

Who would ever imagine that such an angelic face could be the source of such joy...yet such stress for his parents? Those of you with children are probably chuckling at such a question. But suffice it to say that we had a rough afternoon. I am having issues knowing whether I am handling tantrums, etc. in the most appropriate way...these issues are exacerbated by the fact that my hormones are trying to level back out. The combination of the two (issues + hormones) caused me to have a major "I'm not a good mom" meltdown tonight. I am so thankful that I have such a supportive husband, though, because he takes things in stride & helps me to see that I cannot expect to be perfect in my 11th day as a mom. I get so afraid of screwing up my child, because I'm not sure if I handle any of his (this is not a technical term) PI-ness in the best way. I just want to do a good job. And like Nathan said, I've been doing this for less than 2 weeks; I can't expect to be perfect this soon (or ever!). I'll tell you more later, when I'm feeling a little less tired. Right now, I'm exhausted, so I'm gonna give you a quick "rest of the post."
----------------------------------------------
Today, Nathan went - with our facilitator - to the office of Vital Statistics & the passport office. We now are the proud possessors of Little I’s birth certificate and adoption certificate. The picture for his passport was taken a few days ago (and a very cute picture it is) so tomorrow, his Russian passport will be ready.
While Nathan was gone, I took the opportunity to go outside with Little I. The weather is still somewhat cool, but very humid & sticky. I guess it rained last night, because – well (bright moment) it was really wet out today. So when we went outside, we had some fun finding puddles to splash in, but we could not swing…which did not set well with the child. But we ended up walking around for a little bit and then coming inside to play.
The rest of the day was pretty much the same ole routine, except that this afternoon, we went up to the game room for a small farewell party for 3 other families we've become friends with. With 5 other children around 1 year old, it was a little chaotic and I am wondering if it was a little much for Iliya. He seemed to have a good time (sticking pretty close to mom, but not fussing) but we didn't stay too terribly long. When we got back to the room, we ordered a pizza for ourselves.
I think some of Little I's problems are because of his poor little tummy. I've been keeping an eye on his temperature, and he just doesn't have one. He's not pulling at his ears or anything, so I don't think he has an ear infection. He's just really whiny and is having some pretty yucky diapers. His whininess and lack of language really makes comforting difficult. But we are trying the best we can.
I guess you can tell I'm pretty tired, because I'm closing for now. I hope you all have a wonderful day ahead of you! I won't leave you hanging...here is one picture to hold you over till tomorrow, when I can post a few more.
A Growing Boy!








We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers as you head to Moscow and home. We'll pray that God continues to give you strength and encouragement. You're doing great!!
Your post reminds me of one of the days when I first started nannying full time. I had 3 month old twin boys and I don't know what I was doing wrong but I couldn't get them both to stop crying and I ended up in tears myself because I was new to this job, house, family, and I just felt like I wasn't doing a good job. Lo and behold while I was crying the babies stopped crying and just looked at me all mystified. I think it was one of those moments where the three of us really bonded. I gave in to being overwhelmed and just sat and talked to them & they responded to me. I'm so glad I didn't give up that day and quit - which is honestly what I wanted to do at that moment, because looking back at it. The boys have been such a joy in my life even today. They are a blessing! Sometimes getting through the tough moments you just have to wing it and hope for the best! You'll do great! Nathan is right you can't expect to be perfect in the first few weeks. Things take time and this too shall pass. Have a safe trip home! You'll all three be in my prayers. Iliya is beautiful :)
MandyJo
Oh and I've got my CHI application filled out except for the essays and the financial information! :)
Thanks so much for taking the time to update this for all of us...I have enjoyed hearing about your experiences and your new bundle of joy!! You guys are more than ready for this and will be great parents!!! Keep the pictures coming--he is too cute!
Tori
You are doing a wonderful job, and I completely understand how you feel about wondering if you are doing the right thing!!
