We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Changes *Edited @ the bottom*
Okay, so I'm working on these changes. I messed around with so many designs until I actually came up with something that looked halfway decent. I wanted to do something that looked classic & "wintery" - hence the black & blue. In the end, if it really is too hard to read, I'll come up with something else.

Thanks for your comments & thoughts. I've never thought about anyone not liking the Comic Sans font...I guess I've always liked it.

Let me try a few others that might be easier on the eyes. Let's have a vote:

1. This is the ARIAL font

2. This is courier

3. How about the GEORGIA font?

4. Or perhaps Lucida

5. Of course, we could always fall back on "good ole Times"

6. Or Trebuchet...this one is kinda nice. ???

7. And Elle's suggestion -- Verdana (funny, I've always prononuced it "veranda" until just now, when I realized that's not how it is spelled)

-------------------------------------
Edited:

**For now, I've changed everything to the Georgia font. With my "classic" look - I didn't like any of the other fonts so well. Trebuchet was next in line, but it didn't look good for the entire blog. So for now, you get Georgia. I'm still open to opinions, if you've got'em.

2nd Edit:

**Thanks for all your thoughts & input on my template...they were all very much appreciated. I had some time to mess with this template. I appreciate knowing you all will read, regardless of what my blog looks like (I've just got that magnetic quality, I suppose. Oh wait, or maybe you just like to keep up with your grandchild, nephew, or buddy). And as much as I enjoyed my blue on black, I do not want to be responsible for further causing anyone's eyes to fail. So I came up with a different version of blue on black. I hope this will be easier to read - it looks nice on my computer, and I'm hoping it doesn't look funky on anyone else's computer.

And the next time I post, it will be about my exciting blood-pressure-raising experience getting our PPR to CHI.
15 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I LOVE Comic Sans - but that's just my preference - I like the larger print too - maybe not too big but a little bigger than the first - as long as it's not New Roman - my absolute least favorite - I can read the black okay - it's just after I read it - and I take my eyes away - I still see all these flashes - not good - maybe a charcoal grey - or blue with black print - I know you can't make us all happy! But I'll still read it no matter what! When I did my portion of the website at work I know I really had to play with it and it's not easy!
"Hi, Iliya!" - love Sis

Blogger Jane said...
I love coic sans too, however have found that the more words there are, the more simple the print needs to be.

Large print is good, but bold can be difficult.

As for me...I'm in need of visiting the eye doctor (hit that 40 mark and the eyes are going!) so I'm not the best of critics at this time.

Blogger Rob said...
Oooh, I like the Trebuchet!

I do kinda prefer a white (or light) background with dark grey (a little softer on the eyes than straight black) text, but really, the content is the thing, so I'm flexible.

Blogger Jane and Jim said...
I definitely like the larger print - and my choice would be Verdana or Comic Sans.

It looks great though - very wintery indeed!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm a comic sans fan, as well...which is evident to anyone I e-mail...it is my favorite. Actually, Harrington is a favorite also, yet I only use it for invitations & such as that, b/c it's not as easy to read for everyday purposes. Also, not a Times New Roman fan -- my least fave also. I like the charcoal gray idea -- as you know my opinion a/b the black background. Maybe if I didn't work on a black background screen all day, it would be different...plus it's not the liveliest shade in the spectrum. The larger print does help my aging eyes...but I think that depending on the monitor & one's settings, that makes a difference, too. A co-worker has a larger monitor than I do & I have to make what's on the screen smaller to be able to read it when I'm at her computer -- it's the bifocal thing, I figure. As Sis said, I'll read it regardless, so keep on posting:o) Also...for many of those that comment, I've visited your sites to read your updates on your journey through international adoption & enjoy those as well, even tho' I don't comment. It's wonderful to see God's blessings in so many lives!
hugs...grandmom

Blogger Elle said...
When I code sites I code them in Georgia or Verdana. My own site is Verdana. Technically speaking (from a graphics point of view) Comic Sans was a very badly designed font. It loses it's smoothness at large sizes.

People like it because from a visual standpoint it is easy on the eyes. A sans-serif font can be shrunk to a smaller point and still readable by older eyes. Serif fonts become jumbled.

For instance, the newsletter I do for our church: I use Calisto MT at a 20pt for an article title but Century Gothic at 10-9.5pt for the body of an article. I can shrink the body text all the way down to a 9 and it still is readable by our older members. Slick.

Of course I'm the pickiest person when it comes to fonts.

Blogger Unknown said...
I like the Verdana, too. It's just nice, large and easy to read. I use it a lot! But hey, I'm flexible, so whatever you decide will be fine and dandy!! Love ya bunches!

Blogger ana said...
The dark text on a lighter background is easier to read. I like the blue background and the header a lot.

Good luck with PPR!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Did you ask Iliya which he liked best??? My guess is he prefers a rock-colored back ground with chocolate chip cookie -- okay -- a raisin-colored print :o)

Blogger Great Aunt Cheryl said...
guess I'll put my 2 cents worth in...

I like the font you're using now--but I don't like the white...it really takes away from the blue & black...but like Sis said...you can't please us all...what's most important is that we get updates! :o)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I like the gray background with black print. My vote would go to Verdana and Trebuchet for the font, but will read no matter how you decide to decorate. I can't go long without knowing what that precious child is up to! I love the family photo at the top of the page . . . it says a lot!
Blessings,
Pam Parker

Blogger Kay B said...
I like the lighter background. Maybe a Blue font to match the darker blue on your background? or black is good too. I like the Trebuchet.
PS - I always thought it was Veranda too!! - Funny!

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
I think it looks splendid as is! Can't wait to hear about your exciting experience with the PPR!

Blogger Carey and Norman said...
I liked the text; however, I couldn't see the comments button. I had to search for it and pressed a few other buttons in the process.

Blogger Suzanne said...
I'm late for the vote, but I really like the Georgia.