We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Thursday, August 07, 2008
A Guest Post
Someday, I plan to get back to writing posts that have some substance (or at least some useful information) to them. I feel this need to keep you - my loyal readers - hooked into reading my blog, but for now, I (for the first time in my 2+ years of blogging) have recruited a guest poster to tell you about our day yesterday.

I figured that the first time I wrote a post about a trip to the ER, it would be about taking Iliya to the ER. Fortunately, it was not; however, Nathan & I did go to the ER yesterday. And now, I will turn the floor over to Nathan & let him tell you all about the experience:

I had a scary morning yesterday. I got up and went to the gym like normal and when I was getting ready for work my left ear felt stopped up. After I got my clothes on I started getting light-headed and after a few minutes this spiraled into full vertigo. It’s like I was on a fair ride and the whole world was spinning. I also had a slight ringing in my left ear.

I realized pretty quickly that I wasn’t going to make it to work and at about 7:20 or so Melissa loaded me and Iliya up in the car. We took Iliya to school and then went over to the ER. By this time I had already gotten sick once and lost my breakfast and was so dizzy I could barely talk right. They got me checked in pretty quick and the doctor gave me medicine for the dizziness (which worked very quickly) and a steroid and something for nausea through an IV. As quickly as it came on it left after I got the medicine. He gave me a prescription for the dizzy drug, a steroid and the nausea medicine. He also referred me to an ENT doctor and I have an appointment on Wednesday. Not sure what the cause is at this point, but they did a CT scan and everything looked normal.

Luckily this happened at a good time when not many people were in the ER and when Melissa was there to help me. I’ll keep everyone updated if they find anything but more than likely it’s going to be either unexplained or relate to an ear infection.

A big thank you and I love you to my special girl, Melissa for taking care of me yesterday and to Iliya for putting up with me when I was acting funny.

What a day! I'm glad to report that Nathan is feeling much better today...he was a bit "out of it" for most of the day, yesterday. But evidently, his meds really helped, because he woke up this morning, saying that he slept like a ROCK last night. I do have to report that Iliya really was precious, he was so concerned about daddy having a boo-boo.

And as a very quick sidenote...Iliya used the potty yesterday evening! Right after his bath, he went to sit on the potty. He sat & sat & sat & sat....looked at a book.....& sat & sat & sat & sat. Finally he said he was all done & ready to put on his PJ's. We figured it was like any other night, where the potty would be bone-dry. But when Nathan & I looked in the little potty, there it was! Took us a couple seconds to discern whether it was wetness from the parts of Iliya that hadn't yet seen a towel or if it was actually a product of his bladder.

Upon closer inspection, we realized it was yellow (don't you just LOVE this?!) and we celebrated our first "tee-tee in the potty" moment with a dance (Iliya & I danced, since Nathan was feeling a little unstable, still) and a sticker. As I've mentioned before, we're not rushing along potty training, but I sure am glad that he's doing a little more than talking about it, now!

So as you can see...what a DAY we had!
9 Comments:
Blogger Jennifer said...
I am glad he is ok! I have tried to not think about the ER, but I am sure I will have to take Kev before Drew.

Blogger Maggie said...
Wow. I hope Nathan continues to feel better. I used to have major problems with my ears when I was a teenager and I know how miserable it can be.

Congrats to Iliya! That's a major milestone.

Blogger Susan said...
Poor Nathan, I've had trouble with my right ear for years, seen specialists, etc and they can't come up with anything better than, "it must be allergies".

Congrats to Iliya and isn't parenthood wonderful that you can get down on your hands and knees to decipher if it's bath water in the potty or pee. Gotta love it!

Blogger Allison said...
I hope Nathan is feeling better now. He must feel awful.
But a big congrats to Iliya!!! That is so exciting!

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
Goodness! What a scare! I'm so glad he is okay. Congrats to Iliya!

Wow! I hope that Nathan's dizziness does not continue. What an ordeal! I'm so glad that he is feeling better, though. We'll look forward to future posts on this subject.

Also, Congrats to Iliya on a big day on the potty! Yeah!

Blogger Carey and Norman said...
Glad Nathan is feeling better. I can't imagine how sick you must have felt. Just glad they make medicine that can make you feel better so quickly.

Congrats on Iliya using the potty!

That sounds scary, especially since you have no idea what caused it. I'm glad Nathan is doing better! Congrats to Iliya on his success in the potty!! :)

Blogger Deb said...
So glad Nathan is feeling better. I hope it was just a one time episode.
Congratz to Iliya for using the potty on his own. Way to go big guy!