We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Wednesday, June 06, 2007
--Wednesday--
When she lived here, my friend -Ginger- and I used to joke about the fact that Wednesdays tend to be pretty crappy days for me. In fact, if ONE day out of the week is gonna be bad, it probably won't be Monday. Nope, it's going to be Wednesday. In fact, I should've probably learned, long ago, to just go ahead & stay in bed on Wednesdays.

But no. I chance it. Every Wednesday, I get up, determined that the day is going to be good. And sometimes it is. But a lot of times, it just plain ole stinks. Some days, I make it 3/4 of the way through the day...and then wham! something happens that just sorta ruins the day for me.

Take today for instance. Good day. I was tired, from a really strange dream I had last night, but for the most part, it was good. This afternoon, I received a call, saying that I was about to receive our long-awaited court petition via email. This, with a list of other docs we have to redo b/c they will be expiring soon. No big deal. In fact, quite exciting, since I had been lamenting over the location of this court petition!

One of our docs that has to be updated is our home study. Also, no biggie - I called our hs social worker, and we figured that we could have this done in maybe a week's time.

When you get to this point in the adoption process, you (or at least I) start waiting for the other shoe to drop. Things are going well...surely something is going to happen, to mess with things. What could it possibly be?

Melissa -- Why Dare Ask?? Because, you know, you are GOING to get an answer! And on a Wednesday, nonetheless!

The other shoe? An email from the hs sw's supervisor, telling her that we have to have our child abuse/neglect background clearances redone. This could take a few weeks.

I'm upset, but not AT anyone - just frustrated with the process. I KNOW, they've gotta make sure that we haven't abused or neglected any children in the past year. I KNOW i's must be dotted and t's must be crossed. I KNOW this is all required. But that doesn't make it any less frustrating.

And that's just it. I'm frustrated.

Oh, if only I knew the person who takes care of these investigations. I would ask them to let me hand deliver this form - and, pretty please, could it be finished in less than a few weeks.

You know, in the grand scheme of things, a few weeks will probably not make a difference. But when you get to this point in the adoption process - it's easy to become egocentric, and feel like the whole world NEEDS to revolve around you and your deep desire to get your child at home. A few weeks seems like an eternity, when you're staring it in the face.

But then again, I was looking at a picture of one of Nathan's younger (2nd, I believe) cousins. This child is almost 12. He was TWO when Nathan & I started dating. I commented to his mother about how time flies, and how I can't believe how much he has grown. And then it dawned on me what I was saying. In 10 years, I will look back on this blog post and think about how quickly the years have passed...I will look at my own almost-12-year-old child and wonder how I could've ever thought that a few weeks was any big deal.

And to paraphrase my boss - maybe there is something that can be done about this delay in paperwork. We will do what we can...but sometimes we just have to take these roadblocks and realize we are on God's time and His timeline. It's not easy to see it that way, when we don't know the future. But we have to accept it - and pray our way through it.

And in ten years, we'll look back and see how much better it was to have Faith and Patience - because God's way was so much more than we could've imagined.
8 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
As the younger cousin's mother,I must say(with tears in my eyes and hope in my heart).."Very well said...!"

Love,
Andrea

Blogger Maggie said...
I understand the frustration, even if it is only a few weeks delay. I always found the situations when there was no-one to be angry at harder to take -- sometimes it's nice to have an avenue to channel your anger to (even if you have no intention of letting them know you're angry). Petty of me, isn't it?

If you could find out who to call about the child abuse clearance you might be surprised to see they could expedite it. Call, ask politely -- if they say no, you're no worse off.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Right, and keep telling yourself that - we had a great lesson last night on the parable of the "empty house" Luke 11 - how we become strong and Satan leaves but then he comes back looking for our weakest point and how we have to stay strong so he doesn't creep back in, because if he does, he'll take a bigger part of our life - that really didn't have anything to do with your "red tape"; I just didn't remember hearing it explained that way before - and guess I just needed it on a "poopy" Wednesday - Look forward to your redone paperwork being finished - it has to be getting close for them to want it redone - yeah!!!!:) Have you decided on a color for your beautiful book case yet?
love sis

Blogger Allison said...
Just wanted to send some hugs your way. I know how frustrating it is to wait.

Blogger Deb said...
How refreshing to hear this view on the waiting game.
You appear to have so much patience and the right outlook on this whole process.
Sometimes when we least expect it God will work a miracle. I hope that you are able to get the clearance faster than anticipated.

Oh, Melissa,
I wished so much last night I had been home when you called so I could have focused more on our conversation and said just the right thing to make you feel better. I know how hard it is to wait and to feel like each day is a week and that you're never going to get back to your little boy. I felt that way for 8 weeks, and I wanted to cry all the time. I'm sure this news just sent you over that edge of doing okay and being patient with God's timing to wanting to scream! I do think you could call and at least see if you can get the clearance expedited...it never hurts to ask!! I really hope it goes faster that they've told you. You are always in my thoughts and in our prayers each day. I'm sending you a BIG hug!!
Love,
Adrienne

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
Pictures! Can you send pictures of little I with your request for a background check?? I know how frustrating the first part of the paperchase can be, but between trips I can even imagine how frustrated/upsetting it can be. I can honestly say I'm so impressed with your strength. My fingers are crossed for a quick turn around on this form!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth Does not become weary or tired. His understanding is inscrutable. He gives strength to the weary, And to {him who} lacks might He increases power. Though youths grow weary and tired, And vigorous young men stumble badly, Yet those who wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will mount up {with} wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary.
- Isaiah 40:28-31