As our tenth & final day draws to a close, I want to take a moment to tell you all how much I appreciate you. Without your support and prayers, I honestly believe that we would not be in Russia right now, listening to the newest member of our family sleep.
Almost 9 years ago, Nathan & I were married…we knew we wanted to start a family very quickly. Neither of us was finished with school yet (though Nathan had only a semester left) but that didn’t really stop our desire to have a little one running around with us. The months passed, and we had no baby to show for it. The years passed, and still, no baby. We prayed…and we prayed. We listened to people ask us when we thought we would start trying to have a baby, and we would nonchalantly say something like, “when we’re ready.” Then I would go home and cry in my husband’s arms. We couldn’t figure out why we were not meant to have a child. We went through the ordeal of infertility testing and some treatment. I got to be on a first-name-basis with the ladies at the bloodwork lab…and still, nothing.
Though we didn’t go through nearly as much as other people choose to do, we finally had enough. We didn’t want to remain a walking science experiment, and decided that we just really didn’t care how we became parents, but THAT we became parents. Releasing the dream of having a biological child took a little longer for me than it did for Nathan. Somehow, I felt like I had failed…the doctors couldn’t figure out the problem, but you know what the defining moment was for me? We were sitting in our doctor’s office, after another failed cycle and a surgery, discussing our options. In closing, he said, “even if we don’t figure this out, we’ll keep trying. You’ve got great odds. In fact, I’d go to ‘Vegas on your odds.”
I decided, in that moment, that I didn’t want “odds” anymore. I wanted a child. If that child came from my body, then wonderful. If the child came from somewhere else and was given to us to be our own, then even more of a blessing!
And here we are. A year and a half after that last doctor’s visit. Listening (yes, listening – he is pretty congested) to our sweet child sleep. We have been so blessed – in so many ways – in this journey. If we didn’t know we were loved before, we know it now. You all have been so kind, understanding, prayerful, and just all around wonderful. This journey has been filled with good times & not so good times. This blog is full of rejoicing…and…complaining, but it’s been a great outlet for me, and I’m so humbled that so many have had such a prayerful interest in our adoption process.
But back to those years of infertility struggles. When we prayed for a child…we are positive that our prayers were heard. The answer was just “not right now.” There was a specific plan for us – and though we didn’t know it, those years of childlessness were great years for us to really get to know one another and mature together. Some one told us, before we were married, that (at 19 & 21) we were totally different people than we would be in 5 or even 10 years. We didn’t really believe it…but amazingly, it was the truth. We had time – that we didn’t know we needed – to mature and grow (both individually and together) before we had a child. We are not perfected – we will never be, because we will keep growing – but we are more ready than ever to be parents.
Parents to such a sweet and special child. A child that, as of midnight tonight, is
ours. Forever and always.
Thank you for sharing your blog it really touched my heart! I'm so excited to be getting the final paperwork together for my application. I'll be quite a ways behind the three of you, but I'm so blessed to have shared in your journey. Thank you so much for sharing. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you journey home. Iliya is just beautiful. Congrats on your forever family!
MandyJo
I'm sooo happy for you two. It melts my heart to know that your time has finally come. Congrats congrats congrats!!! I hope you continue to blog so we can keep up with I's progress and development. I'm looking forward to having my own! You've talked me into starting a blog! I've linked yours to mine so I can keep up with your progress. Again, congrats on becoming a family of 3. Jane
Love and blessings,
Pam Parker
To comment on a previous post about the transitioning to home via the airport arrival –- that in conjunction with the medical challenge M has mentioned in becoming a parent –- I want to share these thoughts...I can only begin to share with everyone the happiness that I have inside about their “journey to & arrival at parenthood”. As a mother of 4 wonderful children (Melissa being the oldest), I can only imagine the disappointment that they’ve experienced over the past few years in wanting so much to have a child. I have been so sad many times as she shared about what they were going through. Without going in to detail about why I have felt such sadness & the many tears I’ve shed, I will say that when I (we) see those 2 precious souls carrying their child though the gates at the airport, I will only have a feeling of pure joy!!! and Thankfulness!!! (and as my family knows me, I will definitely have tears then, too :o) They were a family when they left for Russia as husband & wife, and now they have received their wonderful blessing to add to their family. In time, as God allows, we will have the opportunity to shower love on our grandchild...until then, we will ask His continued blessings upon them as they travel & make their transition back home.
We, too, want to thank all of the family for their support in helping them achieve their dream and to thank you all for your patience as they arrive home. The workshop we were fortunate to attend last fall in Birmingham, prepared us in many ways in becoming grandparents through international adoption. I HIGHLY recommend it to parents & grandparents (& other family & friends, as well) – it was a wonderful way to learn so much from professionals that have first-hand experience (all 3, a pediatrician, a social worker & a developmental specialist, adopted 2 children each, internationally).
We are so excited about their homecoming & look forward to seeing you all there as we welcome them home...
much love & hugs,
mom / Lin (mamalin & gramps)
(Pam, surely we’ll be visiting Payne’s at sometime when Iliya comes to visit – they don’t have yogurt, but some yummy ice cream should work :o) We’ll be in touch...)
This last post brought back so many memories - when in 2004, after our first IVF I realized that I just wanted to be a mom... and I trusted God with this dream.
A year later, our son was placed in my arms, and my dreams came true wrapped up in that little man. Parenthood has been (and I'm sure will continue to be!) the hardest, most interesting, best loved job I've ever had.
Enjoy your son. Enjoy your time as a family. Cherish each day.
Safe travels and God bless.
Love, Bethney
Chandra