We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Sunday, November 25, 2007
The Festivities
We are finally home. Our Christmas tree is decorated. We are tired.

But Happy Birthday to my boy!

If you ask him how old he is, he replies (enthusiastically), "dtooooooooooooooooo!" He loves having Happy Birthday sung to him...in fact, he asked for it "again" after we sang it the first time (on Saturday). So he got 2 back-to-back singings for his #2 birthday. Not too bad!

We had a fantastic time, seeing both sets of family -- really, it couldn't have been much better, if you ask me. Iliya saw (what seemed like) about 150 different - some new - people this weekend, and he handled it all like a champ! He was a little stressed in "new" environments (like when we went to a new house with a bunch of people he didn't know well), but given a little bit of time and close proximity to both of us, he would settle right in and have a great time. Everyone was SO good about reading him - if he said "no" or "bye-bye"(meaning I'm stressed & I need you to move away for a minute) or "mama" - then they took him seriously.

You have no idea how much it means to me when people take my child seriously and respect him - children are so often forced into doing stuff that they don't want to do or don't feel comfortable doing (don't get me wrong, I do think there are times when children should step out of their comfort zones, but not as often as they are many times required) and I so appreciated that Iliya was not "forced" at all this past week. He was allowed as much time as he needed to get to know people, and I think the reward came in that - once he was comfortable, there was no stopping his fun & friendliness!

And that's about all I have the energy to post about right now! I'm waaaay too exhausted to do a good job telling about our adventures - oh, and my camera card has only seen the reader for about 2 minutes. So I haven't had the opportunity to properly select pictures to share with you. But I will...don't you worry. I will get to it. In the meantime, here are a couple pictures of the birthday boy at his 2nd birthday party.

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday...we all have so much to be thankful for!
11 Comments:
Blogger Robin said...
Happy Birthday Iliya!!! Sounds like his birthday was a great one! Here's to many more birthdays!!!!!

Blogger Troy and Rachel said...
Happy Birthday to your boy!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time and have a wonderful family!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
He is so freaking cute!!! I could just squeeze him and never let go!!!!! Shana

Blogger Elle said...
Happy birthday little I!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
H A P P Y
B I R T H D A Y
I L I Y A ! !

May the Lord continue to bless you all!
Pam Parker

Blogger Carey and Norman said...
Happy Birthday Iliya! Very cute on wanting Happy Birthday sung twice for his second birthday.

Glad Iliya did so well meeting your entire family and that everyone gave him time to get acquainted with everyone without upsetting him.

He is so adorable and looks so grown up in these pictures.

Blogger Deb said...
Happy Birthday!!
That's wonderful that your family all respected his timing on things. You've got a great family.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Happy Birthday little man! I'm so glad to hear that everyone gave him space and respected his space. That means so much. Did he get messy with a cake? Can't wait for the photos!

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
Happy Birthday Little Iliya! :-) Can't wait to see pictures! :-)

2 rounds of happy birthday huh? You better not light the candles until after the singing when he turns five or birthdays thereafter! I so agree about forcing vs. being patient, reading signals, and establishing trust. i am getting daily lessons in this right now. It can be so confusing because his little temper can flare pretty darn bad and I am having such a hard time being Ok with not responding parentally. I feel like it is too soon for anything but gentleness and long suffering. I hope this is the right approach.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Little Man is so cute!!! He made me feel so special, when he would come find me out of the crowd...grab my finger with his little hand...and lead me to wherever he wanted to go! I just love him soooo much! He is such a sweetey!!! And those eyes! He says it all, through his eyes!!!

Happy Birthday Little Man!

Congratulations Nate & Melissa! You are WONDERFUl parents and doing a GREAT job raising Iliya!!!

Love,
Andrea