As I sat down to post tonight, I found myself confronted with a severe case of writer's block. I've not been sleeping well lately, so that could be a significant contributing factor, but I suspect it's more that I have finally arrived at a day that I have waited on for so many years...and I just feel overwhelmed with what all I want to say and don't have the words to write. I always thought that I would write about my plight to become a mother and all of the joys of motherhood...which I could very well do.
But instead, my thoughts drift thousands of miles across the ocean to a small town in far east Russia.
In that small town lives a woman who - almost 3 years ago - gave birth to a 6 pound baby boy. We don't know much about that woman, but with a very important decision, she changed our lives. She had issues and made certain choices, as many people do, that prevented her from taking that baby boy home with her; instead, she signed away her parental rights within hours of his birth. So much could be speculated about this woman - was she strong? was she weak? were her intentions selfish - or self
less - when she signed her name to the dotted line and left the maternity hospital? I don't think we will ever know.
But I know this.
She carried my son in her body for 9 months. She didn't have to do that, you know. She could have just as easily found out that she was pregnant and then done what many other women in her predicament choose to do. For some reason, she decided not to do that, and for that decision I will be ever grateful. I don't know what she did during those 9 months, but I catch myself wondering if she had been a victim of morning sickness, or if she had any specific cravings. I wonder about her reaction when she felt him kick for the first time. I wonder if he turned as many somersaults in her belly as he did just this evening. I wonder if her labor was painful or if it was fairly easy.
I wonder. And sometimes wondering makes me sad, and perhaps a touch envious, since her pregnancy experience was not mine. I will never be able to tell my child about cravings and morning sickness and labor pains. Or even about the amazing joy I had when I felt his first kick. But then I think, if I
had had the experience of pregnancy, then my life would be totally different today. I cannot fathom life without my precious child...not just any child, not even a biological child. But the one child that is, at this very moment, in his crib, sleeping off a very busy day. The one that spins in circles and laughs so hard and gallops down the hallway. The very one that falls out of a canoe and finds his own way to tell a story about it. The one that counts to 13 and loves to eat raw tomatoes.
The very child who wakes up in the morning and calls my name, "Mama."
The child who makes Mother's Day a wonderful reality for me.
Another woman carried him for the duration of a pregnancy, and for whatever reason, allowed him to leave her care. I wonder if that baby boy ever crosses her mind, and if he does, I want her to know that from her body, he went to an exceptional baby home. And from there, to his
forever home. In that home, he is warm in the winter and cool in the summer. His belly is always full and he has plenty of clothing to wear. He is growing so fast...his laughter fills the air and his smile lights up a room. And most of all, he has parents that love him more than they ever knew was humanly possible.
Although I will never know the woman who
did experience the pregnancy with my son...I will remain thankful to her for allowing him to live. Because of her decision, I am able to celebrate this, my very first Mother's Day with the most special little boy who grew - not in my body - but in my heart.
This is one of your most beautiful posts. Reading it brought me to tears. I have been thinking about Owen's birthmother more and more lately, and the way you described your feelings hit so close to home for me. You do not have writer's block, my friend. You just created one of your most special writings today :)
Happy Mother's Day!
Love,
Adrienne
Mary
I hope you all have a wonderful day. Congratulations.
Tammy in Germany (fortmeademom)
Happy Mothers Day!
I deleted my earlier comment because I should have put my own email address instead of my daughter's blog address without her permission. She has adopted a little 4 year old girl from Russia and is looking into some information about her daughter's birth family and I thought you might be interested in what she's doing. If it interests you at all my email address is:
a gnir k@ ptc net. net (without the spaces). I would pass on your email to my daughter.
I love your blogs and think you are doing a great job with parenthood. Loved the 'tape' with the singing, that was fun.
Arlene (Babushka to Amanda)
PRAISE GOD, form Whom ALL blessings flow! HE has really worked a multitude of blessings through your precious Iliya and the decisions his birth mother made. GOD knew the end from the beginning and made it all come together in such a beautiful and wondrous way! Hallelujah!
Blessings,
Pam Parker
God's Blessings Always!
What a beautiful post. It has been 34 years ago that I adopted my first 2 children and you made me cry with your post. I had many years of those thoughts. It's been 27 1/2 years since my last adoption. There has never been a year go by that I don't say a prayer for our birth mother's. I too wonder if they are thinking of the children they gave away. Surely if she had the heart to give away her little bundle, she has to think of them and wonder what is going on with their lives. So I say a prayer for the woman who made me a "Mommy", "Momma", "Mama", or "Mum", how ever you want to say it, and thank God for her and her choice's she made. You wrote your best post yet.
Now we look at Father's day and what it means to the dad, Nathan.
God Blessed your Family with a love above all loves. And just think, God gave His Son up for someone like us.
Love, Earl & Carolyn Nelson
I may try to find her someday. Actually, I'd start now, but my husband isn't ready for that. I think I just want her to know he's okay. I would also love to have more information to give Ivan when he starts asking questions.
I found your blog through Adrienne's-who I actually found through Angie Smith just wanted to tell you THANK YOU for this blog.
Although my situation is a little (lot) different than yours, I just wanted to thank you for this post. I am the stopmom of a wonderful 5 year old little boy, (who actually lives with his mommy 8 hours away) who loves me like I am the only mommy he has ever know. My eyes got teary when I read certain parts of your blog..."he has parents that love him more than they ever knew was humanly possible"..."I am able to celebrate this, my very first Mother's Day with the most special little boy who grew - not in my body - but in my heart"...."if I had had the experience of pregnancy, then my life would be totally different today. I cannot fathom life without my precious child...not just any child, not even a biological child." Again, our situations are different, but you explained what was in my heart, but just didn't have the words to say.