We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Friday, August 03, 2007
Moscow...the first day
Because I know so many people check the blog first thing in the morning, I am going to start posting (when I can) during naptime. Because of this, you won’t get a “whole day” post (because of the time change), but at least you’ll get the first part of the day – and then I’ll update as I can.
--------------------------------------------

First, let me clarify b/c of questions. "PI" means "post insitutionalized." Sorry I kept forgetting to tell you what that meant.

Now...let me say thank you to the comments on eating. Mom, if you want to bring ‘ro-ro’s (cheerios) to me, that would be fine…I’m sure Little I would greatly appreciate it. He loves the Gerber fruit puff snacks, but sometimes I’m afraid they are too sweet to eat right before a meal (you know, sorta like dessert before dinner?). Maybe I think too much. Too focused on doing the "right" or "perfect" thing. Yep, pretty sure that's it! I bet my kid is probably thinking I should lighten up!

Anyway, thanks to Capt. Smartypants on the idea of distraction. While Nathan fixed I's lunch, today, I was able to (partially) distract Little I so a meltdown did not ensue. We’ll see if it will work, for N to distract the child while I am the one making a meal…if I am doing nothing constructive, usually Little I is okay with Nathan (only) distracting or playing with him. But the minute I get up to do something worthwhile, I have an attachment to my leg. But, in the end, it will all be okay – we’ll keep trudging along, and if before/after mealtime is our biggest frustration/worry, then I think we’re doing mighty fine!

I don’t know if it’s coming across in this post, but I’m feeling a lot better & much more confident that everything will be just fine.

-------------------------------------

Okay, okay, I’ll hush now. Really…I’ve been whining about whining for so long, you’re sick of it, right? I know I am! Admit it, you really just wanna see pictures. Well, I’ve got quite a few to share with you today.

First, the flight. (as usual, click to make bigger)

on the airplane
Playing with the pocket, after unloading it of all the duty free books & emergency instructions

on the airplane
Look, mom, a barfbag! (this bag provided an hour of entertainment – first, it was a puppet, then something to put other stuff into, then something to just crinkle up. At one point, Nathan thought he was going to need it – and as if on cue, Little I presented it to him!)

on the airplane
Ready for takeoff…juice is always a hit!

on the airplane
After takeoff, Little I fell almost right asleep

on the airplane
Aeroflot may not have provided us with any food for the little man, but they made sure he had a comfy bassinet to sleep in! My arms were very appreciative of this bassinet!

on the airplane
Playing with the sleeping mask. I showed him how to put it on, and then he put it on, took it off, on, off…he mostly wore it like a hat, but I didn’t get a good picture of that.


After we got to the hotel:

at the hotel, first night
My tired boy

at the hotel, first night
Trying to stay awake

at the hotel, first night
Catching food on the belly

at the hotel, first night
Eating food off of the belly

Last night, we were all running on adrenaline. I felt bad for Little I, because in his short life, he has lived by an extremely strict schedule. When we were in Vlad, the most we messed with his schedule was to eliminate his morning nap and perhaps get him in bed a few minutes after bedtime. But this plane ride totally turned his schedule inside out. Fortunately, he seemed to take it in stride - and he just kept on "keepin' on" till bedtime. He had a small meltdown when he didn't want the pasta I ordered for him, and decided he wanted my broccoli soup instead. But I guess hunger won out and he ended up eating, taking a bath and getting in the bed - in record time.

I think it took Little I a record time of around 15 seconds to fall asleep…and just about the same for both of us. I guess we were in bed by 9:30…and about 5:30 this morning, Nathan & I were both awake. About 30 minutes later, there was a little cry from the pack & play in our room…and it was time to start the day. We went down to the restaurant to get some breakfast (we are staying on the adoption rate, and get complimentary breakfast every morning). And oh my, what a delicious breakfast it was. It was a buffet – a HUGE buffet, full of a wide array of cold and hot breakfast foods. We took Little I around, to get him some food, first. He was quite anxious to eat, but being as patient as his little self could be while I fixed him a little bit of cottage cheese, a banana, a small peach half, a piece of toast & a tiny bit of kasha (like oatmeal). That sounds like a lot, but it really wasn’t … we got small portions of everything. Considering the fact that Little I’s food intake had been weird yesterday b/c of our schedule, I figured he was pretty hungry this morning.

Nathan fed the child while I ran to the buffet (the only way he lets me out of his sight for a second is if there is food involved. I am #2 to the food, but it’s okay). I ate rather quickly, and then we swapped places – Nathan ran to the buffet while I continued to feed the child.

at breakfast
Eating like a champ!

We had a rather uneventful parting from the breakfast table. Little I was not quite ready to finish eating, but his belly was full (I could feel it) and he allowed us to carry him from the table without screaming. On the way out, we asked the lady at the door about the complimentary fruit we had read about as a part of our adoption rate…she told us we could take food - from the morning buffet - to our room with us, so we grabbed up a banana, a pear, and 2 things of yogurt for snacks later on. I felt very weird, doing this, but since she said it was okay, then…well, I guess it was okay.

