...to our chocolate lab, Gracie.

(I know I still have to post about Bridges' family vacations...however, I'm feeling a little lazy about having to scan "old," non-digital pictures. I promise I will get around to it. Today I want to begin a series that focuses on our pets and how they came to be a part of our family.)
Anyway, Gracie was born on May 10, 2002, but we didn't know her then. At the time, Nathan was actually doing Homeland Defense in Tampa, FL. He was there - I was here - and we were in the process of moving away from N Alabama. We were moving into a new house and with Nathan gone much of the time, he decided to allow me a puppy for my birthday.
Since Maizy (our dog that had passed away the previous year) had been a lab, we knew we wanted a lab - and so we did a little research and found a pretty reputable breeder in this general area. So we made the drive to pick up our little chocolate furball - and we immediately fell in love with her! Here are a couple pictures from that first day (sorry for taking the lazy way out and taking a picture of a picture):


Mia & Gracie -- once upon a time, the same size!
So that was July 2002. Not terribly long after that, I decided to take an extended vacation to Tampa, but I could not take Grace with me. So my friend, Ginger, took Gracie & kept her for me. Gracie has always loved Ginger, and I think it goes back to those few weeks that they were able to bond. And I will be forEVER grateful and indebted to Ginger for "housebreaking" Gracie in that time.
Anyway, like I said, that was 2002, and we are now in 2007. Gracie will be 5 years old this May, and she is already getting gray in her face. We fondly call her "old graybeard" - but I don't think she takes offense to that. She's still very playful and one of the most well-behaved dogs you will ever meet! She's been through fun and exciting times, as well as deployments and lonely times.
I know that these posts may cause a heated debate (please, though, no debating!! :) on whether or not animals can actually be a part of the family - but Gracie got me through some very lonely parts of life - with only minimal chewing and very few accidents. However you feel about animals being a part of the family, I think if you met her, you'd think Gracie was an alright dog. :)
I think you are one of the only blogger pals who I do not have yoru email. If you a chance, click the link under our photo for my direct email. If you email me I will save it on my blogger pal list. Thanks
Love your pet pics.. we have a miniature schnauzer and yes, he is SO MUCH a part of the family.
You guys are in our prayers as you continue your journey.