We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Monday, June 18, 2007
Off My Rocker: the 'Comfort Foods' Edition
I love salty foods, but I often have a sweet tooth. Some of my favorite comfort foods are sweet.
As a child, my mother made our birthday cakes...we rarely ever had store bought cakes - mom would painstakingly bake our cakes (my favorite is chocolate) and iced & decorated them with homemade buttercream icing. Let me tell you that this is something that remains a #1 comfort food for me - and will be something I plan to continue with Little I. I'll be honest when I say that am not a good cake decorator - but as long as I am able, I will bake/ice him a homemade cake every year. In part because I have such great birthday memories, and part of those memories include our yummy cakes.
Mmmmm....Chocolate cake with homemade butter cream icing. My mouth is watering, just thinking about it.
But tied for first place is my Mamaw's angelfood cake. Every year for my birthday (and sometimes more often than that), SHE made me an angelfood cake. Sometimes she would bring it to me (or invite me over) to eat it -- either plain, or with strawberries that have been cut up & set in sugar for a day or two. Add a dollop of whipped cream, and I'd be set.
Oh, the childhood memories...
So a few years ago, I decided I was going to learn to make this delicious thing known as angelfood cake. Everything I had read said it had to be done 'just right' or the cake wouldn't turn out well. At the time, I had only a handheld mixer, but I found a recipe and made it. I separated my own egg whites and everything. Didn't do too bad for my first try!
I called Mamaw and asked her opinion on how I should do things better the next time.......
Her reply was something to the effect of, "Well, honey, I'd tell you, but do you know how long it has been since I have made an angelfood cake from scratch? I say just go buy the boxed mix & make it that way...it's what I do!"
Imagine the beautiful music playing in the background of this phone conversation...and when she said that, the record goes sccrrrraaatch.
This ranks right up there when, one Thanksgiving, several of the family were asking Mamaw for her creamstyle corn recipe...she proceeded to tell us all that she goes to the grocery store, buys a frozen roll of creamstyle corn, adds a tiny bit of flour, sugar & butter and microwaves it.
Oh boy, let me tell you, that totally rocked our world!
And you know why? Because she made it taste just like old times!!! (just for the record, I know for a fact she used to cut the corn off the cobb and make creamstyle corn from scratch)
So - yeah, I'm too lazy to cut corn off of the cobb to make homemade creamstyle corn...so I'll continue microwave the frozen roll of it & add flour, sugar & butter to it, to make it more "homestyle"............but I will not take the short cut with my angelfood cake!
Part of the reason for this is because my precious siblings all went in together - a few years ago - and bought me a KitchenAid stand mixer. Other than my iPod, that mixer is one of the best gifts I've ever received.
So if I'm gonna bake an angelfood cake, I truly have no excuse for not baking one from scratch.
However, you don't have to have a stand mixer. You CAN use a handheld mixer...I have done it. AND you can crack open your own eggs and separate the yolks from the whites...I've done that, too. This weekend, though, I had a carton of egg whites about to expire...so I figured I could put them to good use and make an angelfood cake or two! So that's what got me started on this go-around of angelfood cakes.
So - I guess the wait has really started to get to my brain. And here's why: I had the great idea to actually take pictures of the process to show you all how to make an angelfood cake from scratch! I thought about posting pics w/ descriptions, but why do that, when I can hone my videomaking skills!...right??
This video is only the second I've ever made...and it also ranks up there with America's Most Boring Videos...so you don't have to watch it. BUT - if you wanna learn how to make the perfect angelfood cake...
I'm your girl. And this is your video.
And I imagine that by the end, you all will agree wholeheartedly with me...I am going off my rocker. We'd better get "the call" really soon! Or I'm going to tackle that creamstyle corn...and show you all about it!
*LOL* Growing up, I never knew Mamaw to cook from a box--everything was from scratch and WHEW was she a good cook! But you know...times have changed & I just don't have the time to cook from scratch anymore...as long as we have something on the table to eat..we're doing good *LOL*
I remember her telling us about the corn...like you...I remember her cutting the corn off the cob...
Do you remember when Dadaw spanked you? Probably the first time he ever did...you were just trying to help by flashing the flies while they were shucking the corn...it just broke your heart that Dadaw swatted your bottom...
