We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Sunday, December 09, 2007
State of the Art "Art Organizer"
Are you looking for something in which to store your child's precious artwork from school? Perhaps you want to keep it, but don't have a place to file oversized fingerpaint paper without folding it. This has been one of my dilemmas, since my child began preschool.

If you are in need of an art organizer, have I got the solution for you!

Buy a Pampered Chef bar pan!

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Okay, okay. So I didn't go out and purchase this bar pan for its box. In fact, I've had the pan for a couple years, now, and (Mom, be still your heart) I had saved the box. Never know when you might need a PC bar pan box!

So anyway. Last night, Nathan was doing laundry, Iliya was in bed, and I was trying to find our dining room table. I know that I want to frame some of Iliya's artwork, but right now, just don't have the spare pennies to do it. But I can't stand a cluttered dining room table and that is just where all of Iliya's artwork ends up...along with assorted mail and other things that could probably be deemed as junk. For the past several weeks, there has been just enough room at the very end of the table for the 3 of us to sit and eat dinner. And that just gets to me for some reason. So last night's task was to get the table mostly devoid of stuff.

After secretly wishing I had asked for a handy dandy art organizer (among other things, like closet organizers) for Christmas, I walked out into the laundry room to tell Nathan something totally unrelated. I happened to glance above his head to a shelf where the above mentioned box sat. At that moment, a lightbulb went off in my head, and I said, "Is that my mom's Pampered Chef stuff?" (you see, a while ago, she had placed an order to support a catalogue party, and since the hostess & I live in the same city, the PC stuff came to me and my job was to get it to my mom. The problem is that sometimes stuff takes a while to be transferred. So I couldn't remember if that box represented something I had mistakenly left behind every time we went up 'north' to see family. Yet again, I digress... anyway...)

After scrambling on top of the dryer and retrieving empty boxes (whew!), I could've smacked myself for keeping empty. boxes. for. so. long. ... but then again, I was ecstatic that I may've found my art organizer!

So you've seen the pictures. I won't go into how well everything - even the oversized finger paintings - fit! Sometimes it pays to be a(n almost) packrat! :)
6 Comments:
Blogger Maggie said...
I don't have a toddler, but storage solutions have become a major necessity around my house, too. I've employed several boxes in different uses. Baskets are my new favorite decorating item, too.

Blogger Jane said...
ya just never know when that box will come in handy!!!

Blogger JennStar said...
Very earth friendly; you're teaching Iliya how to "Reuse!"
On a side note- have you thought about those illusion frames- crap, I can't remember what they're called-- the ones that are 2 pieces of glass and a framed adge- so you put the photo of artwork in between the 2 pieces of glass and slip it into the frame, so if there's an edge of bare glass, then you can see the wall that it's hanging on through the glass. You could get a few of those and circulate some of his art work every so often. . . .just an idea I thought of when I was reading about your desire to frame some of his work.(sorry for that rant! That turned out to be quite long- LOL)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
...and you can cover the PC box with some fabric (and you know I have some of that -- actually, I probably have a little of everything -- organization is the key, tho') & letter it with Iliya's name (either with stickers, or pen it) and have a decorative piece to store it in, unlike the large Magna Doodle box that I have had y'all's larger art work stored in all these years. It's funny that when I un-closeted the holiday decorations this year, I found that I've stored them in boxes from our early year's of marriage and it brings back good memories of gifts & other things. I will have to admit, the news of your discovery made me smile :o)
love you much, mom

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I am speechles...you saved a box forever and are able to use it. That is nutty. And I am jealous!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
p.s. -- Melissa's grandmother (Mamaw) saved a lining (shiny red material) she made for a coat for my oldest sister that didn't work right (at that time is was about 30 years old). When Melissa's brother Christopher was in a play in the 6th grade, he needed a prince costume for a play & she remembered she had kept that lining all those years. Turned inside-out & with a few embellishments, it became a prince's coat & very little time & money went into it. So, the talent of saving what most would toss out, must have been passed down through the generations:o) Yes, some of us go a little overboard, yet recycling takes on many forms & sure comes in handy at times.
~ Melissa's mom