We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Tuesday, May 06, 2008
Quodlibet: Heaven's Medley
What's that you say? Quodilbet?

A big word for a fairly simple concept. Let me explain:

Saturday evening, after we put Iliya to bed, my parents stayed at the hotel with him while Nathan & I ran over to see my brothers' house. My brother, Christopher, has created a recording studio out of two bedrooms in the house...it's a pretty cool setup, though I'm not surprised he did it. He's a pretty cool cat (he's probably laughing, right now, that I said that) and I've always thought so...even in the days when I hardly let him get a word in edgewise. (who, me? talkative? never!)

I thought I would try to share something that we ended up doing Saturday night.

------------------------------------------
Quickly, if you are not familiar with "partner songs," here is a little info for you:

The term “partner song”, sometimes called “quodlibet”, has 2 basic meanings:
  1. Two or more totally independent songs that by chance happen to have the same harmonic structure and therefore can be sung together at the same time.
  2. A song written intentionally with different independent lines that all harmonize with each other to form an interlocking ‘partnership’.
------------------------------------------

So that's what we did. We found a collection of partner songs - actually a collection of 5 old spirituals - and sang them together. And knowing that my siblings might take me out (in a not-so-good-way) for posting this, I just wanted to share. Keep in mind, it is a pretty rough recording (meaning, we didn't do a lot of takes - and it was fairly late at night), but it ended up being a pretty fun last-minute project.

Here are the songs to listen out for:

When the Saints go Marching In
I'm Gonna Sing
This Train is Bound for Glory
Heaven is a Wonderful Place
Swing Low, Sweet Chariot

(you may have to hit "Play" then "Pause" to let it load)



Powered by Podbean.com
10 Comments:
Blogger Maggie said...
That was enjoyable. It must have been fun to record. Who's singing "I'm Gonna Sing?" You? If so, you have a nice voice.

Blogger ana said...
Very cool! Sounds like you had a lot of fun!

Blogger Melissa said...
Maggie - unfortunately, no...it is my sister singing that part. She does have a good quality to her voice! :)

That was so good. Sounds like you have a lot of fun together. My bro and sis and I also love to sing together. I don't think we've ever recorded anything though. That would be something fun to do. I might suggest this medley to our youth leader for a fun sing-spiration challenge song.

Blogger Ginger said...
Such a talented family! Loved it!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
That was great!!! Sounds like yall had a fun time together. Shana

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I am so glad you shared that quodlibet with us! I just love it! You guys did a great job with all the parts. Hallelujah!
Blessings,
Pam Parker

Blogger Heather & Jason said...
Wow! This is very cool! I love it.

Blogger Kris said...
I'm totally impressed with this! Very, very cool!

Blogger Unknown said...
Oh, and I could pick out all the parts and who was singing what, too! Very Nice!