So after breakfast, we came back up to the room for a little while to hang out and play. We had wanted to go out and explore a little bit (mainly to find a supermarket so we could get a big jug of water) but it was raining.

It’s possible that the most fun thing Little I does is copy me. I call him my little monkey, because he loves to play “Monkey See, Monkey Do.” And he’s good at it! I touch the top of my head, he touches his. I clap my hands, he claps his. I clap twice, he’ll clap twice. I touch my knees, he touches his. I “clap” my knuckles together, he does the same. It only gets really confusing for him when I start doing more intricate things with my fingers, but in all, he really is good at this game. Again, I know I’m pretty biased, but I think I’ve got a smart one on my hands. A smart one that loves to interact. He also has a particular interest in his “touch & feel” baby animals book. He likes to tell me what the bunny says…and he likes for me to tell him what the cow says.

Miraculously, the rain lifted, and we put the carrier on, stuck the little one in it and headed out.

the hotel
The Hotel

We really did no more than wander around for almost 2 hours – got some good exercise & experience crossing the streets (not for the faint of heart, I tell you!). We saw a little playground and stopped for a few minutes – it was too wet to play for long, but Little I really wanted to hang out, so we did (for just a few minutes). There was a lady, sitting on a park bench in playground area staring at us, while having a conversation with herself so we didn’t stay for really long. Little I was really fascinated with the birds. We also saw a few dogs, and he thought they were really cool.

fascination with birds

the playground

on the playground

on the playground

He got the "hicca-burps" at one point - this child doesn't just hiccup. Each hiccup is followed by a small burp (I have been known to get bad cases of these). He has learned - from his father - that burping is funny. Do you have any idea what I am in for? I am completely outnumbered by males right now. But oh, so happy! (and I have to admit, his little burps are pretty funny)

There’s lots of construction going on in this area. We went to a church, but there was construction going on there, too. We thought we’d try the door (we couldn’t read anything that said it was closed) but it was locked. So maybe we’ll try again another day.
church

Not far from here, there is a Mexican restaurant…if we get brave, we thought it might be fun to try Russian Mexican food this evening for dinner. If we do it, we’ll let you know how it goes!



iliya
Riding in the carrier with dad…mom carried him halfway, then switched. The child is so heavy, it kills both the mom & dad’s shoulders – but we would’ve never made it 2 hours without the carrier

iliya
Getting tired of being in this thing…though it sure beats walking!!


As I mentioned before, we had set out in search of a supermarket this morning. We found lots of pharmacies…lots of cafes…even a nightclub (we think). We walked around for an hour and a half. When we got back to the hotel, we happened to look down the road & across the street, and what was did we see? A minimart. We missed it at first, because we misunderstood the sign. We know what the words “supermarket,” market,” and “pharmacy” look like in Cyrillic, and I had dismissed this one earlier because it said it was a pharmacy. Every pharmacy I’ve ever been in (well, in Vlad, at least) had only pharmacy type stuff…medicine, diapers, feminine hygiene products…but no food. Nathan happened to notice giant pictures of food & beverages on the side of this building, so we decided to go for it. And we were rewarded for our effort! We got a huge jug of water, a little yogurt & some noodle meals for Little I.

In most stores in Russia (in our very limited experience), you have to check your bags at the front. Most of the stores have lockers with keys – you lock your bag (big ones, not smaller purses) up while you shop. I guess it cuts down on shoplifting. Random piece of information, there, for you.

And the last thing of note is that there is a 2-story McDonald’s right next to the hotel. Now, I’ve never eaten at a foreign McD’s (well, except for a McMuffin in the Seoul airport) but I’ve heard that they are vastly different from the ones in the U.S. After the little one ate lunch and was down for a nap, Nathan ran over to grab the two of us some lunch. He said it was a neat experience – no one spoke English, so he ordered from an English/picture menu. He brought it back to the hotel, and maybe I’m crazy, but I couldn’t tell much of a difference between U.S. & Russian McDonald’s food. It was good. Oh, about it being a 2-story McDonald’s. I made a comment about that to our driver, yesterday, and he mentioned that there are some McD’s in Moscow that are 3 or 4 stories high. Can you imagine?!
McDonald’s


Well, I think that about covers us for this part of the day. Our Moscow person (facilitator?) took our paperwork to the Embassy today. We may do a tour tomorrow…we’re going to try to go to church on Sunday (I’ve contacted someone that my friend Lisa put me in contact with, to get us there – haven’t heard back from him, but hopefully we will)…and then Monday will be our trip to the Embassy.

We are trying to view this time in Moscow as a sort of first family vacation. So far, it’s been fun. The hotel room is small, but it’s not too bad to get out. I just hope that the weather will hold out for a trip to the Red Square.

