My child is not here yet. But he has amassed a TON of things! We are so thankful for all the gifts he has received - clothes, books, toys - but we have run into the issue of having a place to put everything (read: we need some shelves). Since Little I's furniture is a darker wood, I thought it might look funny to put a different-stain shelving unit in. Well, a friend from work suggested going to yardsales & finding something to paint! Aha! Why didn't I think of that?
So N and I went mini-yardsaling Saturday morning, but didn't find anything that we could paint. So we went to the unfinished furniture store in town, and found a lot of things that would work (but in our opinions were overpriced -- ESPECIALLY since our cashflow is extra tight right now, trying to save every last penny we can).
So we ended up getting one smaller unfinished bookcase that was marked down. But I wanted something that is relatively short, but LONG. I'm shooting for a Martha Stewart thing, with the labeled bins, etc.
So - my dearest husband volunteered to go to Home Depot, buy wood and attempt to build the shelving unit I desire for Little I's room. It would be much less expensive...AND I would get what I want! Has N ever built anything before? Not to my knowledge - but there's no telling what Bob Vila monster might emerge as a result of taking on this project!!
Nathan may've missed his calling... here are his plans for the shelving unit:

Oh, how excited am I...he is outside in the shop, building right now...I can't wait to show you the end product!!!
Look out Bob Vila & Martha Stewart...we're gaining on you!