We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Saturday, December 29, 2007
Jet Lag
After a bit of rest, I am finally feeling (almost) myself again. We played HARD and slept little while we were gone - from Saturday morning until Thursday. I'm proud to report that Iliya had no bowel issues, but he just doesn't sleep very well when we are on the road...so he was a little more cranky than usual. But it didn't seem that anyone else really noticed it...so that was good!

I tell you, though, traveling great distances in a car with a toddler creates something very similar to jet lag (in both the parents AND the toddler!), when you're finally back home. We got home Thursday, right at naptime, and thankfully, Iliya had remained awake on the trip. We came right in, and put him down for a nap. He had been down for 3 1/2 hours -- headed toward 4 when I finally decided to wake him up. And he did not want to wake up! Then, he slept a whopping 13 hours that night...and another 3-hour nap on Friday!

If only we- the parents - had nothing to do, and could get reset with sleep!

Anyway...we did have a good time. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), we spent so much time with Iliya & family that we just didn't get that many pictures or video. I totally surprised myself with the lack of picture-taking - but we make some great memories...and we've got other family members who did get pictures...so hopefully we can bum pictures from them.

I wanted to share some of the pictures and video that I DID take over Christmas, so I ended up just making a video to post. I apologize because the video loses some quality when it is uploaded...

But I hope you enjoy nonetheless!

I present to you...our First Family Christmas!



Okay. So the video didn't seem to embed properly - I don't know what the problem is, but just CLICK HERE to see the video. Sorry!
10 Comments:
Blogger Maggie said...
I'm glad you had a nice Christmas! Having a child for Christmas makes everything new again, doesn't it?

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
Okay... you made me cry - the Priceless part got me. Great video - I hope you get those missing pictures! :-) I wish they had those rocking horses for adults!

Blogger Jane said...
BEAUTIFUL!!!! God is good in providing, in His time!

And...I'm assuming that you got married in the northern part of Alabama?!?
That was our FIRST Christmas married. We had purchased our first home together 6 weeks earlier between Gurley and Huntsville.
The weather outside was frightful a few days before Christmas!
My family struggled to get into town to see us from three different areas of the country.

Makes me smile that I can think back and smile at knowing what I was doing when you got married!

Blogger Nancy said...
What a cute video! The rocking horse and rocking chair look like fun! Glad you had a good time with your family.:)

Blogger Unknown said...
You know, our camera stayed in the car at Mamaw's, too. Phooey. I'm sure that Nana and Papa will have a few to share with both of us!

LOVED the video!

Blogger Joy said...
What a great video. Christmas must have been a blast. You do such a great job on your videos.
Joy

Blogger Denise :o) said...
That's was great. Of course, at the end I had to cry! Very, true... just priceless! ;O)

Ilya is such a cutie! Looks like you all had a great time!

Blogger Parent World said...
To Melissa and Nathan. I don't know you at all, but I came across your blog just before you headed off on your big adventure to become parents. And ever since I've read it just to see how you little boy is going. I just watched your home movie and I am sorry to say I couldn't remember anyone else in it. I just watched Iliya the whole time. You cant help but think of different his life is now and all the new things he has been able to experience. Its so amazing to think that you both and your families have given him something that he should have had from day one. A loving family. I'm not aware of what lead him to that orphanage, but there was a reason for it. Though he didn't know that the family he needed to be with was on the other side of the world waiting for him. It was beautiful to watch his first Christmas, its only sad to think that there are so many more children who haven't been given the love, hope and a family that you have both given to him.
Best wishes to you all. I hope you all have a lovely 2008.

Kellie

Blogger Carey and Norman said...
Okay, I usually leave the tears to Adrienne, but I had tears in my eyes as I finished the video/pictures. How sweet to have your first Christmas together. Great video clip. It looks like your Christmas was perfect and priceless!

You are so good at this type of stuff. You should make a business out of it! I just love how you are with Iilya and how he is. Reminds me so much of myself and Dima. Their mannerisms and ways of communicating are so similiar. Maybe it is just how close in age they are but it seems like something more. Anyway, it is neat and I am glad we met.