We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
It's in the Eyes
Look what we got today! School pictures! (probably shouldn't have scanned it, but I couldn't resist letting you have a peek!)

There was a time, when I thought that Iliya was doing SO well. And you know what? He was. Given everything that we put him through to bring him home, he did considerably well. He smiled, and he laughed, and he engaged us, and he allowed us to engage him.

But in comparing some recent pictures & video with some older footage, I have noticed how different his eyes are now...it is hard to explain, but I guess the easiest way to say it is that his smile completely, and totally reaches his eyes now. And his actions are so genuine. I wonder if those of you - who know Iliya in person, or who have been following this blog for any length of time - have noticed what I'm talking about.

Months ago, when he looked at - and interacted with - us, (what I didn't realize then is that) it was more with curiosity...sort of wondering how we would react to him. And if I dare project, it was almost as if he was hoping we would react in a positive way to him. But now, he looks at us...knowing that we will respond - expecting a response. He never minded us holding him or snuggling with him - but he didn't initiate hugs and other physical contact with the absolute gusto that he does now. We are more predictable for him, now, as his parents, than we were 9 months ago, as strangers...and even 3-4 months ago as psuedo-strangers.

There is a confidence in this child that totally blows me away - and for me, it can all be seen in his eyes and in the way he moves. And I wonder, in another 6 months, will I look back at this post and think on how well I thought he was doing today? Even though he will always be my baby - he's just not a baby anymore. And as much as it kills me, it also makes me so proud for his progress - progress that has been made in small steps here & there that add up to great strides. Just look at his eyes. You'll see it there.
15 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Melissa,

Iliya is just tooooo cute! I can't believe how fast he has gone from looking like a baby to being such a handsome little boy. Cherish every moment no matter how small.

Ruth Womack

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yep, I can def. see it in his eyes!! And he is such a joy to be around, we cherish each and every moment we have with him. Soon, very soon, there will be many more moments, hours and maybe even days(!) that we can share. We are soooooo looking forward to being in T-Town full time!!
We love yall, Nana & Papa

Blogger Maggie said...
I know what you mean. I can see that type of change in Slugger, too.

Iliya's school pic is adorable!!!

Blogger Jane said...
I clicked on the pic before reading, his expression is of total happiness and comfort. And quite a ham he is. You hit the nail on the head when you said his smile is complete not that it goes all the way to his eyes. You guys have done a GREAT job helping him adjust. There's nothing better than a smiling and laughing child!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I totally see the change...he has definite light and life in his eyes now. He is SO handsome...just precious!! What a big boy he looks like now!

Blogger Joy said...
Melissa I totally agree with you he has a light in his eyes. I am still waiting for a referral and some of my family members do not believe that a child who is adopted from Russia will thrive. When ever I am faced with these remarks I show them the pictures and videos of Iliya or Owen. You and your husband are remarkable parents.
Joy

Blogger Unknown said...
I don't just have words for that level of cuteness! Love you much, Kristy

Blogger Shane & Marie said...
Too cute! This school picture came out so well! I definitely see the light in his eyes.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
He's absolutely adorable! You can definitely see the change in his eyes. He adores you guys! I'm so happy for your family.
Tammy in Germany (fortmeademom)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hey, We lived at Ft. Meade when Nathan was born. Small world, huh? I agree, that level of cuteness is beyond words!! His eyes truly do dance!
Love to all, Nana

Anonymous Anonymous said...
His smile certainly has a way of lighting up a room!!! His little personality is just as cute as his smile!

You and Nate really have done a great job!!!

Love,
Andrea

Blogger Nancy said...
His smile sparkles! What a great picture!

Absolutely we can see the difference!! What a precious school picture. Isn't it amazing to see the changes in just 9 months at home?

Blogger Sira said...
I know what you mean totally. You have explained this very well, the eyes and the confidence, I see such a differnce in my child as well... My child's laugh is so much more geniune then before, now he laughs and it comes so deep within

Blogger Jane and Jim said...
Yes! You can definitely see the happiness in his eyes - he's doing soooo well!
He's such a precious little man.