We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Update on Attachment: Part 1
When I was a little girl, my friend, Allison, and I always marveled about how our mothers just knew certain things. Whether it was having similar rules...or just saying similar things...Allison and I always joked that our mothers must have gone to the same "mother school." Actually, as we got older, this was a running joke among several of my friends. They either went to the same mother school, or they had secret mother meetings-of-the-minds. I'm still not sure which it was. But it always seemed to us that (whether or not they really were!) they were on the same page about stuff...and they all used those ever-popular "mom" phrases.  You know, the ones that you just start using when you become a mom.  Interesting how that happens.

Now that I am a mother...I can just see that our mothers probably just had similar values, etc., and it came out when they were mothering us.

Where am I going with this?

Oh yes. Lest I get sidetracked, let me move on.

As an adoptive mother, I find that my mind often runs along the same lines as other adoptive mothers...and maybe that IS because we sort of went to a similar "mother school." We went to trainings and read books and...well, you name it, we did it (and still do!), as we became mothers. I know, the majority of mothers do read books and all, but for most adoptive mothers, this is a requirement of our agencies, as well as something we just feel the need to do. Why? As a part of becoming mothers to post-institutionalized (PI) children, we set out with the understanding that we may potentially face issues that are often more rare when people have biological children.

Now, I'm not saying all that to segregate adoptive mothers from biological mothers.

Really, what I'm getting at (if you can figure it out without me telling, then you are a step ahead of me, even!)...is that - while adoptive parents often experience many of the same things that biological parents do - adoptive parents are often have fairly adoption-unique things they fret over, wonder about, and do.

A most interesting happens to me - on a fairly regular basis. I begin formulating a post in my head, and then another (if not several other!) adoptive parents beat me to posting about the very topic. I guess it's a case of the "mother school" kicking in...or maybe we're just all at a point of experiencing.

Just a week ago, I began thinking about posting on update on attachment...and before I could get the words typed on my computer, both Elle and Susan wrote thought provoking posts on attachment and the internationally adopted child. It's also interesting that Elle has been home 2 years, we have been home 1 year, and Susan has been home several months. So we're all at different points...yet our posts all have similar themes.

And it is here that I will have to
 say "to be continued." I don't want you to get so entrenched in my setup that the whole point of this post is lost. So I will leave you with a picture of my precious child...and ask you to stay tuned tomorrow, when I give you more of the actual update on attachment!


6 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Melissa - I have recently come upon your blog and enjoy reading. I'm not typically a person to respond to blogs, but I found it interesting that I had read another blog today about attachment, or the lack thereof, and I don't thing reading yours was coincidental. Here it the link for the other blog. http://our-journey-to-parenthood.blogspot.com/
I don't know this mother either, but please know that while reading your blogs I pray for your families. I am not an adoptive mother but do enjoy reading about the process as many of my friends have adoptive children.

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
I'll be waiiiiitttttiiinnnnggggg... as this topic is very near and dear to my heart right now!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I am smiling because I was about to write a post about attachment...oh we're nuts.

Blogger Shane & Marie said...
I would have to agree with you. It's an instant connection and bond that us adoptive parents have in common.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I love that picture of Iliya. He is gorgous! I'll be keeping you all in my prayers. You & Nathan are doing a great job!

~Beth Housley (Brooks' sister!)

Blogger adoptedthree said...
As a three time adoptive parent under two I have NEVER focused on attachment. It is so much rarer for a child NOT to attach then attach. I truly think too many parents look too hard into it. I have a child with a least some RAD but he has other issues as well. It is very different then a child coping normally. I WISH I could show other parents the difference. It is not simple to see unless you know the big picture. Attachment disorder is easy to spot now but we could not have even changed it then. It was part of his whole package and all of the love in the world could not change his beginning months.