We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Thursday, January 31, 2008
Happy DE-LURK Day!!
First, let me say, we are halfway to "Happy BRIDGES Day" to Iliya! Though we were able to have custody immediately following court, the judge did not sign our paperwork until after the 10 days was up. So...6 months ago...our paperwork was being signed, and you were able to get your first official blog-look at my sweet child.

Now...

My post, yesterday, got me to thinking...


How do you know about my blog??


You've heard it all before...I started this blog (almost 2 years ago!!) to keep family & friends informed of our adoption process. I don't even know how I knew to even start a blog...but I decided that since we lived away from most of our family, that this would be a great way to keep in touch, to let others know where we were. People wouldn't have to feel "weird" about asking us about where we were in the process...and we wouldn't have to repeat our story continuously & try to remember what we told to whom.

As time went on, and our journey became more activity than mere paperwork, co-workers and people at church would ask how the process was going...and I began giving out our blog address to people I knew.

I also got involved in others' blogrolls, and from there, who knows.

In July 2006 (my first full month of having my stat counter), I had around 1,000 hits to my blog. And now, I average around 5-6,000 hits a month.

So I'm curious...where do you come from? Well...I know where a lot of you come FROM, because I have a map...but who are you?

In honor of Happy De-Lurk Day, I encourage you...find that little thing that says "comments" and post one! Go ahead...even if you're my mom or an acquaintence or my best friend or a stranger in the UK or the President of the United States (now that would be cool, but if anyone puts a comment from GWB, you know I won't believe it's him. Sorry).

There are people that I know used to read & I have no idea if they still do. And there are new readers out there. I should have comments from 'round the world!!
65 Comments:
Blogger Great Aunt Cheryl said...
Well I'm Melissa's aunt (her mom is my OLDER sister). I heard of the blog from Melissa herself--and I check it several times a day for updates--guess you could say I'm one of her blog junkies!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hi Melissa! I actually found your blog through Adrienne & Jim's blogroll BEFORE we even met you guys. So you all looked VERY familiar to me when we finally did meet in Vlad.!!! Amazing how the internet has made the world so much smaller...

Blogger Ginger said...
Count me in with the regular readers and occasional commenters. Love your blog! :-)

Blogger Bethney said...
It's Bethney! I'm still an avid reader of your blog even though I have abandoned my own for quite sometime. Ah, I really need to update that thing! Anyhow, lovin your blog still!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
First, Congratulations for making the "Top 100 Mommy Blogs for 2007" list! How cool!
You know that I hang out in Scottsboro, Alabama, and I am so glad to get to keep up with your family through your wonderful blog! Thanks so much!
Blessings,
Pam Parker

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Well, since you mentioned me in your post, I feel honored to post this time :o) Of course a/b 1000 of those hits a month are mine & dad looking at pictures & videos repetitively....and another 1000 is Christopher updating his co-workers...so that narrows the field a little :o) And I have to agree with many...in your spare (ha!) time, you need to begin writing a book -- just think, you might be invited to a national syndicated television show....or it could become a made-for-tv movie or a documentary...thinking big here :o)

Since we do have distance between us, I am very thankful to have this avenue of keeping up with the Bridges. Give sweetums a hug for us...
love you ALL!
mom & dad (a.k.a. grandmom & grandad)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm Laura in Virginia Beach, VA. My husband and I just finally brought our son home from Magnitogorsk, Russia 12 days ago (we waited 2 years for a court date). Not sure how I found your blog...probably a link from someone else's blog, but you're in my Blog reader, so everytime you update, I check in! :o)

www.peaseadoption.blogspot.com

Blogger Nathan said...
I heard about the blog when I saw you using the computer one day and you told me what you were doing. I guess I have an inside track.

You've done a wonderful job and I'm sure we would all like to have something like this to read about ourselves when we are older. Keep up the good work.

Blogger Kris said...
I'm Kris from GA. I "met" Melissa online through the now defunk Labor of Love website many years ago when I was pregnant with my now almost 6 year old. We've been internet buddies all these years and have met in person a few times, too.

I do not think I have ever met anyone more real and authentic than Melissa. She is a joy to be around and one of these days I plan to meet that amazing little boy that God sent to turn Melissa into the mother she was born to be!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
My husband and I have been researching international adoption. We have been struggling with infertility for almost 3 years and are trying to decide whether to pursue more treatment or move onto adoption. We have made no decision yet. But I must say that when I read your blog, I lean more towards adoption!

