We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Saturday, August 04, 2007
End of the Day Report
Naptime brought a heavy downpour, and a pretty steady drizzle for about 2 hours. By 5:00, we were all about as bored as you can get.

my hoarder my hoarder my hoarder

eating snack


We needed to get out, and the rain seemed to have slacked up by that time, so we decided to try out the Mexican restaurant just down the street from here. We loaded the little one up, put his jacket on and headed out. By the time we made it downstairs, the drizzle had picked back up an we almost resigned ourselves to cheap room service. But we decided to wait the drizzle out – we figured that if Little I had a hood on, and we had the umbrella…a little wetness wouldn’t hurt anyone (we just couldn’t bear the thought of going back to the hotel room, and we thought that Little I would’ve agreed, had we asked him!).

Once the drizzle had slowed considerably (almost stopped) we headed out. The restaurant is only a 5 minute walk for us – and amazingly, we only had to get the umbrella out once!

Okay, if you ever end up staying at the Holiday Inn Sokolniki, I recommend this restaurant. It was surprisingly good! They had a Spanish/Russian/English menu – the pictures in the menu indicated that the food would be pretty similar to “American Mexican” food. There was one waitress who spoke enough English for us to get by. Nathan and I both got the beef burrito…and little one got a cheese quesadilla. There was no such thing as a refried bean…though our burritos both had kidney beans on them. It really was a very good meal!! And Little I really enjoyed his quesadilla!


Mexican dinner Mexican dinner Mexican dinner Mexican dinner Mexican dinner

After dinner, we decided to go back to Sokolniki Park. Since we’re not really sure what the rest of our time will be like, we didn’t want to miss out on it. So we headed back that way. It is HUGE. You can read up on it by clicking on my link in the previous post, but it is a really neat park. There were a lot of people out – singing, dancing, walking, talking. It doesn’t cost to get into the park (or it didn’t today), and you can purchase tickets to go on any of the rides. There are vendors selling food & drink every where. Oh yes, and birds. There are birds. Everywhere. Capitalizing on both the remains of leftover food and the food that is thrown to them by people who don’t mind being swarmed by 50 birds at once.

Here is a quick slideshow of some of the sights in the park.


And a few pics I thought should just stand alone.

Little I, fascinated with some of the rides:
Sokolniki Park

And here is Little I, having his first taste of popcorn (he loved it):
Sokolniki Park Sokolniki Park Sokolniki Park

Riding on dad’s shoulders…a much more comfy alternative (for child & parents) than riding on hips:
Sokolniki Park

That is it for today! Tomorrow, we will go to church here…I think it’s about an hour drive, and the service starts at 11:00. We’ve been told that it can go until 1:00 or 2:00, so I’m not sure how that will go, keeping Little I occupied/quiet. But it falls in his naptime, so we’re going to take some heavy snacks and hope he’ll take a nap at some point. That should keep him still! :) I will definitely let you know how it goes.

I think that’s it for now. I’m still a little jet-lagged, so I’m about to hit the hay.

Good night!
9 Comments:
Blogger Krista said...
I have just found your blog. My husband and I are awaiting our referral for a sibling group. Your family is beautiful! I was so excited to see that you are staying at the hotel we are thinking of using. Can you tell me how you booked your room with the adoption rate? When I contacted the 1-800 number they were of no help.
Congratulations!

Krista

Blogger Denise :o) said...
Wow! The city is so much prettier this time of year! I can't imagine being able to walk around in t-shirts and enjoying the beautiful sights. I kept telling David while we were there that I bet it's very pretty during the summer. There were fountains every where, but none of them were turned on. :o(

Little I is so, so adorable!!!

You're almost home!!!!

Blogger Jane said...
Should I ever have the pleasure of meeting you guys in person, you are gonna have to hold me back from those cheeks! I could just eat him up!

Can you believe that you are SOON going to be home!?! You get to AL on Tuesday afternoon? That is only 72-ish hours away!!! Like I needed to remind you guys. LOL.

It looks like Iliya had a great time at the park! And I loved the pictures of him waking up! They are so funny! You just have a few more days! I know you all are anxious to get home. I hope your last few days go well!

I look forward to hearing about the church experience. I told my husband (who is a Pastor and who loves to go to church wherever we are when out of town) that you all are going to church, and I think he will want to do the same thing. You'll have to let us know if you recommend it after your experience! Have a great Sunday! :)

Blogger Great Aunt Cheryl said...
Wow what fun! I bet Iliya just loved the park! What a great first family vacation...

We're so excited about Tuesday night!

And I got my quote wrong from the other post...

"The task ahead of us is not as great as the power behind us"

I think that is such an awesome quote...and when you're feeling down...just remember that!!!


LOVE Y'ALL!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hey guys! The countdown to "Operation Homecoming" is well underway in the "Heart of Dixie"!!! Much like Iliya, Alex has been having her very own melt down at the thought of not being able to come to the airport Tuesday night (due to it being a school night, Wesley's football practice and 1 1/2 hr. drive home). Aunt Babs (Nana) and I talked last night, and I think we may have worked out driving arrangements to where atleast Alex and I will be able to be there when you arrive home! YEAH!!! Alex is a much happier cousin now (I am too(0:)!!!

We are LOVING the pictures! He doesn't appear to be having any attachment issues with you nor Nate! That's GREAT! He's such a sweetie, and we are waiting on pin's and needles for his...I mean all of you to arrive home safe and sound!!! (((0:

Enjoy the rest of you stay and good luck with church! I'm sure he will do just fine, but just incase bring plenty of snacks, toys, and books! It's so sweet that his first trip to church will be in Russia. Can't wait to hear about it!

Love,
Andrea

Blogger Elle said...
I do hope you get this before tomorrow. I have no clue of what the time change is now that you are in Moscow. Anyway, if you are going to an Orthodox church be aware that there are no pews. You attend the service while standing the entire time. Just so you are aware. Dunno if it is Orthodox, but wanted to warn you. Have a great time. We saw a little prayer service in Khabarovsk and I was mesmerized by the music.

HI!

I loved the pictures of the park and of Iliya's wake cycle. Wow, I wish Owen had trouble waking up! He hears any sound and wakes up. :)

It's so wonderful that you are able to get out and about in the city while you're there. I'm anxious to see if you go to church, especially after reading Elle's comment!!!

Iliya is just too cute, and I thought the picture of him with Nathan in front of the fountain was adorable--he's smiling so big! Giving you a leaf was so great too! Can't wait to see him chasing pidgeons.

You are such a beautiful family!

Blogger kate said...
Love the pix! Glad the Mexican cafe was good. Mexican food in St. P is LOUSY! Cheese Whiz-y.