We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Friday, June 29, 2007
Nesting & Other Stuff
First, let me say "thank you" to all your comments & thoughts in my last post. It's awfully refreshing to know that we are NOT out there, alone, in our feelings. I mean really refreshing. Those of you that commented - especially you that I know IRL, or have been reading your blog for a long time - are people that I consider "very together" on the parenthood thing, and very normal, good parents. So it really is good to know that my feelings are okay - and that we will know what to do when the time comes. In the meantime.... I guess winging it is okay, too!

I think the rest of this post is going to be bulleted. I am feeling pretty rotten this morning, and don't have much energy for being coherent...but I knew that y'all would probably start beating down my doors to make sure we hadn't slipped off to Russia, if I didn't post soon. So here it is:
  • Last week was one, crazy week. I know that Monday, I mentioned having my 2 biggest projects of the year completed...and thank goodness for that! But last week really was a very busy week. If I hadn't had such a wonderful staff to help me organize & take care of things (we were putting on a small conference on Friday & Saturday), I do believe I would've gone crazy. However, since I did have some great people to work with - here, I sit, sane. We also had wonderful, interesting, & fun conference presenters (I'm not just saying that because I gave one of them my blog address! They really were fab - everyone thought so!)...and very interested participants. So in all, it was a great weekend. By Monday, I was exhausted.

  • The first part of this week was spent cleaning up from the weekend, reorganizing and putting away.

  • One thing lead to another, and before I knew it, I was cleaning out filing cabinets in my office and totally purging them of stuff I did not need. I figured that if I'm going to be in Russia (hopefully) soon, then my office should be organized in the event that a file is needed from in here. My desk is also much like the closets - I've posted about - at home. Every now & again, I have to pull everything out, purge what I do not need, and reorganize. Yesterday, our grad assistant spent the better part of an hour shredding stuff for me - and she overheated the shredder twice!

  • One of my coworkers came in my office yesterday and said, "Melissa, we've been hearing you in here working, and we've decided you are nesting." Hmmm....so that's what this is....nesting. I can tell you now...I don't need to be nesting at work so much as I do at home! What is wrong with me?! :) But I will have one of the most organized desks in this place!!

  • One interesting thing I have found out about myself through the cleaning out process is that I literally hoard pens and other writing utensils. Actually, I knew this about myself, but it really became re-clear to me as I cleaned out a desk drawer and realized that I had at least 16 highlighters, 20 sharpies, a mug FULL of probably around 40 pens and pencils, as well as probably 30 other pens in my drawer. Please tell me. WHAT can one person do with over 100 writing utensils? Who knows. But go to my house, look in my craft closet. What will you see? a BOX with at least 100 pens/markers/highlighters that I NEVER use. This does NOT include my GOOD pens/markers/etc. that I use for scrapbooking & card making. See, that's the thing. I don't use the majority of these writing utensils - at work, home, the ones in my purse. I guess I'm saving them for a rainy day, I don't know. I have about 4 favorites - and the rest I just keep, and only a small percentage of these are kept for sentimental reasons (there are a few pens from my childhood that I thought were really cool - and then the 2 pens that N & I signed our mortgage papers with...the rest of them, just random pens). It's a weird collection. Probably not one I should've told you about, because I'm almost afraid of what it says about me. But there you go!

So there's a bulleted post about me. Would you like some adoption-related stuff? No news, really, but here are a few things:

  • The dossier copy that we're taking with us when we travel is finally complete and bound. I need to get a snazzy "trapper keeper" kind of notebook for when we travel. Remember trapper keepers? I had one with kittens on it, in the 3rd grade. My aunt Cheryl had bought it for me, and WOW, I thought I was cool. Till it got stolen, about 2 days into my ownership of it. BUT I digress... the bottom line is that our dossier copy is sitting, in wait of court/travel dates, and I'd like to get a nicer, notebook that will zip up - or something - when we travel.

  • I made arrangements for our fresh, crisp bills, yesterday. Those should be going in the safe deposit box soon - also ready for travel.

  • Our dossier has been with the Primorsky court for about a week, now. We got confirmation of that - and are now just sitting, waiting. We are praying the the judge will look at it and give us a speedy court date - though she/he technically has 2 months to review everything. Let's pray for that speedy court date...because the summer months are considerably slower & people go on longer vacations.

