We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Saturday, June 09, 2007
The Papa Builds...
...and the Mama paints.

And this Mama reeeeaaaaaallllllly does not enjoy painting! So I should say that I am awfully glad that we ended up using white paint, and that it went fairly quickly. Putting the finishing touches on the bookcases (the one we bought discounted and the one N built) has been my evening(s) project for the past week. I'm awfully glad it's done, now!

I spent this morning figuring out the arrangement of Little I's room. I couldn't quite get 'into' having all dark wood furniture on one side of the room and then the 2 white bookcases on the other. In addition to that struggle, ALL of the furniture was not fitting exactly as I had thought it would.

So I did a little bit of rearranging, and (if I may say so myself) it looks quite good!!

I also decided to FINALLY take Little I's pictures around town to get some quotes on framing. I went to the first place and the guy was very helpful. But the quote that he came up with was going to be $80 - per picture - and y'all know that I have 8 or 10 pictures that I want to hang in Little I's room!! (I think the size of these pictures was part of the cost) A lower quote was $50 (also per picture) and that is the moment that I decided that Little I is not going to care if the pictures in his room were custom-framed. Because, frankly, they're just not going to be.

Maybe some day, but not this day...we've got way too many financial commitments right now, to spend $500 - 800 for wall hangings.

So I hopped right back to the framing section of my favorite hobby/craft store and found some plain black 12 x 12 frames. There's not a mat around the pictures...but you can't argue with a $6.99 frame - that is $3.50 this week because of a sale. I got all the pictures in their frames (framed the lot for about $38) and while they obviously didn't turn out the way I had originally intended...I still think they look really good!

Alright - enough rambling for the evening...I have pictures of Little I's room, but I am going to save them, at least till tomorrow. I don't want to give it all to you in one day! I've gotta save things to write about...things to bring you back another day! :) For now, you get pictures of me painting that infamous bookcase.

I guess Nathan thought that if I took pictures of him, it would only be fair to catch me in action, too. So here you go:

*click on pics to make them bigger*
using wood filler using wood filler priming painting painting
Yes! I AM a messy painter - I admit it!!
8 Comments:
Blogger Deb said...
Oh, I can't wait to see the finished project.
I know you said you bought inexpensive frames... but if you have a Michaels you should watch for their coupons. They do 50% off custom framing. Although I'm not sure if it's off 1 piece or an entire order. Just a suggestion.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I see three thing painted! Two book stands and yourself. I love reading your "book". It's like sitting down to a good story book and you can't wait to get to the next page to see what happens. Keep up the good work and Wednesday is really a good day, because it's work hump day and closer to Friday.

Melissa the frames are just fine. If anyone says anything tell them they can go and have them framed like you wanted to in the first place and then see how much they like them then.

Blogger Jane said...
I think you "done good" on the frames for the nursery! And if anyone tells you they look cheap, tell them your cheap friend from South Carolina gave the frames and pics to you! You are always free to blame your thrifty budget on me. I am all about the finished product and not the debt that occurs because of the finished product!

Blogger Troy and Rachel said...
This future mama hates to paint too, so I feel for you!! I would have gone with the frame it yourself also!! I can't wait to see the whole room!! Hope you hear a court date soon.

Blogger Allison said...
I can't stand to paint either. But even though you say you don't like to paint, you look soooo happy!! I can't wait to see his finished room...with him in it!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Okay, you and I paint a lot alike, with more paint being on your body than the object your painting. Looks great!!!!! Maybe I missed this post, but which pictures did you end up going with???? Shana

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
I'm with you on the frames - I would have done the same thing! Whenever I need to paint, I call my sister and she does most of the leg work. I end up wearing 3/4 of the paint and complaining the whole time. :-) I can't wait to see pictures of the room completed! The suspense is killing me.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Awesome job on the painting! :o) I'm new to the IA circuit, my DH & I have in the homestudy process. Can't wait to read more about your journey!