We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Thursday, February 15, 2007
On the Topic of JOY

Bear with me...this is going to be long. At times, you may be wondering where I am going with all this, but I promise you, I have a destination!!

--------------------------------------------------

I’ve been having a difficult time with this reaccreditation wait. And some of it is just because of other things going on – things that could be affected by the timing of our adoption, and vice versa. School, work, vehicle troubles, etc. You know, LIFE. And I do not deal with the “unknown” very well. If I have general ideas of how things are going to work out, then I am usually okay, but when I don’t, that is when I get antsy. I begin to worry and the worry causes me to stress…and the worry/stress combination leads to a kind of fear of the unknown.

I am a member of a Military Spouses message board – I have "virtually" known these girls for several years now, and have met several of them IRL. They are some of my best friends. We’ve been through a lot together, and we talk/post to each other on a regular basis – about military stuff and non-military stuff. Yesterday, it seemed that everyone had something(s) negative going on…or really, I guess we all just needed to unload. And one of my friends started a “why is life like this?” thread – to which we all posted our complaint for the day/week. (YES, I am going somewhere with this!!)

Basically, my post included the following things:

1. My schooling – and the time (what time?!) that will be required for me to write a thesis...in between work & adoption & everything else.

2. Nathan’s acceptance into a Master’s program in Criminal Justice @ Faulkner University (wonderful news!! It just happened at a crazy time!!)

3. The topic of how hard weight loss is for me

4. My beloved car of almost 6 years seems to be slowly dying of some disease that no one can diagnose.

5. The bit of negative equity we have in said car – which makes a trade-in impossible (or at the very least, unadvisable) at this moment in time

6. Money/Savings

7. Adoption/Reaccreditation woes

8. General military complaints

Unfortunately, I had the longest post and was in tears by the time I finished it. I really DISLIKE complaining. I 100% DISLIKE being a dramatic person. But I guess sometimes everything piles on at once and even my dislikes don’t keep me from complaining and blowing everything out of proportion.

--------------------------------------------------

So…where does the topic of “JOY” fit into all of this??

--------------------------------------------------

Well…I've begun going to our ladies' class at church on Wednesday nights, and we are doing a "combined" study on the book of Philippians and Charles Swindoll's book, Laugh Again. And the central theme to both of these is experiencing joy in everything. In happy times, it is SO easy to be joyful…but in those times that are STRESSFUL or not so happy, the joy is not as easily experienced (at least for me!)

Anyway, back to our study. Last night was the second class and I can't tell you how much I need this class.... We are talking about joy being a conscious decision, and how to let God take care of those things in life that cause us to worry, stress, and fear. Through the course of last night's session, we discussed the fact that WE hold the power to be joyful in everything. Joy is a choice – and if we have confidence that God will take care of us (even in those times that we think are not so great), then the choice is much easier to make!

I really hate to admit this, but I have let things pile up on me. I talk to Nathan about things that bother me, and that helps TREMENDOUSLY, but even he doesn't have all the answers! The bottom line is that I don’t think I have allowed myself to have enough confidence in God lately. It’s not that I don’t trust Him…but right now, it is so easy to want to control situations and fix everything myself……and when I come up short, I begin to worry. When the worrying begins, then all else seems to be lost.

I guess all of that is something we all need to hear - but I feel like this ladies' class is custom-designed with ME in mind. **I'm sure that's not by accident!** I went into the class last night feeling very cold and.......emotionally drained, for lack of better description. And I left with a little spark of happiness that has since ignited and I’m feeling myself being filled with more and more thankfulness and more and more joy.

And to be perfectly honest, Nathan and I truly have nothing to complain about. We really are so blessed. Yesterday, before class, my list of things seemed so BIG and important. I was feeling overwhelmed and unhappy with all the stress I was feeling.

But now, I look at this list and realize that it really is all inconsequential…and what am I doing??? I am complaining about things that either come from - or result in - GOOD!!

So instead of worrying…why don’t we all take time to turn things around? Let's look at our so-called problems, and see the GOOD in them. Here is my NEW list:

1. My Eduation: I have a wonderful job that has an education benefit. If not for this, I would not have been able to even pursue my Master’s degree! I still don’t know where I am going to find the time to write a thesis, but I have a great group of supporters who will HELP me!

2. Nathan’s acceptance into a Master’s program in Criminal Justice @ Faulkner University. WOW! How can I even complain about this?? It is something that he has wanted so much, and he is going to do GREAT!!!

