We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
On Having a Second Child
Y'all crack me up...I've gotten more emails and comments from you people, about my upcoming post about having a second child.  It's a post I've been thinking about & working on for a little while, now, and really (considering what you all are probably thinking) it's nothing exciting.  But I figure I'll go ahead & post it.  So here goes...
---------------------------------------

I grew up in a household with four children. I was (and still am, at last check) the oldest...and of course, the wisest. :) We were all spaced fairly close together with a total of 8 years between me and my youngest brother. When she had me, my mom was 20 and (if you do the math) she was 28 when she had my youngest brother.

As a little girl, I knew I wanted a house full of children when I grew up. I wanted to get married and have my first baby when I was 20 years old. Just like my mom. Fortunately, I found Mr. Right, and I got married when I was (gasp!) 19. Not that Nathan was a check on my checklist, but it seemed like things were working perfectly according to my (keyword here: MY) plan.

Of course, 20, 21, and 22 came and went without a baby - or even a single pregnancy...but I remained determined. I revamped my plan. Have 4 kids before I turned 30. That was certainly do-able. I just might have to space them a little closer than I'd originally planned. (of course, Nathan wasn't quite as keen on having 4 kids - he had grown up in a family with two children - but he was willing to start with two & reevaluate as time went on)

Now, remember, I mentioned that this was MY plan. Looking back, I can see a much bigger plan at work - with things falling into place pretty perfectly. If we'd had children when we'd originally intended on having them, I would've gone through 2 years of being a single parent, due to the military...I might not have finished my college degree...I wouldn't have had the wonderful job opportunities I've had.

And most of all, there would be no Iliya in my life.

And that totally floors me.

But I do stop and think about where we are today, in relation to where I'd always planned to be at this point. Afterall, at my age, my mom had 4 children - the youngest of whom was already a year old.

I still want a house full of children. But as it turns out, the financial aspect of having our first has completely wiped out our ability to even think about having another anytime soon. And I am also 29 and Iliya will be 3 at the end of this month...so there goes my dream of being a young mother to a house full of children that are fairly closely spaced together.

Am I whining? Yeah, probably, just a little bit. But sometimes it's just the way I feel. Yes, we could have done things differently - like saved all our money before we set out to adopt - but then I look back at that "bigger" timeline, and I still think...if anything had happened any differently - even a day or two off - much less a year or more! - then I wouldn't have that precious child of mine.

And again, that totally throws me for a loop. And I am torn between feeling self-pity and tremendous relief that things have happened the way they have happened.

But it doesn't stop me from looking toward the future and our own family situation. Many of the parents who have had children (adopted or otherwise) around the same time we brought Iliya home already have - or are in the process of having - their second child. A part of me can't help myself when I feel a pang of envy. It's not really right for me to feel melancholy at someone else's joy - but it is something I definitely have to work on.

And then I think of the many times in the past 10 years that I have felt these same feelings...and look where I ended up. I'm the mom to the most precious child on earth. He isn't the child I would've had if we had gone by MY timeline, and I am able to look back and thank God for all the struggles we've been through on this road to parenthood. And if Iliya is the only child I'll ever have, then I should (and will) count my blessings. And if he isn't, then I know that things will work out as they should, when they should...and I guess the wonderful thing about it is that I know the time will be perfect.

And in 10 more years, I'll probably be able to look back, follow up, and tell you just how everything worked out "just right" and how unknowing I really was on this very day.
8 Comments:
You are so right to feel the way you do. I know I had ideas of what my life as a mom would look like. I came from a family of fertile Myrtles and NO ONE of my aunts (whom I took so much after in every other way)ever experienced any troubles with having children. So, when we had one and then two devastating miscarriages I began to reevaluate what happiness would look like to me. I remember holding out Nat in my arms and how precious she was (and still is of course) to me because I had almost given up hope that that day would ever actually come. Then two years later - another blessing. Now Dmitry. I have to admit, I wonder if we could be so 'lucky' a second time and then I feel instantly ashamed because I know that with the God that I serve 'luck' has nothing to do with it! I know that if He wanted to, He could give me 100 more kids just as wonderful as Dmitry. I don't say this to take anything away from my dear sweet son but just to make a point that even that task would not be impossible for Him. Yet, He is all about timing and what is best for us and the older I get the more I surprised I am to learn just how little I know about what I truly need (and sometimes what I really want). I am such a fan of Iilya. I have a hard time imagining 'lightening striking twice in one place' and yet I know too (as you said in your post) that if God wanted to and when God wanted to... nothing could hold Him back from blessing you again with an equally awesome kiddo! I think you all are such awesome parents that I can't help but to pray that He does (at LEAST once more)!

Blogger Jane said...
it's almost never how we plan "it" to be... being content with God driving the roads we travel is the BEST.

thank you for sharing this post, it puts my attitude in place today.

Blogger Carey and Norman said...
Oh Melissa, I think we all as women/wives/moms go through our future plans over and over in our minds/dreams. First, we think about our future husband. Then, it is our wedding. Finally, we think about our families. We think about the perfect time to have children, how many children, their names, and separation in ages. I don't think any of us can predict God's plan. Like you, I think the blessings come in the unknowns when we figure out how great God has been in his plans for our lives. And, you are still a young mother in today's world. We are mid 30's with two little ones and I too still dream of another. Many women are having children or adopting into their 40's, so you have plenty of time to save and plan for 2...3...or 4 children!! Just have faith. God will work it out.

Many Blessings.

Blogger Unknown said...
I never thought I'd have two girls spaced out nine years apart. Or be in grad school and pregnant at 35. Definitely NOT my plan!! God's not finished with you and Nate yet, I know it.

Smooch the boy for me and tell him that Aunt KiKi says hello!! love you, Kristy

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I understand where you're coming from completely...and I'm 37 and hubby is 45. This year I wondered when a second child would enter our lives...especially since the well is dry. It's likely that Alexander will be our only child, and I am completely fine with that. Took a long while to accept this concept and it's really OK. Like you said, things HAD to go a certain way in order for us to get these great little boys. If a second child is in the cards, then we have to let things go the same route. Would be nice to know ahead of time, of course.

Blogger Bill and Myra said...
I follow your blog on a link from Carey's blog (one of my children is from the same orphanage as Carey's daughter). I just had to comment - what you said was so beautifully written. I do hope that one day you will have another child (if that is God's will). Based on your posts, you are such an incredible mother and your son is so lucky to have you in his life.

Ten years ago, I would have never imagined that I would be married, let alone have 2 older boys that we adopted from Russia. Trust me, our recent adoption from Vladivostok was so much more expensive than our first adoption from Tver(by a long shot!).

Best wishes to you!

Myra

Blogger V said...
I just wrote a blog entry about our timetable vs Gods today on my blog :) coincidence! I just began reading your blog as we are starting our adoption journey as well!

Blogger Tony and Dawn said...
Hey, we are 45 with SIX (ages 5 to 18)! Believe me,the Lord will provide all the energy you need should you adopt later. There are soooo many needy children and we have even mentioned that we might even do it again. God Bless -