We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Monday, July 23, 2007
Day Three
I'm really being creative with these titles, huh? To answer a few questions:
--------------------------------------------
What kind of sandwiches? (referring to the fact that we went to the grocery store to get "sandwich stuff"). ham, cheese, mayo, & sweet mustard!

Is the 10 days business days or calendar days? Calendar days!!

What about using sign language with Iliya? We are using a little bit right now. Not as much as I probably should be using...but some. I need to focus on that a little more.
--------------------------------------------

Things I have learned in the past three days:
  • I can handle puke...as long as it's of the spitup variety. I haven't had the opportunity (and hope it doesn't happen for a while!) of the 'other' variety. But we had a little bit of a full belly today, and too much play. Also it could be a bit of reflux. Who knows, but it wasn't a lot...and it was fine.
  • My kid has the stinkiest poops in the world. I mean, they stink up an entire room...for hours. Even after the diaper has been carried out to the trash.
  • I will take a shower & an hour later, will be nasty again. And the kicker is...this doesn't bother me.

Things my child did today that I must tell you about:

  • He blows kisses. Or at least that's what it seems like he is doing.
  • He LOVES to swing...by himself. And then he gets out of the swing and will push an empty swing. He also likes to sit in my lap and swing.
  • While looking at a book of animals, he kept going back to the dog...and finally made the doggie sound -- "ruff ruff!"
  • He understands at least this much: his name, come here, come on, open/close, no, thank you (there may be a little more, but these, I am pretty sure of)
  • He still loves to take walks. Sometimes he likes to be carried; sometimes he prefers to walk. He always loves to stop and pick up rocks (mom, sound like anyone else you know?).
  • He asks for help when he needs it. It's mostly a sort of whiney grunt, but it's also accompanied with pointing at whatever he wants/needs, and looking at one of us to help him.
  • His favorite toy is a shoebox. He puts all of his toys into it and carries it around.
  • And finally, he has figured out how to suck. I really wanted him to get back to where he can suck, like from a sippy cup, for when we fly. He hadn't gotten it yet (remember the Nuby that's easy to chew on & get liquid?) so this morning, I pulled out a bottle (gasp!), and put some juice in it. He remembered pretty quickly (oh the power of juice)...and then transferred it to his sippy cup later.
  • Finally, today, we were looking at his "who loves baby?" book that we left at the end of Trip One. We named people in it, and then he shut the book, held it close & hugged it (much like little ones will hug on baby dolls). I about died at the sweetness.

And I'm sure there's lots more to write about, but I think these are the best of the day. I dont' want you to burnout on him before you meet him! (as if you could, right? haha) He keeps us laughing...and we pretty much anticipate what sets him off, so tantrums are fairly predictable. And just so cute. Is that right to say a tantrum is cute? Oh well, it is. I'm sure they will get old...but till then, we'll just enjoy it.

------------------------------------------

According to a really neat guy Nathan & I recently met, everyone has a story. And (I’m really over-simplifying here) our past life stories dictate how we act & react in our current life. In other words, our past interactions dictate current interactions – for instance, the ways in which my parents & I interacted could very well impact the way that I interact with Iliya (and the same goes for Nathan). I think this is pretty easy to understand, and makes sense. But I sure would like to go back in time & be a fly on the wall in the baby home so I could learn my son’s “story.” He will do things that make me wonder if these things are innate (because he’s just a kid) or a result of things that his caregivers have done with him.

Consider some of the above examples.

And also for instance, socks. Yesterday, I thought it would be interesting to see how he would react to me putting a sock on his hand. I’m not really sure what possessed me to do this, but we’ve got lots of time to do lots of different things. And putting a sock on my child’s hand was something that came to my mind, because he came over to me, and I happened to have a sock in my hand. Why do something predictable, like put it on his foot? Anyway, do you know what he did? He acted like it was a puppet. He started waving it at me while smiling and singing. It was the neatest thing to witness, because it was totally unexpected. And it gave me a glimpse of (perhaps) his playtime with caregivers. I’ve said it once & I will say it again, I believe he got the best care he possibly could have during his first year & a half. I truly believe that he was loved, and for that I am so thankful.

And even though I don’t know – for sure – about his past life, I am thankful that I’ve already been able to get a few glimpses. It makes me feel like we’ve got a good prologue to a great story just waiting to be made.

18 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
We are so thrilled that Little Man is doing so well! And I don't remember who said it, but the fact that he is singing just cements the fact that he is in the "right" family! HA! (Nate used to sing himself to sleep at night when we lived on the farm, not so much so we could hear it, but we heard it!) I am amazed that he has just fit right in as your son. We can hardly wait to meet him!!
The days will fly by, and we'll see you soon.
Love you all,
Nana & Papa

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I love the puppet story. That is too adorable. - Robin Hill

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
I love the puppet story! :-) Soulds like you guys are having lots of fun. Isn't it great how something so simple as a shoebox can entertain for hours?

Blogger Carey and Norman said...
I'm playing catch up on your blog for the past three days. Can I say that little I is a doll. He is adorable.

I'm so glad things are going so well for you with little I. It sounds like things are progressing well and that he is bonding quickly.

God Bless.

