I'm a member of a message board that I used to frequent during some of our years of infertility. It's a wonderful message board - but I rarely posted to it, mostly just lurked to find out info. There is also an adoption forum - but it's mostly people adopting domestically or from China. There are a few other countries represented -- but as far as I know, I may be the only one representing Russia. It's not really a place of rumors/speculation, like a lot of other adoption forums - Like I said, most of us found that board and lurked/posted about infertility struggles...so it's a pretty small group of people that have "moved on" to the adoption forum.
Anyway, I usually check this board every couple of days, and today, I read a post by a lady who has 1 biological child, 1 adopted child, and another biological child on the way. The basic nature of her post was that while her extended family accepts and loves both of the older children (remember, the last one isn't quite born) - they differentiate between the adopted child and the biological children. From what the lady posted, it sounds like the family does not
mean to do this, but they do it anyway. If they are out in public, and a stranger comments on the 2 cute children - it never fails that a family member will point out that "this one is the older, and this one is the younger...she's the adopted baby."
And maybe part of me is naive - but I can't imagine actually saying something like that. And I can't imagine either of our families saying this, either. At least I would be completely taken aback if they did.
When Little I comes home - yes, we will have been made a family through adoption, but he won't be referred to as "our adopted child"...he will be "our child." Period. He will definitely know that he is adopted - there is no question in my mind about that. But I don't think that other people need an explanation about how he became our child - we don't want him to feel like he is...well, different, or that somehow being adopted sets him apart from other members in our family. We want to help him know about the place in which he was born - and to be proud of his heritage - but that is his story to tell to the random people in the grocery store, if he wants to one day.
I may be setting my sights too high, or I may be way off-track...but that post really did weigh heavily on me today, and I guess I just needed to talk about my feelings on subject. Some of you who are parents through adoption - may have some special insight for me. If you do, I more than welcome it!
For now, I know we both have great families who already love Little I - and are more than ready for him to come home! I just never want him to be referred to as "Little I...he's the adopted one." Nah, he'll be "Little I...the one & only!"
I worry about my child being referred to as "the little Russian boy" or "the adopted one". I think it's going to be SO important to ensure the kids understand that adoption just means a child was born in our hearts not in our tummy, but loved all the same.
Sorry for the book!! I must be chatty and I absolutely understand how that post hit a nerve with you!
"I have four children, two are adopted. I forget which two."
Some people just don't have hearts and minds as open and loving and accepting as you and Nathan and all your family. You'll instill the same acceptance and unconditional love in Little I, and he in turn will grow in that love. He'll be confident and strong and should any stranger make a comment that is less than tactful Little I will have the confidence and grace to brush off the inconsideration of others, and the love in his heart to forgive them and try to teach others the acceptance that he's been raised with.
---L
If grandma is talking to a friend, she may be wanting to strut her feathers as a grandma and just saying that this is the child we have prayed for and are soooo blessed to be in our family.
Maybe it is her way of promoting adoption. Like... isn't it cool how God blessed us with such a wonderful opportunity!
I guess this is just my hopeful thoughts that grandma is trying to be supportive and not a "mean old lady". I do realize that there are people that don't love adoption as much as the rest of us, and pray that grandma is not one of THEM!
We made sure they understood what the proper language/expectations were, and for the most part, everything has been fine. We've had one or two "odd" comments, but once we discuss them, everything is ok.
We found it much more rewarding to take a hard line and just say "this is what is expected of you while we are around" instead of just leaving things hanging.
All my sister-in-laws and MIL were horrid before we laid down the law, but now they are either fine, or don't say anything. The BIL's? They're fine.