I am not entirely sure how I found your blog. I was just clicking around different blogs and found yours. It is one of a few blogs that I have put in my favorites.

Susan

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm Jeanni from Huntsville, Alabama. I went to school with Nathan in New Hope. A friend of mine from New Hope seen the blog posted in her church bulletin and told me about it. That has been quite a while ago and I check the blog daily. My kids even enjoy reading it and watching the videos.

Blogger Melissa said...
I have been a member of military spouses for years and have "known" you from there. That is how I found out about your blog and have been following it ever since.

MelissaMc

Blogger Laura said...
My name is Laura and I live in Huntsville. I found your blog through Leah's blog roll. I used to work with Leah's brother Jared and used to date her cousin Brent. I also read Telah's blog, so I'm sure I got the link through there too. I have been following your story since before you went to get that sweet boy. What a wonderful miracle you have. Stop by my blog anytime.

=)Laura

Blogger JennStar said...
I think I've posted a few times, so I'm only a semi-lurker. hehehe My hubby & I are also on a Russian adoption journey- waiting on a referal, as our dossier was finally sent in a few weeks ago. So, I read blogs to pass the time and gain a better understanding of what I may run into with our daughter-to-be. I think there should be a link to a blog that links to our real blog (the only way I cold get the comments in blogger to connect to my blog) :o)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Well, it's me again. I have given your blog name out to anybody that was interested. Of course,I'm prejudiced. I also think you should write a book! I don't always post comments, but I check your blog every day, sometimes several times. And like your Mom, I replay those videos...they are so funny! And it's fun to look back and see how much he's grown and changed. Keep up the good work!!
Love, Nana & Papa
(Nate's parents)

Blogger Jodi said...
Hi Melissa! I am certainly responsible for several of those hits each month as I check your blog daily. :) I'm Jodi, mom to two great kiddos adopted from Russia! I'm sure I probably got to your blog from another adoptive mom's blog, but I don't remember exactly.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
My husband and Nate are first cousin's. So, not only is this blog VERY enjoyable to read...it's also a wonderful way to keep in touch with family and keep our children excited about their new little cousin!

Congratulations on the Top 100 list!

Love,
Andrea

Blogger Suzanne said...
No idea how I found you - it was a long time ago. I still read but don't comment often.

Best,

Suzanne

Blogger Nancy said...
Hi! I met Melissa, Nathan, and Iliya while we were on our 2nd trip to Vladivostok. I believe they had court one week before we did. They told me about their blog and I started reading it. I was already reading Adrienne's blog a few weeks before that from the Vlad adopt group. Their blogs have inspired me to start my own! :) Keep up the nice work, Melissa!

Blogger Lori said...
Lori from FL...3 bio kids adopting a little one from Krasnoyarsk, Russia...waiting for a court date and blog watching as much as I can...I have a stiff neck to prove it!

Blogger Robin said...
I am Robin and I know Melissa through a military wives site online that I have been a member of for almost 5 years. I check Melissa blog daily. I am so happy to watch Melissa finally be the mom she was destined to be.

Well, I am a long time listener first time caller... My sister in law always says that. She is so funny. I wouldn't miss a day in the life of Mr. Iilya the handsome for anything. (I was gonna say for all the PBJ's in Russia .. but I'm not sure A)where that thought came from OR B) if that would be a good one to use b/c I was under the impression that maybe they didn't sell PB in Russia. ) How's that for digressing? Oh yeah, that is one thing I've learned from reading your blog. How to recognize and properly label a digresser. :)

Blogger Joy said...
I from New Jersey. I saw your blog on the Russian Adoption Blog and clicked the link. It was about 6 months ago. I had been planning on a Russian adoption for many years but was waiting for the right time and enough money.

Gerard had some serious reservation about getting a child from Russia as did my family. I showed him your blog and the video of your first meeting with your little man that video convinced Gerard that it was okay to go through with the adoption. He started to cry (That is a big deal for him)

I hope and pray only the best things come your way because of so many people that you have touched. I know that we may never meet but know that your family is in my thoughts and prayers.
Joy

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
I'm Becky and I'm SO not a lurker! :-) As you know, I'm adopting a little one from Russia! I have had the great pressure of meeting you, Nathan and Iliya in person! :-) I believe, if memory serves me right, that I found your blog through Adrienne's!

