We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Sunday, April 27, 2008
Canoe Trip 2008
Do you remember our inaugural canoe trip last year?

The one where we started out with lifejackets and ended up pulling our canoes for miles upon miles? Because we tried canoing in the middle of a drought?

Oh yeah, that one.

Well, we decided not to be deterred by such a negative an interesting experience, and we set sail on our second annual canoe trip this weekend. We had (intensely) watched the weather forecast for a week, hoping that the weekend would hold no storms to prevent our trip...and as it turned out, we had nice weather for the majority of the trip. We had really wanted to return to the river we canoed last year, but given the fact that the water levels were up...oh, pretty much NONE, we decided to go with a somewhat larger river that would not have the same water-level-issues. Because it was a bigger river, it was not (at least to me) nearly as scenic...but we really did have a fun time. We lost one canoer (Sarah) from last year, and gained three this year: my youngest brother - Johnathan, his girlfriend -Tessa...and the newest addition to our family - Iliya!

The funny thing is that - last week - when various people asked me what our plans were for the weekend, I would tell them that we were planning to canoe/camp...as long as the weather held out for us. They nodded their heads with approval and then asked who would be keeping Iliya while we went. You can imagine the looks I received when I said that he would actually be going with us. "...in a canoe? Camping?" But of course! Why not?




Photobucket
ready for canoing? We shall see!

I'll be the first to admit that I was nervous. We hadn't had the opportunity to go on a practice run with him...but we just decided that we would go and have no expectations. If he didn't want to sit still or even get in the canoe, then we would just have to be okay with not forcing him. We were prepared for the possibility of having to turn around and return home. But you know what?








LINK

He exceeded the highest hope we had for him. I believe this child was born to be outdoors. He didn't hesitate to get in the water...he didn't mind his life jacket...he really wanted to keep playing in the water, but didn't mind getting in the canoe...he sat in the front of the boat with me and took in all the sights.


There was only one mishap in which Iliya went overboard. At the end of this post is a video, where Iliya is recapping the trip with me...but I'll quickly give you my version. He had really wanted to put his hands down in the water as we went along, so one time, I held on to him tightly and let him splash in the water a few minutes; he had a lifejacket on - and the water wasn't very deep, so I wasn't terribly worried about him falling in. He actually did not fall in at that point. But later (he was sitting, not playing in the water), I had my hand on his back (not holding on at this point), I turned my head to give a quick answer to a question asked by Nathan. As I turned back around, Iliya was falling out of the canoe and Nathan jumped in the water to get him. Aside from the fact that the water was very shallow, and Nathan scraped his knee on the bottom of the river, everyone was fine. Iliya was a bit shaken, because I don't think he expected to fall in. But after crying a bit, he was okay - and ready to float on.


before the fall


after, playing with tessa & sporting a "faux hawk"

I paddled most of the time, but there were a few times, when he got really tired, that Nathan did most of the work so that I could hold Iliya. We had gotten up early Saturday morning, so he actually fell asleep toward the end of Saturday's leg of the trip. Fortunately, the water was not too rough, so Nathan was able to handle a half-hour of paddling while Iliya slept. And the poor little guy slept right through me getting out of the canoe & into a chair on the bank, while everyone else set up camp for the afternoon/night, and then played in the river.




Our campsite was on a small island that - because the water levels are so far down - had a beach-like quality. The area would normally have been under water - leading up to the campsite was very rocky...and then it was sandy. Just like the beach. And you remember how Iliya enjoyed the beach? Once he woke up from his nap, he was ready to play hard. So Nathan played with him while the rest of us caught a quick nap...He played in the sand...and then got brave and wanted to go swimming in the river.



deep in conversation






I guess I didn't realize that the water would be as warm as it was...so (silly me) I didn't pack swim diapers, only regular diapers. So Iliya started out swimming in his regular diaper and quickly swapped to skinny dipping. He wasn't really happy to get out of the water, but it was soon time to eat dinner.



Our food consisted of a variety of camp foods - which are always simple, but taste so delicious after a day of hard work! We also started a fire and after I put Iliya down for the night, the rest of us sat around the fire for a little while before the rain moved in with a vengeance.



We took a large, thin, inflatable camp mattress for Nathan, Iliya & I to sleep on...everyone else slept on their own camp mat & sleeping bag. I was surprised at how well Iliya did with the bedtime routine...but I really shouldn't have been surprised, given the fact that he had been going - almost nonstop - since 6:30 Saturday morning! In fact, he slept through some very hard rain, fairly strong winds, and a thunderstorm! He woke up once, after the storm went through, and was a bit disoriented. He cried for me and finally fell back asleep after snuggling for a little while.

This morning, we took our time in waking up, and then we ate breakfast, broke down the campsite, and had a little devotional before heading out for the second leg of our trip.


c'mon mom, it's really too early for pictures!