So I think that's it for now. Fourteen weeks ago, we left Russia - and are more than ready to get back! And since I can't think of a snappy finish - I'll just leave you with this post while I get to work...and more nesting.

9 Comments:
Blogger Great Aunt Cheryl said...
Wow! I had forgotten about that trapper keeper...

You're not alone in the pen department...I LOVE pens! I finally cleaned mine out & gave the ones I don't use/like to the office--maybe you get your love of pens from me? When I worked at the mental health center I had a HUGE collection of different pens from different meds...

It sounds like you're getting organized...do it now for this may be your last time to be able to do it! Not only home...but work too! You can be more productive & efficient if you're organized...you KNOW what an organization freak I am...but seriously...you'll be able to enjoy your time with Lil' I if everything is "in its place" so to speak :o)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
We will be praying for a speedy court date.
Love, Nana & Papa

Blogger Unknown said...
Hey, I have good news for you the courts in Vlad don't usually take very long to issue the court date so you should be getting news REALLY soon. Also we learned that the whole August shut down thing varies by region it's really just that many court officials take vacation in July or August. Good news, there is more than one judge in Vlad so if one is on vacation that 'shouldn't' keep things from moving forward. Our last docs (hopefully) will be on the way to Vlad this afternoon as soon as I get copies of the Apostilled docs scanned into the computer. Who knows, maybe we will see you in Vlad???!!!

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
You are too funny! I'm not a pen hoarder, but I am a pen thief. I steal them, yet I still never have a pen when I need one! Hmmm... I know we've never met and live in two different states, but are you hoarding the pens I steal?? :-) hahaha! I took off from work Thurs and Fri next week to clean my closets! Like you, I need to purge every so often. We have one queen size bed and 15 sets of queen size sheets. Problem? Why, yes, with closets as small as mine! My poor peanut won't have a closet at the rate I'm going.

Wishing your a SPEEDY court date! I heard the same thing that kaymommy heard about the August shutdown, so that is GOOD news! Have a great weekend!

Blogger JennStar said...
LOL! I'm so glad I'm not the only one that can collect an army of pens, pencils, and other office supplies just by cleaning out my drawers! LOL!!
We're in the process of adopting from Russia also (I apologize- not sure if I've said that in a previous post or not) and while we have 2 sons already biologically, I have a similar "fear" that I won't know exactly what she'll need, since she's a different person from my boys and I won't have had the same newborn time to get to know her that I had with them. But, like you mentioned that others have said to you, it's just something that I've got to muscle through. I have no dought that you'll make a wonderful Mother to Little I! He is a lucky little one to have the priveledge to call you Mommy!!

Sweet Melissa,

I'm sorry I've sparked fear in you! :) Little I will likely let you know when he is hungry and sleepy, and he'll be so used to putting himself to sleep and not getting a lot to eat, he should do great! Overall, Owen has done very well sticking to his schedule that the baby home gave to us. The first day, I had very similar feelings as yours...what do I do now? I promise, it just happened. Jim helped me so much working as a team, and I know Nathan will help you and Little I will do just as well.
Lots of love,
Adrienne
PS I LOVE good pens too!!!! and sticky notes!!

Blogger kate said...
i find i save the "good" pens. how crazy is that? what am i saving them FOR?

i'm wondering how many of your pens are filled with the blue ink so beloved by russian officials....

hope you hear good news soon!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
It's like we said the other day...the nut doesn't fall far from the tree :o) -- I went to Dollar General yesterday to pass some time while Dad was in a meeting & guess what I bought??? Yep, a pair of the blue Gel pens and a pack of 3 highlighters -- and like you, I have enough pens, markers, & highlighters to stock the pen aisle of an office supply store with!

My hope & prayer is that with your birthday just right around the corner, that the news to travel will be the best present you could receive!...whether it's before, on or after your birthday, each day brings it one day closer!
love you all, mom

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Many at church have been asking about you three - Becca, Pepper, Melissa Precise and her boyfriend, that I can think of right now - we're excited too - sorry - I can't quite say I'm a pen hoarder - I have a lot of them but none to write home about - no pun
intended. Look forward to hearing more about anything!
love sis