Blogger Jane said...
in SC now, previously in AL and Pittsburgh PA, born and raised in north-east OH.
Found you last spring while blog-surfing. And I must say that I am VERY thankful that I found the three of you. God has truly blessed me through watching your journey. I'm amazed that with all the yuck that happens on the internet, there is such GREAT things going on too.

Blogger Kay B said...
I don't remember how I first found your blog, probably a link from another person's blog. I 'm still checking in every couple of days, but I usually check blogs at work and from there I cannot post comments - somehow that functionality is blocked at work. Anyway, you know our story of adopting from Vladivostok too. I've not been very diligent about posting to my blog, I try to get in there about once a week or so.

Blogger DeanaMarie said...
I found your blog through Lauren and Marco's blog. I adopted two from Nizhny Novgorod Russia in April of '07.

I enjoy reading your blog daily! Oh, and I live in Southern California.

deana

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hi Melissa. I'm Kylie's sister and l have a few favorite adoption blogs I like to keep up on...yours being one of them! Thank goodness Kylie finally started a blog!! You have an adorable lil' guy there!

Blogger Christen L said...
regular reader from Cayman Islands... no idea which blogroll I found you on.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Melissa..I love reading your blog! I know you from the military spouses board, and have kept up with your journey the whole time. I'm so happy for you and your family! Tammy in Germany..aka Fortmeademom

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I also met Melissa many years ago on the military spouses board. I love following the journey that brought your little guy home. He amazes me by everything he does!

Blogger The Missaggias said...
My husband Michael and I knew Nathan and Melissa before they were officially the Bridges family while we were all students at the University of AL. I believe we found out about their blog through an email about a fundraising event to offset some of the adoption costs. Now we check the blog regularly to check out all the wonderful things Illiya is doing.

Blogger Lindsay said...
Don't remember how I found your blog - either through Children's Hope or just a link off another blog I guess. I became a stalker-reader when going through my own adoption research, preparation and (finally) getting my daughter home. I found your writing about the transition and also helping your son bond to be inspirational as well as helpful on a practical level. I still do! I live in Slovakia but am from Scotland.

Blogger Jane and Jim said...
I kind of "know" you through CHI - even though I've since switched agencies, I love reading your blog and will continue to do so as long as you keep blogging!
Your munchkin is PRECIOUS!

Blogger Unknown said...
I'm Nate's sister, Kristy ("Gee Gee" if your name is Iliya Franklin "Sweet Boy" Bridges). This is fun!! I hope that more people write in from around the world. Very cool!! Melissa, you're definitely a pebble dropping in a pond. The ripples just keep going and going!

Love you bunches! Kristy

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Well, I'm Carolyn Nelson and my Hubby is Earl and we are Nathan's Aunt Nancy and Uncle Buddy's best friends from Alabama, and now live in Central Florida. Aunt Nancy told me about the Blog knowing I have adopted 3 children and because she loves ya'll. I am addicted to the blog. If you miss a day I get all bummed out. I'm a reader of books and now this BLOG. I agree with your mom, one day some big director is going to find this blog and see the need to produce a movie. When you miss a day I am lost. It's like reading a good book you can't put down. And I'm one of the group that knows the whole Bridge's family and know they are all one word, LOVE. If I could pick my family, other than my own, it would be all of them. ILiya you are one lucky little man and the family is one lucky family to have him. Well, I'll end in agreement with sister Kristy, you are a pebble in a pond. Well put Kristy.

I think I found your blog through Suz's blog. It was after your first trip to meet Iliya, and I remember being so excited when you got a court date. I don't think I had ever commented before then, although I checked it several times a week at least!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
My name is Hamda I am a lurker I am from Qatar forgot how I got your blog but enjoy reading it daily

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I am a frequent reader. Don't remember how I found your blog. It was either through Bringing Home Bee or Life of Elle. My husband and I have been considering an international adoption, so I enjoy reading other's stories. Your blog is one of my favorites. Thanks AnnMarie

Blogger Tiger & Kar said...
Karyn & Norm from the DC area checking in!

I'm not entirely sure how I ended up finding your blog, but it's been marked in my favorites since I first stumbled upon it. We started following your family while researching international adoption and agencies around Sept/Oct 07. I may have commented on here once or twice but have mainly been a lurker!

