In writing my
previous post, I told you a little bit about the history of how Iliya came to continue being called Iliya. One thing I wanted to make clear is that changing/keeping names is a purely personal thing. I don't think there is a right or wrong choice, especially for much younger children (and possibly even older children, though that is totally out of my area of "expertise"). But keeping his first name was just something we chose to do. As you read, keep in mind that these posts are merely about our choices (and my reflections on those choices), and aren't meant to minimize the choices others make or have made.
As trip one progressed, we felt like we had made the right choice in deciding to keep Iliya's name. In part, because we found that he knew his name and responded to it. Well...he responded to the
diminutive form of his name (which is the "child's form" of the name - similar to a William being called Billy). His caregivers called him all sorts of things - Ilyushka, Ilyusha, Ilyushenka, Lyush, Lyusha. All of the above, and he completely responded appropriately to them when they called his name or talked to him. So if we had had any doubts about keeping his name, witnessing his reactions to the caregivers sealed the deal for us.
After court, when we brought Iliya to the hotel with us, we actually spent a few days helping him associate his given name with the diminutive form of his name. I don't know that this was absolutely necessary, but we didn't want to form the habit of having to call him by the diminutive ALL the time. So he now responds to his given name, pretty much all "forms" of the diminutive, and some newer "pet names" we have for him. He calls himself Iliya (Li-La).
We really have no regrets about keeping Iliya’s name. Our friends and family are great with his name - my frustrations often lie with complete strangers. When I began my original post, yesterday, I came to vent...but really, I realize that there is no controlling the reactions of strangers - so this has turned into a more observational thing (with a few feelings/thoughts thrown in).
I've mentioned that Iliya is a pretty social guy. He's friendly, and people usually enjoy trying to engage/interact with a friendly child. I typically don't mind...but I have to hold my breath when the occasional person asks, "what is your name?" Iliya responds with his usual "Li-La" and the person, thinking the child is speaking jibberish, looks to mom for clarification. This is when I say, "Iliya." And sometimes I get, "hmmm. that's nice..." but more often there's often a strange contortion of the face, followed by a "what?" And this is where I feel compelled to explain, we adopted him from Russia, yada yada yada.
But in my quest to just "fit in" as a regular ole mom of a 2-year old, I've found a pretty pat answer that - as of yet - has not produced followup questions (or maybe the answer just hasn't been given to the right person, to incite questions). If, after I have said his name once, I get the "what?" reaction, my answer is, "His name is Iliya, which is a Russian name." I don't know if it's my answer, or the word "Russian" - but most people say, "oh..." and go back to interacting with him, or they go on their way.
The other interesting issue we've run into is actually speaking with people who don't know us and have not yet met Iliya in person.
I can’t tell you the number of times that I’ve been on the phone with the doctor’s office, and they ask when “her” birthday is. Or how to pronounce or spell “her” name. Or when they’re expecting to see a girl when they walk in the room, and do a huge double take when their expectation turns out to be false.
Supposing that Iliya is a girl – without seeing him – is fairly natural, I suppose…given the fact that a lot of people think that the name "Iliya" is somehow akin to “Aliyah.” But I feel bad because I will inevitably embarrass someone, when I have to say, “he’s a boy, and you pronounce it…” They don’t mean to make the wrong supposition – so I try to be very understanding. But there are only so many ways to say “ummm…it’s a boy name! Not a girl!”
People go out of their way not to give pronunciation a shot – they'll look at his chart or some form (I'm speaking about the medical community, mostly because our most recent experiences have involved doctors' offices, insurance company, etc) and say something like, "well helloooooo....?(
raised eyebrows, looking at mom or dad)" Sometimes, they'll give it a shot, but Nathan & I are usually pretty quick to jump to their rescue. I’ve been thanked, more than once, for being understanding about a mispronunciation.
On a sidenote -- Perhaps the funniest thing was yesterday, at the doctor’s office, the doctor came in and said, “Hi there! I’m Dr. X, and this must be…(raised eyebrows)….” Nathan and I both said, “Iliya.” The doctor got a funny look on his face and scrutinized the chart and said, “Hmmm…I wouldn't have guessed that. I think it was the “a” that was throwing me off.”
The “a”?? And here I am thinking it was that middle "i" that threw people off! :)
Anyway, I'm really not stuffy about people's reactions (I may come across as such here, but I'm not). I just secretly sometimes get weary of feeling like I should explain (when - in fact - I really do not)
why my child has a different name
(ahhhh, you say,
the underlying issue...)
. The fact of the matter is, there are lots of kids running around with way-less-than-ordinary names, and their parents (as far as I can tell) do not feel compelled to tell the whole story of how they came to be named their less-than-ordinary name.
I had originally written out a sort of self-analysis on my compulsion to explain about Iliya's name by way of explaining his adoption, when I receive a strange reaction to his name......but it actually ended up making me sound like some kind of nutcase. And I most
probably definitely do not want my readership to develop ideas of my inner craziness. :)
The basic premise of my analysis is that am a pretty simple gal who knows that strangers make natural assumptions about our family situation - things like sharing genes (we don't really
look different, so it's easy to suppose that we all share genes). They assume that - upon first meeting - our child probably has a name like William or John...but when they get "Iliya" (something totally unexpected) they stare agog, and I feel compelled to explain away the gaps between their expectations and reality.