I think you're on to something...I bet Iliya was overstimulated by seeing other adults and children at the party and also because Nathan wasn't there with you all that day. I remember Owen becoming overstimulated when we tried to have breakfast in the play area at the Vlad Inn when another family came in. It's okay! It just takes time and sooooo much patience! It's a hard job, isn't it? Trust me, though, it gets better. :)
He's a toddler so naturally he is going to test you, but also he is testing to make sure you're still there for him and going to love him and not leave him. You are doing an excellent job. With Owen's tantrums, I let him get upset for a second before I pick him up, then pick him up and comfort him, and then distract him with something else so that it doesn't last too long. He's just now (after a month) at the point where he'll lean into me when I try to hold him and comfort him during a tantrum. Before, he arched his back and wanted to run away.
Keep up the good work! You'll be home soon and will go through the initial adjustment of time changes and sleep alterations, but I promise it will get better. Just trust your instincts as far as too much stimulation goes. What's right for one child might not be for another.
Email or call me anytime!
:) Adrienne
PS Iliya's pictures are precious!
Welcome to mommyhood with all its ups and downs and insecurities. Our children will survive us all, and you are definitely giving him the best gift, your love.
Kimberly P.
Love and blessings,
Pam Parker
I am a mom of 2, a 5 year old and a 19 month old. They are tantrums because the little ones just can't communicate their feelings, so they sob, hit, pout, stomp feet (I have to hold back laughter when she stomps her feet though, too cute). Imagine the changes Little I is going thru (and will continue to go thru since you aren't even home yet), and how he can't tell you how frustrated and even still scared he is. It must be a lot different with an adopted child because you want them to feel loved and secure, and it hurts like heck to see them sad. One tip as a mom is the "Art of Distraction". When he really gets worked up, think of what he likes (Birds?) and point out of the window and just say "Look, a birdie (or toy or whatever)". Try to distract him from the cause of the tantrum onto another subject. You all will survive and you ARE a great mom and he will love you both with all of his heart, no matter how mad he gets sometimes! Once you get back your home, get decent sleep, eat your home cooked foods, and get into a routine, I bet things will be a lot easier on you. I love reading your blog, and once again CONGRATULATIONS and all the best to your new Family! (He is adorable)
Love,
Bethney
I'm exhausted so I will keep it short this time... you are totally normal!!! I realize that he must be frustrated that he does not understand your comforting, but if he were a newborn, then he would not understand. (I am not trying to be insensitive to any adopted children or their parents.) It will take time to learn what the other is saying (kinda like marriage!). Little I is so HANDSOME!!! I am praying for you while I too battle the hormone issues!
Cathy
So glad the wait is finally over and you are so near to the finish. Soon you'll all be in your beds at home. Praying for safe travels and for everything to go smoothly with the rest of the paperwork.
I agree with the teething suggestion. Do you have any liquid Tylenol or can you get some? If so, try giving him some of that. Maybe it will help.
He is one beautiful little boy!! Congratulations on making it official.
Not long now and you'll be HOME!!
The scarest part of my parenting experence was while i was in Russia. I didn't know how to handle tantrums at all. I was so tired. I felt like everyone was judging me- still not sure why I felt that way but I did. I was wearing the same outfit over and over and I just wanted to get home!
Once you get home and on a good schedule everything gets better. Your feelings are normal. You are doing fine
I must agree with everyone here...you're in a strange country right now and once you're back home and you get into your routine (which will take some time to adjust) it will all come together...and no mother is perfect--Jake is 17 and there are times that I feel like I have failed him in ways--but do remember--we learn how to parent from our parents and you have such wonderful parents (as does Nathan) so you will be fine...it will all fall into place but will always have bumps along the way--that's what keeps it interesting! As I have said on here before...and I hate to sound like a broken record...but God brought you to it...He will see you through it...YOU were meant to be Little I's mommy...YOU were chosen in God's grand plan for Iliya as well as His plan for you and Nathan...so just take one day at at time...and at first you may have to take one hour at a time...but you will be just fine...lean on your husband and others...but most of all lean on God!
I love you sweetie! Cher
Safe travels.