Blogger Troy and Rachel said...
I have been out of town and just able to catch up on your blog this morning and I am so glad things seem to be going well. COngrats on becoming a family and it sounds like you're doing great!!

Blogger Elle said...
Sounds like things are still going great. Keep up the good work mommy.

I saw the comment about baths over at Ann-Marie's. Warning assvice: lots of bubbles, unconventional toys (comb), and definitely warm water. Give it time. Considering past bathing it could be a while.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yes...we have shoe boxes! (imagine that? :o) plus a few more toys that his mommy & her brothers & sister (& cousins for that matter) played with. As soon as Aunt Sally (Sarah) relocates, the playroom will be set & ready (complete with a shoebox or 2).

You were about the same age as Iliya when Papa Poinken (Mr. Boykin) would take you walking & you would want to pick up every little pebble you came to in the road & hold each one till they were over running your little baby hand...and then fuss b/c you dropped one :o) That only seems like yesterday. Y'all's time you spend now will be some of your fondest memories. Have I given you the tape of your first words?

Maybe Iliya will sing like his daddy. I think Nathan may have missed his calling -- he has the most beautiful voice! I'm just glad the we have the chance to enjoy it, along with all of your's when you sing together.

Dad (Gramps) is headed over to Iliya's Nana & Papa's to work on their a/c today -- I'm sure they'll share happy thoughts about our new addition!

much love & hugs,
Mamalin

Blogger kate said...
I love the sock story! You're right--he has obviously had people loving him and playing with him; people who were truly CAREtakers.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Do you think I is singing a native lullabye or just his own sleepy song? That is so sweet! I am filled with joy over the wonderful bonding you (y'all) are experiencing with him. Blessings abound! May the Lord continue to bless you all.
Pam Parker

Blogger Unknown said...
Sounds more and more like he will fit in perfectly with the family! If he loves rocks, then he really will LOVE Natalie!! That child is still fascinated with rocks at 7 years old. Sometimes I think she'll be a geologist one day.

So glad that things are going well...though, Patrick doesn't think it's very fair that Iliya sleeps so well through the night(hee hee)! He and Nancy joked last night at Power Group that he may need to call you every couple of hours through the night to check on Iliya - HA!

Love you all bunches, Kristy

Blogger Sira said...
One thing that I have learned through this process is timing. We are all on God's timing. What I mean is that many people have a surprise and get pregnant and don't expect it and others try and can't. We then ask to adopt a child or just chose to adopt before getting pregnant- either way it is the road that has been chosen for us. Then you are handed a child. This is the child that God wants you to have. Whatever age, race, or location of the child this is the one that is chosen for you. Meant to be.

I too think about Max's story and wonder but I do have to marval on the journey that has brought us together.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I love the sock story! That must have been a very sweet moment!
And I will agree, tantrums are very cute in the beginning. Enjoy them now, because they won't be cute forever! LOL!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Of course, I love to read all the stories - most of all I love the pictures - it's so true - one picture is worth a 1000 words - and under the sink - what a boy - and holding Daddy's hand - and smiling and laughing with you - what joy - and so great you have this time just for the three of you - and I've been following Jim and Adrienne's blog quite closely - since they're a few steps ahead of you - and are having such a marvelous experience - and both of you are sooo... upbeat - it's just wonderful. love to all of you.
Sis

I've been excited to check your blog each day to see how things are going with Iliya. He sounds like he has so much personality, and I'm glad that he is adjusting so well! He is such a cute little boy!! We'll continue to keep you all in our prayers as you get to know each other better and bond as a family.

Melissa and Nathan,

It sounds like Iliya did have wonderful, loving caregivers who did the best they could with what they had. I can just picture him carrying his shoebox around and hugging the photo album. So sweet! It sounds like he is learning very quickly too! What a cutie pie. You two are doing great with him! Keep up the good work!

Love,
Adrienne

Anonymous Anonymous said...
...O.K., the puppet story just did me in for the night! I had already started getting a little wet eyed from the "Who Loves Me Book" story...so after the puppet story, ahh...I can't do anything now!!! He just keeps getting more and more precious to us everyday!!! I can't wait to meet this little blessing!

I know having a toddler is very tiring, but you and Nate are doing a wonderful job!

Love,
Andrea

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hey sister! Sorry I've been out of touch-- I just got back in town and I had to play catch up on all the blogs I've missed. The pictures are ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!!! And I am so thrilled for yall that he is becoming acclimated this well this quickly! What a blessing! I love you three and can't wait to see you! Love, Sae Sae

He has such a precious little face. Your poopie story reminds me of a little guy Dan and I babysat one night before we had kids. His folks warned us that they had fed him onion bagel earlier in the day (who feeds a two year old onion bagel, right?!) They warned us that if he had a BM it could be a stinker. We laughed disbelievingly. About two hours after mom and dad left he did it - passed the onion bagel. Dan thought, "I'll turn on the ceiling fan to give us some air. No good. He only suceeded in circulating the onion poopie smell all over our 3 story condo. When his parents got there and hour and a half later they knew he had passed it just from how our house smelled. It just doesn't seem possible that someone so small and precious could have such a big monstrous stink! Fun stuff!