Oh and boy your mom made such good cakes! My favorite though is the chocolate sheet cake...haven't had that in YEARS! I remember us trying to make one for Mamaw one year...so many of our fond memories are when we were gathered around the table...
It will be so wonderful making your own memories & traditions with Lil' I...telling him of our family traditions and him getting to experience them...
I too love cake and buttercream icing is my favorite, so I definitely need you to share your mother's recipe. One of my favorite things to do is make desserts. Chocolate or sweets is a must for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Looking forward to hearing news on your adoption journey soon! It sounds like accreditation is just around the corner!!
Glad to hear I'm not the only one turning to comfort food to pass the time while we wait. I've cooked up a storm lately. Pies, cakes, elaborate dinners, Russian breads, you name it. I think it's a bit of transference, I can't feed my kids so I'll feed everyone else. That call can't come soon enough.
Congratulations Nathan!!! We are so proud of you & are so blessed to have you in our family! David & I have often said that if we had been given the chance to choose a mate for our daughter (like in the olden days), that we couldn't have chosen a better mate for her. God has richly blessed us in so many ways and are thankful to Him for His blessings. We are also very thankful to have your parents and other family as our friends...which it really seems more like family!
Missa, I thought it funny that Cher remembered your one time in trouble with Dadaw, b/c that's exactly what I thought of when you were talking a/b making your own cream-style corn from scratch....you were just heart-broken when he swatted your little bottom for getting in the middle of the corn-shucking mess, "flashing" the flies (which you used for swatting :o). That was the day we went to the doctor's office to find out Christopher wasn't going to be twins...oh the memories!
For anyone that's interested...this is the recipe for the chocolate cake that I always made for bithdays & other occasions:
Disappearing Chocolate Cake
3/4 c. margarine, softened 1 ¾ c. sugar 2 eggs 1 t. vanilla 2 c. all-purpose flour 2/3 c. cocoa 1 ¼ t. baking soda 1/2 t. salt 1 1/3 c. water
Cream margarine & sugar till light & fluffy. Add egg & vanilla. Beat 1 minute at medium speed. Combine dry ingredients & add alternately with water to creamed mixture. Pour into greased & floured 8 inch pans or 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes until done (toothpick test). Delicious with buttercream icing!
I'll have to double-check the buttercream icing recipe, so I don't give the wrong ingredient amounts.
Another cute Mamaw story is when she tries to pull off instant mashed potatoes off as the real thing. She used to never-ever make the instant version, but I guess things change, and now it's dinner-time discussion to figure out if they're "real" or "imitation" and speaking of Mamaw -- a Happy 22nd Birthday to her tomorrow for the 58th time!!! (#80 :o)
I for one can vouch for Lin's cake! It's awesome...just like all of her cooking is!
And for Mamaw's instant mashed potatoes...I can tell the difference...especially when she doesn't use Kraft mayo *lol* And then she'd try to say it was when it wasn't! But you can't beat her potroast!!! yummmmmm!!!!!
p.s. loved the video -- hope to see you on PBS someday (the Saturday cooking shows)...move Rachel & Martha -- looks like they have some competition :o) hugs ~ mom
Great video! I was on the edge of my seat to the very end! You definitely made the whole process seem easier than it really is, though. Do you remember, long ago, when we made an angel food cake at your house from scratch? I distinctly remember thinking afterwards that, while the cake surely was scrumpdillyicious, it was just too much trouble to make!
Oh, Melissa! You're video was GREAT!!! And you know what the worst part is?? It's 10:00, I have no egg whites and now I'm craving CAKE! :-) I guess reeses peanut butter cups will have to do.
As the cinematogropher for parts of the video I must explain my outburst on the film. I was in the middle of videoing the mixing and Melissa asked if I was videoing. I thought that was funny since it would be on the film, so I laughingly said, "*chuckle, chuckle* Yeah". Not being the editor of the film, her comment was edited out and mine was not...just thought everyone might like to know.
For people with sweet teeth this depression era frosting goes well with angel food cake.
