Yes...yes...yes. I am still around...everything is okay...and I still have pictures to share with you, but I just have not gotten around to putting them online. I feel like a slacker, but...well, I guess I'll just have to be a slacker. Thanks to those of you who have been concerned enough to make sure everything is okay! :)
Everything has been busy but fine around these parts.
So let me tell you about our
weekend.My parents have been
dying to stay with our child since we got married almost 10 years ago. Yeah, they've been looking forward to the day that we would have children, so that they could do the grandparently thing and keep them overnight for us. Unfortunately, things didn't go exactly as planned, so they had to wait a
tiny bit whole lot longer than we ever thought they might.
And then, when we finally
did have a child for them to keep overnight, because of said child's institutional background, we really didn't feel comfortable leaving him with anyone overnight. Even our parents. It was hard enough sending him to daycare - an institution - so quickly after we came home with him. But he has thrived and done exceptionally well with daycare. Our parents or siblings have kept Iliya a few times when we've needed them to, in the past year...but no one has kept him overnight for us.
And then...after Christmas, Iliya really has taken huge strides in his development. He has begun talking more, hugging more, laughing more (if that's possible), asserting himself more.
So when we got word that the ANG Wing would be hosting their annual military banquet this past weekend, we knew we couldn't miss it! But that meant that we would need a babysitter. And since the banquet would be on a Saturday night, about an hour from our house, we figured it might be a good time to try a night away.
Of course, I was nervous. But when I talked to my parents, to see about their plans for that weekend, they took me up on the offer, without hesitation. But there were a few things to consider...not the least of which was
where to keep Iliya.
We threw around a few ideas - should they keep him at our house? Should they come to Birmingham and keep him in a hotel, there, just in case he needed us? In the end, I developed some pretty strong feelings on what we should do.
Keeping his history in mind, we chose NOT to have my parents stay at a hotel, in case he needed us. Why? Less than a year ago - Nathan and I walked into the baby home and picked Iliya up, severing ties to those he loved and anything he ever knew as normal. Even though he knows - and is comfortable with - those who are closest to us, what would keep him from worrying that history was repeating itself? Afterall, that's what we did. Took him to a hotel, where he didn't know anyone and had very little that was familiar.
So staying at a hotel was out.
We felt like he would be most comfortable if he were in his house, sleeping in his bed, close to his dogs & cats & toys, able to look at his pictures. That way, there wouldn't be as much unfamiliarity for him. My parents were fine with this plan...they were just thrilled that their dream was finally coming true!
So I got busy, writing out his schedule and how to handle "the usual."
Friday night, I put Iliya down to sleep at his regular time. My parents arrived shortly thereafter...and after a little visiting, Nathan & I were on the road, headed to Birmingham. Nathan had Drill the next morning, so instead of having to get up so early on Saturday, we decided to go to Birmingham on Friday night, and make a weekend of it.
While Nathan worked, I spent Saturday reading, relaxing, (mostly window) shopping, and eating with my aunt & sister.
And Iliya? He had a fantastic time. On Friday, he had coughed almost all day...and was running a fever on Friday night. I felt horrible leaving him, but my mom kept an eye on his temp and said it stayed down the rest of the weekend. Nevertheless, they took it rather easy for most of the day on Saturday. They kept to his routine as closely as possible; he frequently asked where his Mama & Dada were, but after my parents explained that Daddy had to work, and that Mommy had gone with him, Iliya seemed to be okay.
For dinner on Saturday night, they met Nathan's parents for dinner, and then went out to the UA campus after they ate. I think both pairs of grandparents had a great time chasing after Iliya...who was chasing after squirrels and hitting on the pretty girls on campus. That's him. My son, the womanizer. Already!
Saturday night, my mom said that bedtime went very well. They followed his normal routine and after talking about seeing Mommy and Daddy the next day, he went right to bed, without a fight.
While they were chasing squirrels, girls, and finally going through the bedtime routine, Nathan and I were at the hotel, getting ready & making our way downstairs to the banquet. We had a fantastic time...the food was delicious, and we saw friends that we don't get to see very often. Have I mentioned we had a super fun time?? The great part was - when it was time to leave, we simply had to walk back to the elevators & ride up to our room. Please don't ask for pictures. I'm embarrassed to say that I took my point & shoot camera...and it had a FULL memory card. Who
does that kind of thing? Well, apparently
I do. We'll have our "prom pic" (haha) in a couple of weeks, so if it's a decent picture, I'll post a copy of it for you to see.
Sunday, Nathan had his 2nd day of Drill, so I got up & got ready for church. My parents brought Iliya over to me, so we could swap out cars. We went to church together, and then they headed on home while I took Iliya to my aunt's house for lunch & a nap.
After naptime, we went back by the ANG base to pick Nathan up. While we waited for Nathan's work day to end, Iliya & I watched planes take off and land. He thought the "BIIIIIIIG planes" were so cool! We even saw a few "baby planes" (probably cessnas, though I'm not well-versed in types of planes). When Nathan
finally got through, we visited with a few friends, stopped really quickly at the "helicopter/airplane park" on base, and then were on our way home.
Here are a few pics from the park on base. They're not great pictures, because I took them with my phone (remember, full memory card on my better camera?) but some pictures are better than no pictures at all. And Iliya thought the "BIIIIIIIG" helicopters and "BIIIIIIG" airplanes were really cool. But that lasted about 2 minutes. Then he became REALLY more interested in all the rocks than the airplanes. Go figure.



(now, what is he doing here? who knows.)
By the way...Happy Birthday to Nathan!! He turned 31 on Sunday. When we got back in town, we went to dinner with his parents, and then we went home, unpacked, and turned in for the night.
So that's my weekend update. Yesterday, Iliya had a tough time at school...he was still overly tired from the weekend, so he was irritable yesterday afternoon (who wouldn't be after such a busy weekend?). We went home last night, cooked Nathan's favorite dinner, made some birthday cupcakes, and had an overall pleasant & relaxing evening. I got Iliya in bed on time, and I hope that he's back to himself today.
And there you go! The update about our busy, but very fun weekend!
More pictures are forthcoming! I promise...and I'll need to get them up, soon, lest you think I'm a teller of untruth!
Blessings,
Pam Parker
Joy
I loved the helicopter pictures. Iliya is getting to experience many things having a daddy in the military. Something all boys love!!
Cute pics of the kiddo.