We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Saturday, January 20, 2007
Adventures in the Library
I grew up going to the library on a regular basis. I'll tell you now, I am a reader - and even though it cost me some cool points in Junior High, I'm very glad that I didn't let peer pressure get me down back then.

Nancy Drew? Loved her. I read EVERY Nancy Drew book located in my elementary school library...when I zipped through all of those, I went through every one located in our smalltown public library. Ramona Quimby? Same thing. Over time, I've read different things and enjoyed most all of it.

I was the geek that did NOT get the Cliff's Notes in highschool. And Wuthering Heights is one of my alltime favorite books, right up there with A Tale of Two Cities. The ONLY book I did not read was The House of Seven Gables and it wasn't for trying. I bet if I went back and tried reading it, I'd like it, but for some reason Nathaniel Hawthorne wasn't my favorite author. Didn't care for The Scarlet Letter.....but I read it anyway.

I relished the idea of analyzing a book and writing term papers on it. I also was the kid that actually enjoyed diagramming sentences. Besides Music, English was MY course. I enjoyed it and don't ever remember dreading it (unless there was some highschool drama going on with girls in the class - *sigh*) Anyway, sometimes I think I missed my calling - I wonder if I would've enjoyed teaching English (but then I think of all the OTHER kids who had no passion for reading and I think that they might ruin it for me :)

SO - all that to say that that I am no stranger to the library.

But when I came to college, the internet was on the rise...and I mean quickly. I went from being introduced to email in my freshman year - and occasionally having to navigate through the BIG, intimidating library on campus - to now, proficiently emailing, googling, writing a blog and NEVER having to go to the library.

I still go to the public library -- you know, for the pleasure reading materials and all. But in my schooling (grad & undergrad), I have mostly dealt (and still deal) with research articles, etc. -- and for the most part, these can be found on library reserve.....on the internet. Sadly to say, it's been 10 years since I've had to rely on educational readings found in the the library.

Until this, my last class in my Master's program. I have to teach a class next week on Erik Erikson. But it can't be on what I actually know about the man and his theory. I have to find original books by him and actually teach from his work. This is not a bad thing! But it means I've had to brave the 5-floor (not including 2 basement levels & other "mid" levels) campus library to locate his books.

This was my task this morning.

And a task it was!!

I spent more time on the elevator than I ever could've wanted - stepping out, discerning that I was on the incorrect floor - getting back on a different elevator, standing there (not moving) until I read the directions that I have to enter a code and THEN hit the button. Went to different floors - back on the same elevator (I've got this "code thing" down pat by now!) - once I located the groups of books I was looking for I was fine. Yes, I know how to read the call-system - it was just locating the floor(s) these books were on that was the adventure (and if you have never been in a library this size, and this OLD, take it from me - it can be SCARY).

And then getting back to the main floor to checkout was the OTHER part of the craziness. I got back on said "code" elevator but after entering the correct code and pressing certain buttons (you know, like "1" to get back to the main floor) the elevator doors remained closed yet the elevator DID NOT MOVE. It finally dawned on me that I might be on the wrong elevator to get back to Floor One. I had to navitate through shelves of books to find the other elevator (that requires no code, for some reason) and then I was safely back on the first floor. Please do note that there ARE signs for elevators - so I wasn't as lost as I could've been. I have to give the library credit for trying as best as they can to keep me from hitting panic mode!

So I looked for the circulation desk - it used to be in one spot, but now it is not. So I went to the helpdesk (bless their souls for not laughing at me through this whole adventure). Ten years changes things. There is now a self-checkout thing - swipe your card, put your book under the little scanner thing, and voila! Book checked out!

Walmart does it! Why not the library?!?

My student/employee ID / library card wouldn't work - so back to the helpdesk I went. They sent me BACK up to the 2nd floor (thank goodness I'm a pro at finding my way around now!). The guy swiped my card and found that I have 8 - count'em! EIGHT - accounts in the library system! Who knows why? I don't. But he deleted all but one. So the self-checkout should work for me now.

I'll tell you, though, a plus for being an employee at the University is that I can checkout books for an entire semester! Thing is, I thought that's how long it was going to TAKE for me to find them in the first place!

And one last thought - on each floor I mishappened upon, I kept seeing the SAME guy. He was obviously skilled at what he was doing (I actually recognized him as a professor I'd had once up on a time, but he didn't recognize me). Me? I was wandering around, sorta in a daze. Therefore, I was a bit embarrassed, but I kept trying to look like I knew what I was doing.

I wonder if my efforts were believable.

And a note for the teachers of the world...PLEASE keep your kids having to go to the library! Navigating the internet is hip, easy & cool. Navigating the library is becoming a lost art - and we need to keep more respect for the written word than there is these days. So please don't let the current generation lose what I almost lost! One day, they may actually appreciate it.
1 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Bridget was telling us a/b this post Saturday night at Jake's party (which btw -- it's hard to believe that Jake is 17! and it had been 12 years to the date that Bridget was introduced to the family at Jake's 5th b/d party --- wow! how time passes quickly! and of course the little ones were delightful as always!) Anyway...I enjoyed reading a/b your day at the library and it brought back memories of how sometimes your discipline for doing or not doing something was not being allowed to read at night -- how many parents would like that opportunity, I wonder :o) And as Johnathan has been taking us down memory lane lately with old family videos, I realize how blessed we were/are to have 4 precious & wonderful children (and that's expanding as you all marry and even more as you wait for information about your child!) love you much!