We signed with our agency in October and are waiting on clearance from USCIS. Our dossier is already in Moscow being translated. We will be traveling blind and hope to have travel dates within a few weeks of getting our 171H. Your blog has helped us tremendously throughout this whole process. Thanks for sharing so much and helping adoptive families! (Feel free to stop by our blog if you ever have time!)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I found your blog through Aubrey Freeman, I think! I knew Melissa from high school so it was great to catch up again and i have also been so interested in overseas adoption so I was hooked, once I started reading! My heart is China because I lived there for 4 years and my husband and I are hoping to head back over there. So hopefully one day we will have a little Chinese baby just as cute as Iliya!! :)

Blogger MandyJo013078 said...
I'm Amanda Rhoades and I found your blog through Adrienne's I think? My blog is a work in process since I'm working so hard to get to the point in my life financially where I can adopt my own little one from Russia! Can't wait to start and wish I could rush things along! I love hearing about Iliya, you, and Nathan and I think you guys are such a sweet family! I hope that I'm blessed with a little one someday!

Blogger Johnette said...
I am from south Louisiana and found your blog through Carolyn Nelson. She sent me a link to it. I frequently check and enjoy reading about your wonderful family. Thank you for sharing. Feel free to check out ours @ nettemarie2.blogspot.com

Anonymous Anonymous said...
This is Sis (Iliya's older great aunt and Grandmom's older sister) - and I check your blog every day and sometimes twice a day - then I go home to watch the video because I feel funny at work having my earpiece in for 8 minutes while I'm supposed to be working -and then we have to show it to Mamaw- I found your blog through your email telling us about your plan to adopt in April of 2005(?) Time flies....Which reminds me - I'm just waiting till Iliya is old enough to go to Florida with Kaitlyn, Kyle, Drew and me like the nieces and nephews (Hamda, too) did years ago- hope I won't be too old! Keep writing!
Love,
Sis

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Duh, it was April, 2006 - says so right on your blog and on my work email - but I'm at home!
love again,
Sis

Anonymous Anonymous said...
My name is Christen and I heard about the blog from family....My fiancee, Chris, and Melissa's husband, Nathan, are first cousins. I check the blog more than once a day lol I guess you can say I am a blog groupie! I just can't get enough of Iliya's sweet little self!! Love you guys!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Im Janine, and I am from New Zealand.
Found your blog through another AP, when you were stil PAP's. We are begining the adoption route, hoping to adopt from Russia. I love your blog, and your family is so delightful, especially little Iliya! Reading stories such as yours, helps to reassure me that we can do this, and it will work out ok with Gods blessing.
So keep blogging, as the journey doesnt end at home, its only just the beginning. :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hey Im Kellie from Tasmania, Australia. I came across your blog awhile back. I really dont know how. Im thinking it could have started from when I was searching scrapbooking blogs and I kept clicking and came across yours. I still come in every day to see how you are all going. I love the videos. I just think they are great. Really love the animal game the other day. That laugh is so cute :)
Ill keep coming back to read how your family is going. I think its just lovely.

Hugs to you all
Kellie

Anonymous Anonymous said...
OK, my turn!

My name is Lorie and I am from Blue Springs Missouri. My husband and I adopted two handsome boys from Novosibirsk Russia in April of 2006.

I believe that you had posted a question on the CHI yahoo site before one of your trips to Russia and I answered it. We exchanged blog addresses at that time.

I have been checking in ever since!!!

Lorie
MO

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm delurking from Lexington, KY. Hubby and I are hoping to adopt from Russia someday (I'm so impressed you did both grad school and adoption paperwork at the same time!!)... Love the blog! Congrats on Top 100!
-Ana

Blogger Carey and Norman said...
Unbelievable. Great idea to put this on your blog.

We began to read your blog when we started our adoption with CHI since you were on the CHI blogroll waiting b/w trips. We've been following ever since!

We found your blog after we met you in Vlad! We feel so fortunate to have actually met you and Iliya (of course). It's awesome to see how he has changed and to see that sweet little baby turn into a real "big boy!" I (like everyone else) LOVE reading your blog!

~Kathy Gebhardt (Aurora, IL)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hi Melissa:

I found your blog on the CHI web site when I was researching agencies. Although we ultimately went with a different agency, your blog is still my favorite to read. Congrats on being in the top 100!

-Haley

I'm a regular reader of your blog. I found your blog by searching on Google for information around Russia adoptions. My husband and I are in the process of adopting an infant boy from Russia! I love to read your blog!

