We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Tuesday, December 09, 2008
Rewind: Part 3
How appropriate that the 3rd installment of my "Rewind" series will cover Iliya's 3rd birthday.

Several months ago (probably about August or September - before life got too crazy), I had planned to actually do a big birthday bash for Iliya.  I wasn't sure what sort of party he'd like to have, and one day I asked him if he wanted to have a "tractor" party, to which he replied, "No, Elmo party."  I may've blogged about that, I'm not sure, but that's what he wanted that day & every day since.  (the funny thing about it is that he never really watched much TV, and I didn't really even realize that he had such a connection with the furry red monster)

Anyway, as August & September gave way to October, life got really wild and I let November slip up on me.  I started to stress out about what to do for his party - and then I realized that it really wasn't about doing a huge celebration.  For Iliya, birthday party = balloons, birthday cake, and singing "Happy Birthday."  

When I thought of it in those terms, it was no longer as stressful.  Since we were basically homeless, living/working/going to school in a completely new place, my plans for having the big birthday party at our house - and family get togethers over Thanksgiving - went out the window.  I talked to my mom and we decided to just do a simple party at their house on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.   The only things required for the party?  Balloons, birthday cake, and plenty of singing.

And you know what?  It was so nice...no pressure, an Iliya got to be the center of attention.  And he SO enjoyed himself.  Here are some pictures from the day:

guess who!  we did cupcakes...easy peasy!


we also had easy brunch foods (iliya is his best in the morning, so we had his party at 10:00).  here he is tasting the juice - it's a little more sour than he'd anticipated, i do believe!



opening gifts

BIG AL!


can you tell that we're singing Happy Birthday?  the child was soaking it up


 
blowing out the candle!


 
SO proud! 

digging in to the cupcake



i LOVE this picture...i only wish it had turned out a little better


sitting with his new Big Al & school bus


now, get this...guess who gets to have a birthday party, now?


did you guess Big Al?
this is all Iliya's doing...from deciding to give Big Al a party, to putting him in the seat, to grabbing a cupcake without any of us noticing what he was up to



 
 
here, big al, Happy Birthday to you!

aside from his new toys, Iliya carried these balloons around with him everywhere.  

I'd say it was a fun & very successful day!  Happy Birthday, my little boy!!







6 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...
PRECIOUS!! I hate that we missed the party, but the pictures are awesome!

Blogger Laura S said...
So sweet! Looks like the party was a success. There will be plenty of time for big overly done parties. Simple is good. :)

Its amazing how they know characters that you have no idea where they were exposed to. Mateo has surprised me by knowing a few very random characters so all I can think is that it comes from daycare.

Blogger Carey and Norman said...
What a fun birthday. Happy 3rd Birthday, Iliya!!

Blogger Unknown said...
OK, I have to say that every time I look at the "juice" picture, I can't help but laugh hysterically. What a face!! That's so awesome!

See you this weekend! love you

Blogger Ronda said...
Happy Birthday Iliya from Natasha and Alexander. We wish you a wonderful year with your family.

Three already?! Wow! That went incredibly fast. Happy Birthdya to Iilya!

Dmitry also has taken note of Elmo despite very limited television exposure to him. However, for Dima, it is not a good relationship. He is terrified of Elmo. He had an Elmo book with a sound chip so he could press buttons on and it and hear elmo say several phrases. So, I would hand the book to Dima in bed when he asked for books at bedtime and the first few nights he took it from me. Pretty soon, he handed it right back. I thought he was just bored with it. A few days later, he started asking, "elmo? elmo, mama?" I thought he wanted to read the book again after his break from it. When I found it on his bookshelf and handed it to him he freaked, "No elmo! No, elmo!" He had been inquiring about it's proximity to himself! After that, he couldn't even go to sleep without being sure there was NO elmo book in his room. It was weird. Totally unexplainable. I just think maybe he went to sleep playing with and listening to the recorded phrases and they ended up in a nightmare or something?! I would love to climb in his head once in awhile to get a little better insight into how the world looks through those eyes.

Talk about a digression! You asked for a comment and I wrote you a novella! Sorry. Elmo stirs up a lot of emotions around here apparently. ;)

I'm glad that Iilya is able to enjoy him! Cute cake!