3. Weight Loss: Thank God I have food to eat and a gym in which to exercise. Yes, weight loss is a struggle. But it could SO be the other way around, if I lived in another part of the world.

4. Car problems: Well, I’m still not sure about the car situation. Except that my car still runs – even though no one can figure out what is wrong with it, it still gets me to work & back home! Imagine how much longer my trip to work/home would be if I had to ride a bicycle?? (of course, if that were the case, then maybe #3 wouldn't be such a problem - oh well!)

5. Negative Equity: I am thankful that we have learned our lesson with the negative equity thing. We made one of those “young & stupid” mistakes when we were newly married and wanting another car. And I will tell you, we have learned from that mistake. I don't know what we'll do if our car really does have to "go"...but that's where the confidence in God comes in...right??

6. Money/Savings: I am thankful that we both have good enough jobs, and low enough bills that we can put money back every few weeks. And I have faith that we will continue to be able to save.

7. Adoption: Things are in the works with reaccreditation! Our baby is somewhere, waiting for us! God knows where he (or she?) is and when all of this will happen. If not for adoption, we may not have the opportunity to have children!

8. Military Complaints: Thank God for the military. They keep our country safe. Also, on a personal note, Nathan’s Drill check is an extra source of income for us. He also has an education benefit – which paid for any of his undergrad student loans and will allow for him to get his Master’s degree. **edited to add that I was talking to a friend at work, and she brought to my attention something ELSE to be thankful for: the military has facilitated MANY wonderful friendships - so if it weren't for the military, then Nathan & I might not know a lot of the great people we know!!! Thanks, Kel, for helping me see that! :)

See? Nothing is as bad as it seems on the surface. I really just need to sit back and put more effort in to being thankful. Don’t we all??

7 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm thankful for a friend like you to help me put my troubles in perspective with your wonderful post.

As one of the military friends who vented yesterday I can see with fresh eyes today what truly is a blessing in my life.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Melissa, leave it to you to put such a postive spin on things. What a great inspiration your bible study class was for me as well as you! And you are right, we are both really blessed and could stand to turn our gripes into praises.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Melissa, Great blog. I agree completly that we dont look for the good/joy in life as often as we look for problems or stress full things. I am going to try to do the same thing to my post in the "why is life like this?" thread and find all the joy that each of my complaints have somewhere inside.

I am glad that the ladies class at church has helped you in such a positive way. I am glad for friends like you.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Thanks for the post - and sharing -God is so good. If we will just lean on Him - He will take care of us. Reminds me of the children's song - I've got that Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy down in my heart to stay!

sis

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Amen!

A few quotes I keep posted at my desk:

"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be" ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look at the stars."~Henry Van Dyke

"Anticipate the good that you may enjoy it" ~ Ethiopian Proverb

"This is the beginning of a new day.
God has given me this day to use as I will.
I can waste it or use it for good.
What I do today is important -- because I'm exchanging a day of my life for it.
I want it to be gain, not loss; good, not evil; sucess, not failure;
in order that I shall not regret the price I paid for it." ~ Anonymous

...and 2 that you gave me many years ago....
"This isn't a desk, it's a landfill" ***with Garfield peering frustratingly from behind a mound of paperwork*** and
"Einstein's desk was this messy!" ***with Garfield looking smugly in front of a mound of paperwork***
--(& the price is marked thru' on the back and you wrote "don't look" :o) -- wish it had the dates that you gave them to me -- these make me smile b/c I think of you everytime they catch my eye :o)

Also, I keep this scripture on my desktop on my computer screen to remind me...

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy -- meditate on these things." ~ Philippians 4:8

love you Missa & Nathan ~ mom

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I could tell that you were hurting Wednesday night. I'm glad you're feeling better, though! We haven't really talked in a while, and honestly, I MISS IT! Sometimes we just have to pull ourselves out of these "funks", but I'm always here when you need to talk and share. This is a really good piece and some fabulous thoughts!! I'll try to remember it when I'm stressing about Patrick being on travel. Love you bunches! Kristy

Blogger Maggie said...
I know exactly what you mean. I get so wrapped up in my adoption process that I sometimes fail to see that I'm adopting a child! That's a wonderful thing! The process is so draining that sometimes the end result seems too far away to imagine.

I'm so not one to leave bible quotes. Admittedly, I barely know the bible. But I stumbled across this quote a while back and it really resonated with me: "God will let you laugh again; you'll raise the roof with shouts of joy."