We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Thursday, August 14, 2008
A New Bracelet
BOY, I wish I'd had my camera handy during supper last night.

Last Saturday, Iliya and I went to the local Farmer's Market to support our local farmers by purchasing veggies for this week's meals. The purchase included squash, zucchini, onions, garlic, purple hull peas, lima beans, sweet potatoes, and quite a few other things...all for less than $30.

I suspect that Iliya is going through a growth spurt, because he's just not been eating great, lately. He's been playing with his food more than actually eating it...so really, it could be a growth spurt or just some random lack of appetite. Who knows? We do have the 'if you don't eat it, you don't get anything else later' rule...but it hasn't seemed to phase him as of late.

ANYWAY, last night, I sauteed some of the fresh zucchini, yellow squash, onions, & garlic together as a side dish for our grilled chicken. It was delicious (if I must say so myself!). And Iliya nibbled at his food before deciding it was more fun to move it around on his plate. It wasn't too long before he abandoned the use of his utensils and decided he wanted to squeeze a slice of yellow squash (cut in circles) to watch the water drip out of it.

That kind of thing drives me nuts, but I don't see a lot of harm in it...except that I don't want him transferring behaviors like that from home to public. But last night, as long as the food stayed on his plate, I didn't have the energy to fight that battle.  As Nathan and I talked and ate, Iliya more-or-less pushed his food around his plate and with fascination, squeezed his squash.  All the sudden, we were interrupted by, "Watch, mama!  See?!"

And he had successfully squeezed the middle out of this particularly large disk of squash and placed the remaining "rind" on his wrist like a bracelet.  What an imaginative child!  Of course, we had to tell him that squash was really for eating and not so much for wearing.  But it was all we could do to keep a straight face - and hide the smiles that this moment brought to our faces.

Anyway, I guess that was a silly story to tell.  But Iliya is really at the age where everything is a new & awesome discovery.  It's a really cool - even if frequently  frustrating - age for us to parent.  As proud as I ever was, of all the children I've ever taught in daycare, nothing compares to the pride I feel in my own child, when he does even the simplest thing.

I realize I haven't posted pictures of Iliya in a while.  I've updated a few on my photo site, if you want to check them out!  I also have a video that - if I can muster the time & energy  to put together - I think you all will enjoy.  So...be on the lookout for that, oh...in the next couple weeks or so. ;)

3 Comments:
Blogger Jennefer said...
It is hard to get good candid shots of kids. Nice shots.

Blogger Carey and Norman said...
I enjoyed the squash post. Too cute.

Thanks for your attachment posts. I enjoyed reading them. I agree that there are differences in typical toddler behavior and attachment, but I also know that we might tend to overevaluate our children's behaviors. I know we still have a ways to go, but I think each set of parents can determine where they stand with attachment. We do feel that our daughter loves us, but we know being older that she wants attention and affection from all adults. This is hard as our family and friends understand, but the general public not so much. And, it is hard to explain to a stranger why they can't help your child or befriend your child.

Thanks for sharing some of your ideas and thoughts on the topic. It has definitely been a huge blog topic lately!

Blogger LisAnnT said...
Oh, how precious! You should treasure such moments, and I'm so glad you're keeping them on your blog.

I hope you've got a good archive of this site.

Miss ya!
---Lisa