Good evening (morning, for you)!
First, let me say how totally
exhausted we are. Because I am so tired, this post may be somewhat disjointed, and for that, I apologize.
We spent 6 hours in the car today, on roads that are good in some spots & not so good in others...and with a driver who seemed determined to make it to the baby home & back in record time! Also, my hat is off to Russian drivers...as I've said before, it's a dog-eat-dog world on the roads, but somehow they make it. If people in the U.S. drove like they do here, then we'd all be seriously injured - either by a wreck or serious road rage. Riding in a car in Russia is definitely a neat experience...though I was not so sure that I was going to make it without becoming car sick...but I made it, and am glad for it. We got pulled over 3 times - two for random license checkpoints, and once for speeding. It was an eventful ride!
Here we are today, before leaving on our trip
So on to the part that you really wanna hear about...the reunion with our little guy.
After our crazy ride -- When we got into town, we first had to run by the social worker's office and pick her up...then we were on our way to the baby home. When we got there, we found out that little one had just woken up from his nap, and that he was having lunch. Then we were told that he was getting changed. So we hung out in the doctor's office for about 20 minutes, waiting & getting an update on him. She told us that he has grown & that she is pleased with his development. After talking for a few minutes, the door opened, and in walked one of the caregivers, carrying Little I. He had grown a little - he's a bit taller, and has more hair - but for the most part, he hadn't changed a
whole lot.
We had been worried that he wouldn't remember us.
But when they walked in, he had this worried look on his face, and then looked at us, as if to say, "
not you people again!" So I'm not sure if he remembered us, or if he just knew something was up, but the minute the caregiver put him down, he began crying. And his cry has gotten a big stronger since the last time we saw him! This time, though, I fully expected it...and didn't get stressed over it. I felt bad for the little guy, especially knowing that this time - tomorrow - his whole life truly will be turned upside down. We interacted for a few minutes & then the caregiver tried to give him to me, so we could take him downstairs to the room we played in last time...but he would not have it. He really got himself worked up, so the caregiver went downstairs with us.
He warily interacted with us for a few minutes, until the caregiver really needed to go. She told Nathan that he favors her husband, and that Little I had let her husband hold him not long ago...so maybe he would let Nathan hold him. She gave I to Nathan, and he (Little I) didn't really like it, but we ended up calming him down. We played for a few minutes at a time, before he would start crying...then he would calm down & play...then cry.....it was a cycle. Eventually, though, he let me hold him and he seemed to be okay. I sat in the window & looked out with him...and sang to him.
I think he may've been a little tired, still, because he ended up cuddling into me and holding on to my thumb. He had the post-sob-breathing (does that make sense?) and got a little heavy-eyed.

After some time passed, our translator came back for us, and she said it was time to take him back up to his room...afterall, she said, "tomorrow, you will have him for the rest of your life."
Wow.
I really cannot believe it. After so many years of waiting, we are going to be parents!
This next part will be confusing, but I want to let you know the plan: We have court tomorrow at 3:00 p.m. (9:00 p.m. on Thursday for everyone at home)...after court, we will take the 3 hour trek to the baby home to pick him up. I'm not sure how long it will take to actually pick him up, but immediately after that, we will begin the 3 hour trek back to the hotel. By the time we get back, it will be around 10 or 11:00 p.m., here. Which will be about 6 or 7 a.m. (Friday) there.
All that confusing mess to say that I hope to post a quick something...but I may not be able to till Saturday. I just don't want you to worry, if you don't hear anything on this blog.
I will tell you that we believe the first several days will be challenging...Little I is leaving life as he knows it and entering into our life. He seems to be a pretty slow-to-warmup child...and will have some grieving to do. We would love for this transition to be the "Hollywood" transition that so many people have, but we are being realistic...we are going to pray about it, but because our prayers were answered for him to have good care/attachments at an early age, this part is going to be hard on him. And because it will be hard on him, it's going to be pretty hard for us. Today showed us that.
But if nothing else, today also showed us that we have the capability of calming him...and as Nathan says to me, over & over, it is going to be okay. We have to have faith that everything will work out, and that we will all be fine!
First, we've gotta get through court...and then the real fun begins!
We love you, Nana & Papa
What a miracle and blessing it is for you to finally be the complete family that God intended for you to be.
My teeth feel icky, but my heart is singing and my eyes are crying! Good luck in court. God will be watching over you all! Love you, Kristy
(my toothbrush calls!)
Don't be hard on yourself even though the days might get a little tough. God has been with you up to now and he will continue to be there.
I'm not worried at all about court for you. You will both do fine and I'm sure that CHI will prepare you in every way.
I can't wait to see little "I's" sweet face. What a wonderful blessing!
JennyM
Breath my sister, pray, love your husband and son...God will provide all that you need, ALL the time God is good.
I LOVE the pic of your fingers together... you need to take pictures the rest of your lives of your hands together to show the progression!
I'm praying for you!
-Bethney
Alicia
Doesn't it feel so surreal to hear that, "tomorrow you will have him forever."
If you remember send me the phone # to the hotel and your room number. If you are in need of anything (mainly a sympathetic mom) let me know. I'll pick up the phone.
You are doing a good thing on being realistic about the transition. I hope it goes smoothly. Just know that even if the first few days are rough things will eventually get better. I've been there.
You are going to do great!! I know it must be so hard for him to cry when you see him (hard on you and on him), but Little I shows such great potential for bonding and attaching to you and Nathan! He must be receiving fairly good care at his baby home as he is weary of someone other than his caregiver and that's good!
It won't be long and he'll see and feel how much you love him and all 3 of you will be changed forever. :) It's so surreal, isn't it?!
Good luck with court tomorrow! It will go great. Hopefully you won't be pulled over on the way! :)
I'm so excited for you!
Love,
Adrienne
Deborah Landon
Looking forward to hearing the details.
I hope that court goes smoothly & even if the transition period is tough... just think of it this way ... it will be great for you to be able to calm Little I and be there for him and just try to stay relaxed. It may be tough but this too shall pass, just as the wait did for you to get where you are today!
Good luck my prayers are with you!
MandyJo
I can't wait to hear more in the morning when I wake up! Or just in case, I guess I can wait till Saturday ;o)
---Lisa
Melissa sent a text message to the family last night and said that everything went fine and they were on their way back to Vlad with "a sleeping stowaway."
She'll be posting info on the blog soon, so STAY TUNED and keep those prayers going up! Thanks from all the family for your great support, encouragement...and especially prayers! GOD IS GOOD!!!!!!!!
with love, Kristy (aka "Aunt KiKi")
p.s. For those who are new or don't know, I'm Nathan's sister.