What an adventurous year.
One year ago, more than halfway across the world, Nathan and I walked into a courtroom as two ordinary people with ordinary lives...and walked out as parents of one of the most precious boys in the entire world. Our lives were changed forever, with one word of congratulations from the judge. While we had an inkling of the change to come...we really had no idea what life had in store for us.
That night, one year ago, I lay Iliya down to sleep for the first time.
And as I rocked Iliya before bedtime tonight, I reflected upon all the changes our life has undergone in the past year. I thought about all the times we have had - happy, trying, stressful, wonderful, sad, absolutely fantastic. There is no adequate way to describe this past year.
But...when she commented on my post a year ago, my mom reminded me of some lyrics that seemed to perfectly describe the moment we were in. I thought I understood the poignancy of those lyrics then, but it seems that - looking back over the past year - I'm only beginning to realize how perfect these lyrics
really are.
So I wanted to share a short compilation of highlights from the past year with you. To tie it all together, I've used the song my mom referred to in her comment. I hope you enjoy. I don't know if you will have tears. But...I did.
Beginnings. What a blessing.
Joy
Congratulations on one year as a family!
Hugs and kisses!
Love, NANA & PAPA
I know God loves me because I can see what beutiful blessings I have.
Ronda
Love,
Andrea
"I turned on the evening news
Saw a old man being interviewed
Turning a hundred and two today
Asked him what's the secret to life
He looked up from his old pipe
Laughed and said "All I can say is.".....
Don't blink
Just like that you're six years old and you take a nap and you
Wake up and you're twenty-five and your high school sweetheart becomes your wife
Don't blink
You just might miss your babies growing like mine did
Turning into moms and dads...."
Last summer when this song came out, Sarah was back at home for a short while (& being the Kenny Chesney fan she is), she wanted me to listen to what was his new hit song & said she thought of us because you & Nathan were "turning into a mom & dad" at that very moment in time & what a wonderful moment is was & still is! (needless to say, she & I both cried while we watched his video & thinking about how your lives were changing :o). I thought of the lyrics to this song when I read your post & looked up to see Iliya's "July" picture on the 2008 calendar that Tessa & Johnathan made as gifts for all of us & it's titled "Don't Blink".
You realize how quickly time passes when you chronicle a year or watch a video made 21 years ago when I was the age you are now (thanks Sis!) -- even tho' we talk about how life changes, the video reminder gives us a visual perspective...and the video you so artfully pieced reminds me of a quilt -- each picture is a remnant from a beautiful moment in time and it's pieced together showing the love in Iliya's forever family :o)
Much love,
mom & dad (granmom & grandad)
Love,
Sal
PS- On a much lighter, and more playful note, Mom-- I think you should include WCC somewhere in your above story...
...I'm pulling for you, WCC. :)
Blessings,
Pam Parker
Once again I have balled my eyes out. I watched it twice and still cried the second time through. You have definitely come a very long way in one year, and I'm so happy for you and Nathan. Iliya is truly a precious little boy and completely created for you and Nathan. It has been a blessing to watch him grow and to be a part of your "journey". It makes me see in yet another way what a great and awesome God we serve. Congratulations on the progress you've made and the family you were always meant to be.
Love Always,
Cindi "Nini" L
God's Blessings,
Shane, Kathy, and Trey
What program did you use to put that together?