We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Grow, Baby, Grow!
Remember this post and this one? (If you don't have time to go back & read, they from October & are about Iliya waking up in the middle of the night and not going back to sleep for a few hours)

And then fast forward to November, to this one about a growth spurt.

I think we may be repeating history here, and I am one tired mama...with only 3 hours of sleep to show for the night. Not only did Iliya wake up at 1:3o & not return to sleep till around 5:00...but he also has only pooped 1 time in the past 24 hours. This means he is about 6 poops shy of his quota. He has also been shoveling in the food like it may go away.

There is something going on here...these sorts of things mostly happen when he is under stress (like traveling) or about to grow. Since we're a week shy of traveling...I figure he might be about to grow.

And then there's the issue of a cognitive burst.

Didn't I just mention that I can't keep up with his vocabulary? And also he went from loving the bath to being terrified of it for a few days? Often, when there are gains in one area of development, there may be regression somewhere else. Perhaps that's what we've experienced this past week.

Iliya already has almost all the teeth he has asked for for Christmas...so I wonder if, now, he is asking for a couple of inches added to his height.

Whew, I hope Santa has a few pair of clothes in his sack for the little boy!
6 Comments:
Blogger Nathan said...
One tired Daddy says that your post is spoken like a true Child Development professional...you really know the lingo. Sounds like someone might be ready to finish up that Masters :)

Blogger Carey and Norman said...
Can't say that I would recommend prunes at this point :o) I know how hard working can be on only a few hours sleep. We are switching our son from a crib to a twin bed, so we are going through something similar.

Best wishes,

Carey

Blogger Carey and Norman said...
Just wanted to let you know that I just saw the Elf video. Iliya is too cute! I love the baby belly and the Elvis moves! He is a hoot!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I second Nathan. I love the Barry Brazelton reference.

Well, one way or the other, with all the traveling you will do over the next 2 weeks, I hope that he will rest well these next few nights of "routine life". :)

Love you,
Sal

Blogger Jane said...
they eat, they sleep, they grow... it is a beautiful cycle. One that you ARE blessed to experience first hand.

I really can't imagine how you do it without sleep. I'll be praying for you and your rest!

my armchair physician thought is give him a prune or two....and give him a snack when he wakes up for his night-time feeding. Or a good snack just before bedtime.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I think the reason that everyone is anxious for new posts is that in our minds, he still hasn't pooped. And four days of no pooping would hurt.