We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Help Needed *edited*
If you get a chance, please make your way over to Jane's Blog...she has information about a little boy whose adoption has disrupted, and who needs his forever family.
----------------------------------------
I am editing to add a comment from Maggie, who is the parent to a little boy who has experienced disruption in his past. Just to make sure that people are aware. If you have questions about disruption or the issues that can come along with it, please go read Maggie's blog. She's got a ton of great posts/info on the subject.

This posting scares me. Spreading the word across the internet is an effective way to get the word out, but it's important not only that this boy finds a family... he needs the RIGHT family.

Feeling sorry that he went through a disruption is not enough. Having a lot of love in your heart is not enough. If this boy is placed into another home hastily and it is not the right placement for him, it will only do him more harm.

There are a few agencies (one in particular) that specialize in disruptions and their handling of them is anything but reputable. I hope to goodness this isn't through the agency I'm thinking of.

As you know, my Slugger went through a disruption. It wreaks havoc on a child's psyche. Any family that adopts this child from disruption needs to have acceptance for his attachment issues (I assume he has/will have some), they need to have ridiculous amounts of patience, they need to prepare for testing like they never imagined, and they need to be willing to go to incredible lengths to help their child.

Obviously, not every child that goes through a disruption has issues like my Slugger does. But there is a high likelihood of it.

This email/internet word-spreading raises a big, red flag and I'm worried that whoever is searching for a home for this boy is searching for just that... a home. He needs the RIGHT home.


3 Comments:
Blogger Jane said...
THANK YOU Melissa...we never know who reads our blogs, his forever family may be one of your readers. .

and the prayers of many!

Blogger Maggie said...
This posting scares me. Spreading the word across the internet is an effective way to get the word out, but it's important not only that this boy finds a family... he needs the RIGHT family.

Feeling sorry that he went through a disruption is not enough. Having a lot of love in your heart is not enough. If this boy is placed into another home hastily and it is not the right placement for him, it will only do him more harm.

There are a few agencies (one in particular) that specialize in disruptions and their handling of them is anything but reputable. I hope to goodness this isn't through the agency I'm thinking of.

As you know, my Slugger went through a disruption. It wreaks havoc on a child's psyche. Any family that adopts this child from disruption needs to have acceptance for his attachment issues (I assume he has/will have some), they need to have ridiculous amounts of patience, they need to prepare for testing like they never imagined, and they need to be willing to go to incredible lengths to help their child.

Obviously, not every child that goes through a disruption has issues like my Slugger does. But there is a high likelihood of it.

This email/internet word-spreading raises a big, red flag and I'm worried that whoever is searching for a home for this boy is searching for just that... a home. He needs the RIGHT home.

Blogger Melissa said...
You're absolutely right, Maggie. I'm going to leave the post for now, but put a note in the body to read your comment (I wish I could link directly to the comment). IF this is a case of an agency handling a disruption in a negative way, people need to know that this kind of thing is out there. They also need to understand what is needed in order to successfully parent a child with the issues that often come along with a child from disruption. And I hope that anyone who seriously thinks about it will look at your blog & the way that you have handled so many situations, and do some serious soul-searching.

Anyway, thanks for the red flag. Prayers are huge & important...but so is knowledge. I would love to know that this little boy finds the right home...but I would also hate to know that I might have contributed to him finding the wrong home, thereby exacerbating his issues.

Thanks again.