We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Friday, July 25, 2008
Babysitting by Uncle C
A little more than a week ago, my brother called to see if he could come to town and keep Iliya today while I worked. I didn't have a problem with it...but as we found out through conversation last night, Christopher had never so much as much as change a diaper before.

Since Iliya uses diapers, rather than the toilet (and also tends to be somewhat regular) I was a bit concerned, but probably not as concerned as Christopher.

Fortunately, my sister was in town this morning...on her way to a wedding this weekend...and after Nathan & I both left for work today, she gave Christopher a crash course in Diapering 101.

Around 10:00, I received a text message from Christopher stating that he had successfully navigated his way through changing his first-ever poopy diaper. About 10 minutes later, I received a phone call...Iliya had pooped again, and Christopher was concerned. I think it was a matter of having changed him a little too soon the first time.

Boy, do I wish I could have been a fly on the wall today!

But I am happy to report that when I got home this afternoon, all was well. Everyone was alive, safe, and most of all.......clean.
8 Comments:
Blogger Pink said...
That is a cute story! Some men have no clue, but I give him credit for having a willing heart! And I am sure that your son LOVED having Uncle Chris around.

I have been following your blog for sometime now, I found it through a friends blog...your family is precious.

Blogger Jennifer said...
that is hilarious! I can just picture him trying to change that diaper! Glad to know he now has practice.

Blogger Jane said...
What a WONDERFUL uncle...I know dad's that won't tackle even wet diapers!

Blogger Unknown said...
I actually laughed out loud! Kudos to Christopher...Patrick couldn't be FORCED to do it until he had his own and I basically made him learn for emergency purposes (like when I'm not around).

Blogger Deb said...
How funny! He'll likely never forget his first diaper change experience.

Blogger Nathan said...
Maybe the Boy Scouts could benefit from creating a merit badge for just such an occasion. That might help to train some of us men in what we apparently seem to be lacking in.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Whale, whale, whale... you city folx sure do miss sum things when teeching yors kids the weighs of the wurld.

I, Billy T. Parnell, Sr., Esq., has knowed how to change dipers sins i wus 'bout 4. (Mom an'nem had 'bout 50 kids she kept at Jesus' Babies Day Care and Discount Tobacco Outlet they had in the other haf of the doublewide. All 9 of us Parnell kidz had to lern early how to help out with the young'uns. (I know, you say there's 9 and most think there were only 8 of us, but that's before we lost little Roy in the card game)) Wellz, as I was talkin', we'd jus tek them little babies down to the crieck (somes of yous call it a stream), and let natures own goodness wash them diapers out (we used reusable). After that, a little runnin' around would dri 'em out jus rite.

Sumthymes you people try to's find the plum hardist ways to do things. (after you're dun regayling yourselves with tells of Iliya, hed on over to www.tokahtptbnotbtpse.org which stands for "tips on kids and how to parent them by none other than billy t. parnell, Sr., esq". And yeah, we had to chaynge from .com to .org. Michel Isner deesided he wanted to name diznee's next movee tokahtptbnotbtpse, and I got a pretty pennie for movin' my page)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Am I the only stupid one that tried to go to "www.tokahtptbnotbtpse.org"? Wow. I've been had.

Cute post, Melissa. I would love to have been a fly on the wall.

~Sarah