We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Friday, April 25, 2008
I May Be A Bit Crazy
Several years ago, I babysat regularly for a little girl, who was almost 3, and the youngest of 3 children. At the time, she was in diapers & sleeping in a crib. Having already gotten the 2 older children squared away with being "older children," her parents were just not interested in rushing things along. I don't know if it was more, because they were tired & just didn't want to fool with it before this little girl was ready...or because they realized that she wouldn't be in diapers & a crib forever & all things come in time.

I also remember thinking that when I had children, I'd probably want to really start working on potty training and big kid beds around the age of 2. I'm not sure why I really wanted to push it - but I guess when you don't have kids, it's easy to think you know what you will want.

But there was a kink thrown in there.

My child did not come home from the hospital a few days old; instead, he came home when he was almost 2 years old. So even though I had entertained thoughts - previously - of stuff happening around the age of 2, I totally revamped my expectations. I never expected Iliya to be potty trained, or to sleep anywhere but a crib. In fact, I laughed to myself when the baby home doctor told me that Iliya dressed himself and was potty trained...and then proceeded to implore that we not let Iliya lose any of his independence.

The thing was, I missed out on the complete dependence age with Iliya, and I didn't mind (actually, wanted) Iliya regressing a little bit and depending on me...and well, just being a baby for a little while.

And if you'll notice in the pictures I post, my baby is really not so much a baby anymore...but a little boy. He did regress in the beginning - but has come so far in so many ways. He talks and can (more or less) carry on a short conversation...he feeds himself and drinks out of an open cup...his little brain and body are constantly in motion and I see him growing up so fast.

But honestly? I don't really want to move him out of a crib right now. He's not too big for it, and it keeps him contained (he only sleeps in it anyway). And really, diapers do not bother me one bit. Yeah, they are expensive (but we buy less expensive brands!)...but there are a whole 'nother set of issues when a child is potty trained. One has to educate herself on the location of bathrooms - everywhere - in case of an emergency...and when road (or air or boat) trips are involved, so are bathroom stops, when dealing with child-sized bladders. Nathan or I can "hold it" - but we wouldn't expect Iliya to be able to do the same for an extended amount of time. So yeah, there are some things that come along with potty training that I'm simply not quite ready for.

And Iliya has expressed a deep interest in the potty. He seems to know what one does in the potty. And he even acts like he wants to sit on the potty. But when we actually start to go for it, he chickens out and I just don't force the issue.

I guess I haven't had the "standard" 2 years that has caused me to tire of changing diapers. I don't mind it...and I know that my boy won't be in diapers or sleep in a crib forever. But I'm beginning to think that I might be crazy for not minding my 2 1/2 year old to be a baby for a little while longer. Most parents are pushing their kids, but me? I'm good with status quo in this area for a while, yet.
10 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
So, so true!! We talk about the potty and all the fun things that go along with it...but I know that G will not be ready (us either!!) when he's 2 and probably then some. All kids end of potty trained...I agree...why rush it?? We need our "baby" time with these boys of ours....they are growing up too quickly as it is! :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I don't believe it's "crazy" at all to feel that way. With you (hope you don't mind that I post this for the world to read), you grew up so fast in those early years -- I don't believe that it was any rush that I/we was/were in, but you were :o) You were "potty trained" just before you turned 2. On the other hand, your brothers & sister, all were close to 3, if not 3. When you're old enough to choose the kind or color of diaper you wear, then it's probably time move on to then next step :o) I believe it was just your nature to be very independent -- remember how you wanted your training wheels off your little bike before you turned 5 & mastered it, not wanting any help from Dad & I. The others weren't quite so determined. Yet then as you all got older, you were much more a "home-body" and each sibling as they reached the teenage years became more & more interested at an earlier age to be on the go -- constantly by the time Johnathan reached that age :o) So, I believe it's best left up to the child to mature at his/her own speed and we all "grow" together. The most important thing (which you are doing) is to spend time together & not to wish those stages away & to be consistent in what you do & say. Folks would ask us what we did to have 4 well-behaved children -- first & foremost, it was God's blessing that He blessed us with 4 wonderful children and that He instilled in us enough common sense to know how to be consistent (for the most part) in love & discipline. It saddens me so much to see parents threaten children with disciplinary action (& I mean the kind delivered with love) and then just give up because they don't have what it takes to carry through. I guess that's my sermon for the day :o)

Iliya is so blessed to have a mommy & daddy as caring, loving parents and we are all so very blessed by the joy he brings us!
Love you much,
mom/granmom

Blogger Jennifer said...
Thanks for the "sermon" Aunt Lini - even though it was not for me! Good luck with potty training and let me know what works for you!

Blogger Unknown said...
Don't beat yourself up. I had Natalie from day one, and I was never in a big hurry for her to potty train. You're absolutely right - he won't be in diapers and a crib forever, so why worry? As far as the crib goes, Natalie didn't leave that behind until well after 3. If you try a "big" bed too soon, they can wind up roaming the house and getting hurt. Just my opinion, for what it's worth! love you, Kristy

Blogger Joy said...
I do not think you are crazy one bit. I am one of 6 children and my mother never worried about these things. She would always say "I have not sent one of you to kindergarten in a diaper yet!"

I do not know why anyone would push that issue with a child. They will grow up soon enough no need to rush. Here is a funny story my nephew Aristotle (3 years old) was potty trained by his older cousin who was 6 months older.

They both kicked us out of the bathroom and told us that they needed privacy. So we could not help but to listen to every word closely. It was so funny.
Joy

Blogger MandyJo013078 said...
Iliya will let you know when he's ready - it's perfectly fine that you don't push him. Don't worry about it - sweating the small stuff doesn't make anyone happy!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
When it is time, it will happen. I share your beliefs. I'm not rushing Alexander out of the crib or those diapers...my son is still emotionally and socially "young" so I'm just letting him dictate how things will go. And I do not mind a bit.

Blogger Allison said...
I know exactly how you feel. We have never felt the need to push the boys to meet any expectations or milestones. We actually encouraged regression once we brought them home. They are only little once and I soaked up every single minute of it. Heck, Monkey was still sleeping in the crib well after he was 3-years-old and would probably still be sleeping there if we didn't move him out to make room for his baby sister. Believe me, when they get bigger (like Chipmunk at 5 1/2 years old) and they want to do everything for themselves, you will fondly remember this time with him while he is still dependent on you.

I am on the same path of thought with you when it comes to Dima. Even though he is a little younger, I still am not looking at 2 as the magic potty training age. He'll let you know when he is ready.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Delainey still sleeps in her baby crib at her Nana's. I think he can sleep in his crib as long as he can fit in it. Shana