Blogger Anne said...
Priceless! Thanks for sharing beautiful pics! I love following your blog!

Blogger Unknown said...
LOVE the pictures!! Especially the one with the Natster...so sweet! Glad you guys are all back together again. Love you!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Oh, Melissa! How wonderful that reunion must have been. Don't know how you held it all together emotionally. Brought great joyous tears to my eyes! And Congrats to Nathan. What an accomplishment!
April

Blogger Robin said...
Great pictures. Congrats to Nathan on becoming an officer. Paul pinned his butter bars on one year ago this Friday!

Blogger Wolf family said...
I cried when I saw Ilya's little body running toward his daddy...what a precious, precious memory for all of you. And, your beautiful smile is full of joy and pride in your man...Thanks for sharing. Blessings on all of you.