Hope you all have a wonderful day…I’m ending with a few more pictures. Enjoy!

in the hotel
No, my child doesn’t take a pacifier. This is one of his newest toys, compliments of Aeroflot


in the hotel
Hiding. There is definitely a fascination with cabinets & drawers with my child. If he could fit inside a drawer, he would. As it stands, cabinets are the only thing he fits into. I sure hope he can’t figure out our child proofing things when we get home!!

in the hotel
Playing hard with daddy…is this what my grandmother (Mamaw) calls horseplay?

P.S., I think my brother Johnathan has some competition as the World's Hardest Person to Wake Up. We are trying to wake up Little I, and he will have nothing of it. When he is tired, he is tired.
12 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Wow, sounds like yall are having a great time!! The pic's are really cute! Yall just look like any normal family on vacation. We can't wait until Tuesday! See you then.
Love, Nana & Papa

P.S. Plus Mamaw Bridges too!! And no telling how many cousins, aunts & uncles!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Melissa,
I have been keeping up with you and praying daily for your family. I just wanted to tell you something that I just heard the other day from another adoptive mom from Russia. She had adopted several children at different times and would get a street artist to draw her little one's picture for them each time while in Moscow. Something special to have for him. I thought it was a neat idea. She said that she also used a digital photo and let him draw it from there so her child did not have to sit so long. I can't wait until you get back. I can remember eating a McDonalds in Moscow...I have never been so happy to see the Golden Arches! Talk to you when you get home and praying for you every step of the way.

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
You do look like a family on vacation!! I really hope you are able to make it to Red Square to the "the photo" of Little I. It's such a good sign that he's attached to your leg - you're doing good Mama! :-) How is he doing with Nathan? It seems like they are attaching pretty well from the pictures! Praying for good weather the rest of your trip.

Blogger MandyJo013078 said...
Sounds like you are having a great family vacation! Plenty of time together exploring and getting to know each other! That is wonderful! Thanks for all the info Melissa :) !!
Have a great day! MandyJo

Blogger Unknown said...
Love the pictures, as usual! Natalie really gets a kick out of seeing him play with the toy hammer that she gave him!! Makes her feel special.

Can't wait to see you guys! Love, Kristy

Blogger Elle said...
Some tips. There are underpasses at most of the streets in Moscow. Don't cross over the street, but rather use the underpasses. It will save your life.

And Derek (Cpt. Smartypants) is correct. He would have to distract Oleg while I cooked dinner behind a closed door. Often times I still had a screaming child on the other side of the door. Good news is that he mostly did not do that once we got home and figured out there was food all the time. However, when he gets hungry he will pitch a fit if I'm not quick enough.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Speaking of hiding places & Johnathan....it is imperative that J doesn't show Iliya how to hide in the dryer or the trunk of a car -- you know J is such a sweetheart, yet has supplied some challenging moments along the way :o)

Also, Mamaw was just saying night before last that she's been a mom for almost 59 years & still wonders if she's doing things right :o) and I seconded her on that one for my 28+ years as a mom!

It was great to talk to you yesterday & hear Iliya's sweet laugh...we're so excited about Tuesday's homecoming!

much love,
mom & dad

Blogger Deb said...
Personally I love all your details. But I'm a PAP. Love the pictures but I'm guessing not as much as the family waiting to squeeze him.

I can't believe there's Mexican food there. I'm so happy!
Just don't order chicken or fish at McDonald's. The hamburgers are the same. Of course in the Philippines they serve spaghetti and fried chicken at McDonald's so that's a bit odd.

So glad you're able to use this time as a family vacation.

Blogger Carey and Norman said...
Enjoyed catching up on your blog. It won't be long until you return to the States. I'm sure you are ready for some American food. I'm glad you are getting into a routine and little I is doing so well. I look forward each day to reading what's happened next.

Iliya is Precious!! Thanks for sharing all the pictures.

Best wishes-

Blogger Troy and Rachel said...
Thank goodness for the McDonalds - that's where we'll be headed!! It looks like everything is going great and I love all the details and updates. The pictures are wonderful!!

Sounds like Iliya will do great with baby signs if he isn't picking up words yet and is frustrated. Owen has learned to use "more," "all done," "open," and "my turn" this week, and his frustration level is so much lower. Just a thought, and you may already be doing it!

You are doing a FABULOUS job!! I can't wait for you to be home...you'll be here before you know it. I hope you get to go to Red Square...we didn't get to with Owen, but since you've had Iliya for so long and he's attaching well, I bet you'll have a nice time!

You must be at the same Holiday Inn we stayed in. We frequented the McDonald's and longed to try the Mexican food too! I'm anxious to see if you do what it's like!

:) Adrienne

Anonymous Anonymous said...
What does the bunny say?
---Lisa
p.s. Is anyone taking bets on how long it takes him to figure out the childproofing?