I was at the vet, today, with my dog - Gracie. A few weeks ago, she had a UTI, and went on 2 weeks of antibiotics. Well, she got better for a short amount of time, and then over the weekend, she had an accident in the house, which lead me to believe that the infection had come back. So I ran her by the vet this morning, only to find out that the vet is on vacation until next week?! We use vet #1 for routine stuff - merely because he is located halfway between our house & my work. I was going to be late for work, and I just couldn't turn around to take Grace home, so I resorted to Plan B...which consisted of taking Grace to another vet we use - located a bit farther away. Vet #2 is by far, our favorite in town - and I think that we will probably just use them, regardless of their out-of-the-wayness (not a word, but I'm using it, still).
Anyway, I love this vet because he takes the time to actually speak to every patient's owner - AND he takes the time to really diagnose & treat the animals that come through his door. And come to find out, Gracie's UTI had not gone away - the antibiotics the other vet gave her didn't really help much at all. In fact, she needed another medicine along with the antibiotics, and she's probably been in pain for a month now. I am such a horrible dog-mom (knowledge of this is just what I need right now, with all my worries about being a mom to a real-live human kid!) -- but the vet assured me that she would be fine, and he gave us a better dose of antibiotics and sent us on our way.
---------------------------------------------
Man, I am the digressor of digressors...I really didn't start out to tell you that story, but alas, there it is.
Back to the original train of thought: I (already established that I) was at the vet, and I was giving the receptionist contact numbers for when we are gone (they want to call & check on Grace). They know that we are adopting from Russia, and one of the receptionists was just..so..excited that we are actually going to "go get the baby!!!!!!" (I mean reeaallly excited. it was sweet).
She asked if we have a car seat, and if we have clothes....(to which I replied, "yes"), and in all her excitement, she asked if I've got the nursery ready. (dear me, I hope so!) When I told her that I do, she excitedly asked what the theme was. And I replied, "illustrations from children's literature." And the funniest thing happened. Her face completely fell...and I think she tried to hide her disappointment. She said, "you mean...no Poohbear?" And I told her that, in fact, Pooh bear was not the theme to our nursery. She really was almost incredulous that we were decorating with -- of all things -- pictures from books! I think the word "boring" was even good-naturedly muttered under her breath.
She was being so sweet and happy - and then all the sudden was so disappointed - I really had to hide my amusement. She ended up being okay with the fact that the nursery is not a "typical" theme...and went on to want to see pictures of Little I. And guess who did not have pictures of her son in her purse?? I took my little book out of my purse the other day, and forgot to put it back in there. Strike two against me in the mommy department!!
It's a crazy life I lead! Although, as I found out today, some would consider it pretty boring. But do you think I mind? Nah.
----------------------------------------------------
I've been asked about my checklist. Here it is, updated.
Updated checklist:
- the wonderful garage cleaning (which is really a matter of loading up stuff & taking it to the HH donation site)
buy a vacuum cleaner - buy dog &
cat food set up the dogs' appointment with the vet for baths when we come home- call the cell phone company & make sure we still have the International calling plan where calls are $3.99 from Russia, instead of $4.99!
have an extra key made for our housesitter schedule payments for all our bills from now to the first week in Augustget a suit for court - CHILDPROOF!
- Finish packing.
I've also completed thank you notes.
And I sincerely apologize for the lack of coherence to this post. But really...I must get busy... 6 days till liftoff!! Oh my goodness.
See you in Moscow.
Ronda
Thanks,
Alicia
Many blessings during your trip and I look forward to seeing those first postings of little I!!
Carey and Norman
You are so sweet! I'm sure that you'll do great! Don't worry! I'm sure that you'll get your list done and then some .. besides ..it'll be there when you get back! Can't wait to see pictures of Little I :) Take a deep breathe and just remember your whole life is about to change ... savor the moments! - Manda :)
We're happy to help while you're gone in any way that we can! Don't hesitate to call...I mean E-MAIL me with anything from Russia.
Love, Kristy...I mean, Aunt KiKi
It was today, those several years ago, that I no longer had to go to the baby crib and wonder what it was going to be like to have a little one to fill that empty bed (with the Pooh mobile overhead :o) Then in just a couple of days from now, we brought you home & we were so uncertain about how to care for a new, little, precious one...yet with a lot of advice & some newly-learned skills, we managed. We were advised by the hospital staff to keep you on a schedule -- feeding you every 4 hours (boy, were they wrong!) and you would just cry & cry & I didn't have a clue what to do. It was Nana that suggested that we needed to abandon that advice & feed you because you were hungry. Mamaw would come over every day for a few weeks to help bathe you...Auntie Cher would come help soothe you by rocking and Aunt Sissy made her long distance trip to visit & hold you (the first of the grandaugters in the family)...and I remember that when she was getting ready to head back north and came for that last visit, you were asleep & I didn't want to disturb your sleep because you slept so little in those days and I always regretted that, because once your siblings came along & I had learned the valuable lessons from you, I knew then that something like that was not an earth shattering event. -- that was one long run-on sentence :o) It's odd what we keep in our memories :o) I guess what I'm trying to say is that with all the uncertainty awaiting you around the corner, you both will do the right things & you'll do the I-wish-I-had-done-things-differently things, yet in the grand scheme of of it all, you'll figure out what's best. Just remember as I said before, we're just a phone call away...
Love you so very much! & our prayers are with & for you always! & a very, most Happy Birthday!!!
mom (& dad)
LOL, the receptionist sounds hilarious. What a great laugh.
3 days!!! Hope that list has lost a couple more things. And don't forget to pack an extra camera lense just in case. (JK!) :o)