Just a few things:
- Little I has determined that there are tons of food choices out there, now. He has also determined that if he does not really like what he is eating, then...he doesn't have to eat it! This is getting pretty difficult for us, because things that he like 2 days ago, he has decided not to like. Milk, for instance. Not happening. At best, the milk goes in and right out of his mouth. Ham is another example. The kid ate ham like it was going out of style the other day. Today? Nope. Can't stand it. I guess it's part of introducing new foods, coupled with the realization that there is soooooooo much more out there than porridge, crackers, kefir and tea. But he still likes yogurt. I think if he quits liking yogurt, then a major disaster must be on the horizon!
- My child has been so cranky today! One second laughing...the next second, whining. All I can do is hold him - sometimes he doesn't even want that. I know it is not helping to have the language barrier. We are trying a little sign language, but have not been very consistent. Gotta get better about that.
- He seems to be teething. I told some of the other parents that we are here with, I've never had a child...so I'm no expert at the teething thing, but he is awfully fussy...and has started drooling like there's no tomorrow. He's not feverish, but has had some horrible diapers (which, could be a result of some bad kefir/yogurt drink we fed him a couple days ago - don't ask). I can't feel any new teeth in there...but I'm sure it can take a while for them to come through...right? Hmmm
- To answer Jane's question about working & child care. We do both work. I have a ton of leave saved up...Nathan does not have as much, so he is going back to work a week or so after we return home. I have up until the first part of October to take, if I need it. Fortunately, Little I was accepted into the UA Children's Program (thanks to being on the waiting list a year before we even knew he was to be ours!). Also fortunately, the daycare center is actually just down the hall from my office. So I can check on him periodically - at lunch, etc. - and if I'm needed, I'm 30 seconds away. About the attachment issue. We will be working with an attachment specialist, at our International Adoption Clinic. She will evaluate him periodically and help us with any problems/issues we may have, as well as the transition into daycare. We are hoping (& praying!) that, in a little more than 2 months, Iliya will have it that we are his primary caregivers. The director & teachers in the Children's Program are excellent, and all have degrees in child development - so they are no strangers to attachment. We will all just work together to make sure the transition goes well, and if we have to do special things to help Iliya remain securely attached to us, then we will do it. They are very good with working with parents...and children are the #1 priority there, so we are feeling really confident about the transition. Hope that answered your question! (and if nothing else, it gave you something else to be praying about!! :)
Okay...I just wanted to go ahead & post this afternoon, while I had a little time. Just for the record, at midnight, tonight (approximately 8:00 a.m. on Monday, for you)...Little I will be 100% legally ours. Since the 10 day bonding period is mandatory before the court decision is signed, then the court decision will be effective on July 31. It will be Happy Bridges Day to Little I!
Love to you all!
Just as I'm starting floor duty in the morning...he will be yours! I'll say a little prayer of thanks for Little I then!
It's been a few years since I've been through the teething thing...but that's what it sounds like to me...the teeth may not be quite ready to pop out yet...I don't know the popular thing to use for teething...I'm sure some of the newer moms can help out with that...
I lean toward the teething. All the classic signs. If he runs a fever AND starts pulling at his ears... then you might want to get him checked for an ear issue BEFORE you fly!
As for the diapers... that may be from his little system getting used to new food. And his desire to eat till he is past full.
And... welcome to the world of a toddler.... one day they will eat a ton of "it". The next day they won't touch it or anything else. And at around 24 months +/- they slow down on their eating, so the doctors typically say that if they are eating a balance diet through the period of a week, then that is fine. One day it will be all PB&J.... the next day it is all chicken. The next day could be pasta. It gets easier when they can express the preference of the day.
Praise God for the bonding over the last 10 days. Soon and very soon!
Love you three!
Tatya Sis