We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Thursday, February 07, 2008
A Trip to the Zoo
I've been wanting to get around to posting about our first trip to the zoo...but wouldn't you know, I had to get a video together before I could post about it!

My mom does our taxes every year, and since we desperately need our refund - to pay a portion of an adoption loan - we decided to get everything to her quickly, so we could get that refund ASAP. So our plan for this past weekend was to gather our tax "stuff" and meet my parents at a mall in Birmingham, to pass everything along.

Late last week, I read that the weekend weather was going to be nice, and we certainly didn't want to be cooped up in a mall...so we decided to take the opportunity to visit the Birmingham Zoo on Saturday.

I'll be honest when I say that a zoo is not among my most favorite places to be...mainly because I love animals and it makes me sad to see wild animals caged. There, I said it. I'm no extremist animal-rights person, but I like the idea of animals living in their natural environment. Even if all they do is lay around for 20 hours a day...I like for them to be able to lay around in the wild and have options if they so choose to deviate from the norm and do something other than lay around.
Having said that, it was a place to be outside, and an opportunity for Iliya to see a lot of the animals that he loves looking at in books (afterall, while an African safari sounds awesome, it probably won't happen in our lifetime...so the next best thing is a zoo).

My brother also came over from Montgomery to join us, and we did have a great time. I thought Iliya might be able to go with a later-than-usual nap, but by lunchtime, he was fading FAST. We saw all the exhibits, except the petting zoo (which I think he would've enjoyed most of all) and we kept missing the train. So instead of trying to finish hitting everything, we decided to grab lunch and head back home.

Iliya was pretty over-stimulated & ended up staying awake for all (45 minutes) but the last 3 minutes of our drive home. I was able to get him out of the car and into his bed - without so much as a peep - for an hour & a half nap...

Whew!

And here is a video to give you a quick rundown of our day. Enjoy!!




And of course...THE LINK.
8 Comments:
Blogger Maggie said...
Looks like fun! Slugger is itching to go to the zoo in our state, too. But we have to wait for spring.

That song couldn't be more perfect. I love how Iilya was pacing with the tiger. It's like he wanted to chase him down so they could have a little chat but that tiger didn't have very nice manners. Poor Iilya. I'd stop and talk to him anytime. I love zoos. I guess I never think too much about how it is for them. Dan gets embarassed though because I get way too inspired and excited and sometimes make a little scene. He is too uptight sometimes anyway. I'm good for him. It would be so nice to be able to go anywhere outdoors right now without my snot freezing. We have had days of 20 below and I'm pretty darn tired of it. To top it all off, Dan is in Houston for the week with work and my parents are in Hawaii. I'm in a 2000 sq. ft. house 24 hours a day with three kids hoping the pipes don't freeze. What is wrong with this picture. Actually, I was just thanking God this morning for this house and a warm place for all of us to be. Sure beats the alternative. Also, if you are ever in the neighborhood and DON'T come over for crepes, I'll be very offended!

I LOVE your videos!! I can't wait to take Owen to the zoo when it warms up here. Looks like Iliya loved it! It's so nice your family is closeby to go with you and experience these times with Iliya. Looks like everyone had fun. Aren't the giraffes beautiful? :)

Blogger Robin said...
Great Video!!!!

Blogger Carey and Norman said...
I agree with Adrienne that your videos are great. Hmm....maybe there is money in blog videos? You could definitely open a business. Iliya is adorable as always. I loved the photo holding the rabbit's hand and I was a little nervous about him following the tiger even though I knew there was glass in front of him!
Thanks again for sharing.

Blogger Joy said...
What a cool video!!
Joy

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
I need a video tutorial!!! That is just the cutest!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
That video and song were great!!!!! You have to teach me how to do that!