As we paddled this afternoon, Iliya kept reminding me that, yesterday, he had fallen out of the boat with a big "splash" and then he cried, but daddy saved him. But then he would (for lack of a better term) "joke" about it. He would look at me, and act like he was moving toward the edge of the boat, while saying, "Whoa, mama! Whoa!" The little rascal. I reminded him that, maybe he thought it was funny to joke about it...but he wouldn't think it was so funny if he really were to fall in again. That seemed to do the trick.



We finally made it to our final destination and got loaded up to come back home. We had a great trip! And I don't even think that I would say that Iliya was a trooper - because, to me, that term implies that there is a lack of desire, but a grudging willingness to go along. Instead, I think he had the best time of all of us - he truly enjoyed himself...which makes me actually look forward to our next trip.


the 2008 group, after having survived an awesome, but exhausting trip -
Johnathan, Iliya, Tessa, me, Nathan, Christopher & Jarred






LINK
15 Comments:
Blogger Grammy of five said...
Oh, wow, did I enjoy that post! I have to admit, Uncle Bill couldn't imagine Miss going camping - but wait till he sees this! Looks like you had a great time and Iliya had the best time! And the resident child-rearer expert's garage sale made the trip more comfortable for him/her! Really enjoyed the pics - made me want to be there - maybe next year, you can invite some of us older folks! Canoeing wasn't my favorite -guess I'm afraid of falling out - but if we had a destination in mind and camping overnight - I definitely could handle it! And a short note on the potty training - right on - can't say I felt that 35 years ago - but we grow a little wiser as we grow older - sometimes!

Blogger Ronda said...
I loved the photos. Good for you for getting Iliya out in woods. I laughed so hard at the idea of him toppling over the edge. Did your heart skip a beat?

We're still waiting for the snow to melt before we can get our little ones out in the woods. Camping is top of our list for summer activities this year. Your canoe adventure has inspired me to try it with mine. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ronda

Anonymous Anonymous said...
HOW FUN!!! Iliya is so lucky to have parents that aren't afraid to get him out and try new things!!!

Love,
Andrea

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Looks like a blast!! I love the pics of him sleeping in your arms...that sweet little face!! What a fun adventure you all had! They can do just about anything that we can! :)

Blogger Lindsay said...
You look as if you all had a fantastic trip. Lovely photos - and I love that in the last video, Iliya signs mommy and daddy while telling you who went on the trip. So cute!

I have to admit I laughed when you said you had 'lost' one canoer - I thought for a moment that was meaning 'as in, still floating around out there'!

I'm glad Iliya didn't let his little fall put him off his adventures. Have fun on your next trip, and thanks for sharing.

Blogger Robin said...
Wow looks like you all had a load of fun. Glad that you had a much more successful trip this year.

Blogger Susan said...
What an awesome trip, I'm so jealous! Glad to hear that Iliya did so well with it all, what a little outdoorsman you have!

I am incredibly impressed that you braved a canoe trip with a 2 year old!! Iliya did so great! I loved seeing the pictures and videos too. He is just too sweet. I would love to take a trip together someday!

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
You do realize you have the most precious, cutest child in the world, right?? Loved the pictures and it looks like you had a GREAT time! :-)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Wow looks like you had a great trip I am jealous!! The video of Iliya was priceless and the end melted my heart! He is a sweety!!

Blogger Jane said...
Can we come on the next trip!

I've camped a bunch, been white water rafting, so I think cannoning would be way cool!

so glad that Iliya recovered from the overboarding, I think I would have been a little rattled even with him wearing a life jacket.

I love how God knew Iliya and your interests....He never makes mistakes.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Ok...so no one yet has asked...(**humming the theme**) which one of you all is Gilligan, which one is Thurston Howell III & Lovey (Mrs. Howell), which is Skipper, the Professor, Mary Ann & Ginger??? Okay...so I know the answer to those questions....I just figured out on my own...Ginger had other plans, so she stayed behind & the rest of the crew travelled on :o) and you added a new, little crew member -- must have been a stow away in the series :o)

Loved!!! the photos, the video & the story! It warms my heart to see siblings & their friends enjoying recreational time together! Another of God's many blessings...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
this trip was soo much fun melissa! Iliya did so good and I would have to agree I think he had the best time of all which is saying a lot!

love you, Tessa

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Looks like yall had a fantstic trip!!! Good for yall to take little man on a camping trip! Shana

Blogger MandyJo013078 said...
Melissa -
That is so awesome - my parents used to do that kind of stuff with me when I was little - I was the only child for six years. So they took me horseback riding, camping, farming, gardening etc. I think that is wonderful that you took him camping/canoing! That is so cool. Thanks for sharing! What a great story for Iliya when he gets bigger! I'm so happy for you guys!