So I think what we are getting here is my desire to be "what you see is what you get," which brings on the strange need to set people straight on their assumptions...when I don't really want or need to set people straight, because, doggone it, I'm just Iliya's mom & that's it!
See? Crazy, I told you.
Fortunately my "standard answer" (as mentioned above) seems to help my compulsion. It is the sort of answer that serves a dual purpose, in a way. It helps me give "explanation" without giving people more info than they want (or I want to give)...and allows people to draw whatever conclusions they feel like drawing. I almost always say it with an open smile on my face...I do not mind questions, if a person seems genuinely interested in the whole "Russian" portion of my answer (who knows, I could be speaking to a future adoptive parent!?), but more often than not, it's explanation-enough, and it's all I have to say.
But I digress...
*****************************************
"So," you ask, "if you could go back, would you change anything about your decision regarding your child's name?"
I would answer, absolutely not. Knowing what I know now...I
might make the decision to spell it differently - but honestly, when I think about it, it still doesn't feel quite right to spell his name any differently than we do (thank you, Maggie, for your comment on our spelling). His name is beautiful. It is a unique name for a unique little boy with a unique history! And if people mispronounce, it's really okay...we're already getting better and more patient about mispronunciations. And if people think he's got a girl name...well, there's really nothing we can do about that. And for those of you who may be worried about misspelling when you type...seriously, I am least worried about that, for some reason.
I hope and pray that we are raising a child who is confident, who loves his name and his heritage, and who can smile (or even laugh to himself) when people make mistakes with his name. And I hope all of these qualities can be useful when tackling or dealing with even bigger things than a name.
And...someday... I hope he will come to appreciate the actual meaning of his name, and its significance in bringing our lives together.
love
sis
Of course we only use the diminutive form when he's in trouble. "ah-ley-zhek" Poor kid's gonna grow up thinking his name is longer than it really is.
I am so thankful that you have this wonderful blessing named Iliya Franklin (I love that middle name and its story), and that I get to share a little bit of him through your blog. He is so precious! Praise the Lord!
Blessings,
Pam Parker
Blessings,
Pam Parker
P. S. Go Air Force!
It's a name I always loved since seeing (and adoring) David McCallum in the Man from UNCLE! :)
There will always be those who question why our children's names are different or unusual. I think you are right to come up with a calm, non-judgemental answer. After all your Iliya will learn his own future responses from seeing how you react and feel.
My daughter has 3 names: the one I gave her, the one her birth mom gave her and the one the nuns who raised her for the first 9 months of her life gave her. They are all who she is. Sure, it's a big name for a little girl :) but each of her names truly records a part of her life. I would feel I was erasing part of her life if I left off one of her names!
(Sorry, long comment, but you touched a chord).
Best wishes to your family
Lindsay
ANYWAY... I know exactly what you go through w/ talking to strangers... so I thought I'd chime in here to let you know you're not alone. My 6 year old has been diagnosed w/ mild Autism - his speech/language is at a 2 1/2 year old level. He's got lots of things that make him "DIFFERENT". And I ALWAYS go through the struggle when talking to strangers, of whether I should "go there" & if I do, "how far should I go?" I get annoyed w/ myself that I always THINK there has to be an explanation. So I'm just choosy... people ask "how old is he?" & I have a vast number of answers:
"6"; "6 - but he has a speech delay"; "6 - but he is somewhere on the autism spectrum"; "6 - but he's got a mild form of autism...and have you ever heard of 'sensory integration dysfunction'?"; "6 - but don't worry, we're doing speech & OT!!!" the list could go on & on.
Your story behind his name and me & my playground stories, are just reminders that everyone is unique with his or her own stories to tell [or NOT tell]. I think your reasons behind keeping his name are wonderful ... now if only you could hand out a business card w/ the "name explanation" on it, to everyone who wants to know! ;) ha
Anyway, I've enjoyed reading your journey... and can't wait 'til my sister has her son home next month! - Rachel
Love, Dad
aka-Papa
I second the congrats on Nathan getting his butter bars!! :)
Oh, and everytime someone asks her what's her name...they think she says "Alice"! So, people are still going to be confused and perplexed about "different" names...no matter how common or not so common the name might be!
I love Alex's name...and I love Iliya's name! As long as your happy...who care's what anybody else thinks!
Love,
Andrea
...my name is why we named her AlexANDREA (0:
Christine AKA Mommie2my3girls
I changed both of my kids' names when I brought them home from Russia, but it was such a HARD decision. My son (5)really made it easy because he wanted what he has learned to call an "English" name. He asked his caretaker at the orphanage what his name would be. So, I did not disappoint him.
He remembers his Russian name, and he'll point to pictures from the orphanage and call himself by his Russian name saying that was me then, but now I am (new name). It was a right of passage for him.
My daughter who was barely three when I met her had a rather normal "American-like" name, but I felt I needed to change her name as well so that they both would have the same experience. I gave her my sister's middle name and wouldn't you know those two are so close and ds is so proud that their middle names are the same.
I love how you lay it all out there. The whole name thing really is a TOUGH decision, and there truly is no right answer. However, I think you did exactly what the Lord led you to do!
Iliya is a great name for a great little boy!
Never would I have suspected that "Liam" would be tricky for others to pronounce... (For the record, it sounds like "Lee-um.")