Blogger Krista said...
I'm Krista from Illinois. I can't remember where I found your blog but it has been invaluable to me as my husband and I work on our adoption of siblings from Nizhny Novgorod, Russia.

Blogger Maeflower said...
Hi Melissa,
You asked your readers to tell about themselves. Well, I'm a new Babushka, my daughter, Kathy, having just adopted a little girl.
She met an American couple and visited them at their apt. This Dede posted on Kathy's blog and from there I read some of Dede's blog and it led me, somehow, to yours. These blogs are so interesting, one could spend all day reading and just hit the tip of them. I'm from NE and Kathy is from Omaha. Congratulations on your adoption, he's a beautiful baby boy. God bless your family.
Arlene

Blogger Unknown said...
This is Kristen. I live in NJ soon to be moving to PA. I know I linked to you blog off a another,but don't remember which one. Even though my husband and I are doing an older child adoption, I love reading your blog and reading about the growth of your family.

Blogger Jessica said...
Hi! I've been reading your blog since a bit before you went to Russia for the second time. I think that I found it while looking at someone else's but honestly, I'm not sure. I plan on adopting but am just not at a point where I can yet...I've enjoyed reading your thoughts and hopefully one day I'll be blogging about my adoption experience.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I found your blog while looking for my cousin's blog (also w/the title words child of mine, on blogspot). My cousin is adopting from Vietnam, and is currently in the waiting period. I had my first baby 10 months ago, and have spent several nights up wayyy too late reading your blog! I really enjoy it, and you have a wonderful way of chronicling your life and experiences. BTW, I live in Seattle.

Blogger Cori said...
Gosh, I've known you for so long, I can't really remember for sure where we met. Was it TLOL?
I think I got the url to your blog in a Christmas letter that you sent me one year. :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hey Melissa,
It's Ms. Heather, one of Iliya's teachers. I absolutely LOVE your blog! This is my first time to vistit and i know i will check it regularly now! Keep up the good work, you are such a special person!
with love,
Heather

Blogger ~Telah said...
I'm a little late "de-lurking" but just wanted to say that I've been reading your blog since your mom told me about the start of your adoption process. I've enjoyed it and plan to continue reading! Happy belated De-lurker Day! :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hi! I'm Jonita. I read your blog from time to time, and enjoy it very much. My daughter, Christen, is engaged to Chris Bridges, so I was introduced to your blog through her. I have enjoyed watching your little one grow. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I found your blog from CHI website. I am 46 and my husband is 53. We have been married 12 years in March. We lost two babies in '97 and '98 since I was not able to carry to term. We considered adoption but time just kept moving on and we never made the time to begin. At this point in my life, I am ready to go for it since I feel with our ages, the chance is slipping away to ever be parents. My husband, however, at this point, feels he is too old and doesn't want this at this stage of our lives. Do you have any suggestions or encouragement? Love your blog and many congratulations on your sweet little boy. You are so blessed!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hello Melissa,
No surprise here. You know that I’ve been a faithful reader of your blog since the day that you sent out the email to all friends and family with the news that you and Nathan planned to adopt from Russia along with the address for the internet journal that you would be keeping to chronicle this life journey. It has been an incredible experience that you’ve shared with us and I have enjoyed every minute. I have only commented on your blog maybe once or twice because I seem to have problems with posting comments. I’m not sure if it’s my computer or me but thankfully I can figure out how to use e-mail:) When you first started your journal I would think sometimes - wonder how the adoption process is going for Melissa and Nathan - and I would search back through old e-mails to find the address for your blog. Duh! Then I discovered that I could put it on my favorites list which made it very handy to check each day. Of course, work (this time of year-tax season) and life, lately illness, or sometimes just disinterest with the computer, make my visits sporadic if not every day but I always check back in and catch up. Which means you will probably not even see me de-lurking, so to speak! But anyway, I love you all and I am so happy that I get to be a part and see your little boy growing up via the Internet even though I don’t get to see him IRL the way that I got to see you and Christopher and Sarah and Jonathan grow up. And what lovely people you grew up to be, by the way! Melissa, you’ve been an inspiration to many who are traveling the same road and to the rest of us you’ve brought much joy. I’ve laughed and cried while viewing the beautiful pictures and videos that you’ve shared. Thanks so much! And God Bless you and your precious family. Iliya, I love the meaning of that name, btw, has so much personality. Nathan, Melissa, and Iliya a perfect blend:) I hope this works, love you, Brenda (from Scottsboro)