We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Monday, November 19, 2007
To My Precious Child
How quickly time passes!

Four months ago, at this very moment, your father and I walked into the court room in Vladiovostok, Russia...knowing our lives were about to be changed forever. An hour & a half later - at about 4:45 p.m. (we forgot to look at our watches for the exact time), we heard the words that we had been waiting so long to hear. We were found fit by the Russian court to be your parents! We would not officially become a family for another 10 days, but in our hearts, we were already a family.

In four months' time, you have woven yourself right into the fabric of our life...in fact, it seems like you've pretty much been around forever. They will never completely disappear, but the memories of what life was like before you came into our life are fading.

As we approach your 2nd birthday, I am often overcome with sadness that we did not know you on the day that you were born, and that we seem to have missed so much -- but at the same time, I am ever thankful that we have come to know you. We may have missed your first tooth or your first smile, but we will cherish the tooth you are cutting right now - the "first" since you have been ours completely, and your first smile the day after we brought you back to the hotel.

Many prayers have been answered, and many things happened just right - on our journey to you. God has such a perfect plan for our lives, and as I stop to contemplate all of the things that happened perfectly (though how imperfect they may have seemed at the time) to bring us to you, I am overcome with awe. We try to imagine life with any other child and the images do not come. You are the perfect fit for us, and I pray we will be - if not perfect, then - good, fair, loving parents to you.

Again, I say - where has the time gone? In a month, we begin your first postplacement report - and I can still remember the pain of waiting for you to come home. My feelings are often a bit surreal and they are difficult to put into words.

But please know, I've loved you since before I knew who you were...and I will love you forever. Happy "Four Months" - and an early Happy Birthday to you, my precious child.
14 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Beautiful, beautiful! I totally agree with you -- we feel the same way about our little man. A situation that seemed so sad at one time led us into adoption and straight into the arms of the child that was meant to be our son. I love your blog - it's so fun to see your little I grow and change!

Blogger Unknown said...
wow. Words fail.

Blogger Jane said...
Four months already!?! Your ability to write your feelings is just beautiful. Isn't it just amazing how God works...never the way we wanted or planned, but still amazingly beautiful!

Blogger Christen L said...
What beautiful thoughts. That gave me goose bumps, literally.

Congrats and early happy Bday!

I could read this entry over and over again. It's so perfect! You definitely have the gift of writing and of expressing yourself. Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

We are still waiting for our court date....it's been almost 4 months since our first trip. Your post reminds me of God's perfect timing and gives me every reason to be patient.

God's Blessings this Thanksgiving!

What a sweet post! It is very encouraging as we look towards the future!

Blogger Sira said...
Wow- that really says it. I too am finding it hard to remember life before Max. I kept a journal during those really hard days of waiting for him. I read those pages and am overwhelmed by emotion that my son is here and safe with me. I hope to one day give him that journal so he knows how much I loved him from the beginning

Blogger Nancy said...
Congratulations on 4 months with your son! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Blogger Carey and Norman said...
This is a wonderfully written post and makes us all just smile as we think of your time together since your adoption was final. It is hard to imagine that four months have passed so quickly.

What a blessing!

Blogger ana said...
What a lovely post. Hope you have a wonderful first Thanksgiving with your adorable son!

Blogger Deb said...
Happy 4 months! Beautiful post.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hurry up and make a post from Thanksgiving! I'm ready to see the pictures of that cute kiddo!!!! Love you! Sal

Blogger junglemama said...
What a beautiful post. You are your son's wonderful mama.....and I am sure he feels that with all of his heart. :)

Our love for our kids always brings out the deepest, truest emotions in us, huh? I could really relate to so much of what you wrote. God bless you guys as you raise Iilya with all the love in your hearts and all the wisdom God so freely gives. Good to 'hear' from you via your comment.