We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Monday, June 04, 2007
The Finished Product



In response to a question: I'd like to say that I loan Nathan out...but this is the first building project he's done so far! He fixes stuff all the time - and if that's whatcha need, then maybe we can work out a deal! :)

Anyway, Nathan finished the shelf this evening - I think it looks pretty good! Now the fun part begins...deciding what color to paint it and actually painting it! Any suggestions you may have will be totally welcome.

Here is the man with his finished product:



Here is the shelf where it will go in Little I's room:



And here is the shelf sporting 2 cool bins I found at T^rget. There is also a red & blue one that go in the set. If they work well, I may add to the collection, but I thought four was a good start:


8 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Wow, Nate, your Dad & I are VERY impressed!! You know he has always thought he could build anything or do anything he set his mind to! I'm the skeptical one. But you did a really good job!
Love, Momma

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Must be something in the Bridges blood line...Kevin has been itching to start piddling with wood work. Nate did an awsome job...and I think staining it a comparable stain to the crib would be beautiful...but if you must paint it, I would go with white or whatever color your trim might be and use baskets, toys and the colorful binding on books to bring in different colors! Just a suggestion...(0:
Love y'all! Andrea

Blogger Unknown said...
The bookcase looks great! As far as painting, I wish I were there!! You know how I LOVE to paint! If you can wait a month, I'll gladly do it when I get home, but you may be too anxious to wait that long, which I totally understand.

As far as the color, since the bed and changing table/chest of drawers are a matching stain, I would personally go with a color. You can't go wrong with white, but I think that a bright red would be nice, too. It would bring out more colors matching your other decorations. If you go that route, be sure to get a primer with tint added! Trust me on that one!!

You could also paint it white and get Kelli to add matching artwork on the sides. She's really good with that kind of work. Just another thought.

Anyhoo, those are my thoughts. Talk to you soon! Love, Kristy

Blogger Unknown said...
On second thought, red wouldn't go well with the cute bins you have. Definitely white! A bright white would really make the colors of the bins pop, too!! Love, Kristy

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm surprised Aunt Lini (Grandmudder to little I) hasn't commented yet (she may have the lumber ready when Nate comes to visit - as well as I)- you did a great job Nathan - and I know it's better built than the ones you buy - and much less the cost - as for color - would one on your colors on the bedding work? Like maroon - anything you decide will look fine - he's going to have a full room!! Love sis

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Good job Nathan!!! It looks great! Shana

Blogger Unknown said...
Good first project, super job! And extra points for getting it done so quickly. Projects like that around my house ususally take forever to actually get completed.

My recommendation, prime before you paint and use oil-based primer andd paint, not latex. Latex paint is great for walls, but for surfaces that will take more wear and tear oil-based is better. Bad thing about oil-based is that it has a stonger odor and not as easily cleaned up - for this reason I also recommend the disposable paint tray, and inexpensive brushes/rollers that you can just throw out. As for color, well you're on your own there. think about future uses and changing decor, maybe something neutral. I like the colored baskets too. I would recommend white because I think that would really make the baskets stand out, but that may not go with the furniture or wood floor. I'm sure you will select a perfect color.

CUTE CUTE CUTE!! The colored bins are going to look so cute with the bedding :O) Nice job, Nathan!!