7 Minute Frosting 1/4 cup Butter (Not Margarine or Vegetable Spread! Use Real Butter!) 1 Egg 1/2 tsp. Vanilla 1/4 tsp. Salt 1/4 Cup Cold Water (Ice water without the Ice works best.) 1/4 Cup Flour 1 lb. Powdered Sugar
Cream first 5 ingredients. Add the flour and powdered sugar. Beat for 7 minutes on high.
"When I was very young, most of my childhood heroes wore capes, flew through the air,
or picked up buildings with one arm. They were spectacular and got a lot of attention.
But as I grew, my heroes changed, so that now I can honestly say that anyone who does
anything to help a child is a hero to me."
~Fred Rogers
"I'll love you forever I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living My baby you'll be."
~Robert Munsch
"Beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but its the middle that counts the most. Try to remember that when you find yourself at a new beginning"
~Hope Floats
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle"
~Fleur Conkling Heylinger
"The real issue in life is not how many blessings we have, but what we do with our blessings. Some people have many blessings and hoard them. Some have few and give everything away."
~Fred Rogers
I remember her telling us about the corn...like you...I remember her cutting the corn off the cob...
Do you remember when Dadaw spanked you? Probably the first time he ever did...you were just trying to help by flashing the flies while they were shucking the corn...it just broke your heart that Dadaw swatted your bottom...
Oh and boy your mom made such good cakes! My favorite though is the chocolate sheet cake...haven't had that in YEARS! I remember us trying to make one for Mamaw one year...so many of our fond memories are when we were gathered around the table...
It will be so wonderful making your own memories & traditions with Lil' I...telling him of our family traditions and him getting to experience them...
Love you!!!
Cher
P.S. Congratz Nathan!!!!!!!
I too love cake and buttercream icing is my favorite, so I definitely need you to share your mother's recipe. One of my favorite things to do is make desserts. Chocolate or sweets is a must for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Looking forward to hearing news on your adoption journey soon! It sounds like accreditation is just around the corner!!
Best wishes,
Carey and Norman
Ronda
Missa, I thought it funny that Cher remembered your one time in trouble with Dadaw, b/c that's exactly what I thought of when you were talking a/b making your own cream-style corn from scratch....you were just heart-broken when he swatted your little bottom for getting in the middle of the corn-shucking mess, "flashing" the flies (which you used for swatting :o). That was the day we went to the doctor's office to find out Christopher wasn't going to be twins...oh the memories!
For anyone that's interested...this is the recipe for the chocolate cake that I always made for bithdays & other occasions:
Disappearing Chocolate Cake
3/4 c. margarine, softened
1 ¾ c. sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
2 c. all-purpose flour
2/3 c. cocoa
1 ¼ t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 1/3 c. water
Cream margarine & sugar till light & fluffy. Add egg & vanilla. Beat 1 minute at medium speed. Combine dry ingredients & add alternately with water to creamed mixture. Pour into greased & floured 8 inch pans or 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes until done (toothpick test). Delicious with buttercream icing!
I'll have to double-check the buttercream icing recipe, so I don't give the wrong ingredient amounts.
Another cute Mamaw story is when she tries to pull off instant mashed potatoes off as the real thing. She used to never-ever make the instant version, but I guess things change, and now it's dinner-time discussion to figure out if they're "real" or "imitation" and speaking of Mamaw -- a Happy 22nd Birthday to her tomorrow for the 58th time!!! (#80 :o)
And for Mamaw's instant mashed potatoes...I can tell the difference...especially when she doesn't use Kraft mayo *lol* And then she'd try to say it was when it wasn't! But you can't beat her potroast!!! yummmmmm!!!!!
~Cher
hugs ~ mom
Nathan
Thanks for the recipe.
For people with sweet teeth this depression era frosting goes well with angel food cake.
7 Minute Frosting
1/4 cup Butter (Not Margarine or Vegetable Spread! Use Real Butter!)
1 Egg
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 Cup Cold Water (Ice water without the Ice works best.)
1/4 Cup Flour 1 lb. Powdered Sugar
Cream first 5 ingredients.
Add the flour and powdered sugar.
Beat for 7 minutes on high.
http://rebelwithafrog.blogspot.com/2009/02/frosting.html
:) RWaF