
So Saturday was the
Iron Bowl and it was a fun day, despite our loss. First, a little background: My sister, Sarah, is a senior @ The University of Alabama, and this is her last year of football games as a UA student (or a UA undergrad student, anyway). She had decided that she wanted to tailgate at every home game this year, so we tried our hand at it for the first home game of the season and did fairly well, if I must say so myself! There were several things we learned (like, people REALLY go all-out with the decorating! our poor tent was just the saddest thing - but hey, we were out there, supporting our team!) After that game, things kept coming up, and we didn't tailgate again till this past Saturday -- which, incidentally, was the LAST game of the season!
If you don't live in the Southeast, you may not understand the Auburn/Alabama rivalry. But I will tell you, it is big. Someone (maybe Sarah?) told me that this rivalry goes down as the 3rd biggest rivalry in college football -- and has been voted the meanest and blood-thirstiest. Hmmm...not so sure that I like being part of something that is mean and blood-thirsty, but it is a fun weekend. I don't really like the talkin' smack -- I'm not a good smack-talker. But I do like to have fun, and fun we had!
Now, a little more background.......I grew up an Auburn fan. My dad is an Auburn fan, as are both of my brothers. When I was in highschool, I wore the Auburn getup and shouted "War Eagle." Sarah, on the other hand, joined my grandmother (Mamaw) in rooting for Alabama...in part, because they're both ornary and just wanted to be different. (just kidding, guys) Toward the end of my highschool career, I decided on a major that was offered only at the University of Alabama. Long story short, I received several scholarships and one of these scholarships was a
Million Dollar Band scholarship.
So my first semester of college, I was immersed in Crimson and White. I hung out with people who bled crimson and white...I learned the UA alma mater...played
The Fight Song on a daily basis (you know, at practice)...and once games rolled around, I actually learned the words to Yea Alabama. I think I was a goner before the semester even began.
I was drawn toward the light...
Of course, my dad thought I was drawn toward darkness....
And either way, I am now a 'Tide fan, through & through. Several years later, Sarah followed me and she is now getting ready to graduate from UA with her degree in education. One of my brothers (Christopher) is now here at
The Capstone working on his PhD. Of course, he remains faithful to his roots...I guess the Auburn way of life is more ingrained in him. Of course, he does have a degree from Auburn, so even though we joke about converting him, I just don't think it's gonna happen. Johnathan (the youngest brother) is still an Auburn fan, too. I doubt that we'll be changing him anytime soon, either.
At least my dad has the satisfaction that 2/4 of his children have stayed the straight & narrow.
He even forgave me for marrying into a die-hard Alabama family...of course, Nathan made the forgiveness easy, I think. He's just that kinda guy.... easy to like. In all seriousness, though, the subject of football is fun in our family...we joke about stuff like "A House Divided" but we're not REALLY serious about it. None of us are pain-in-the-rear fans, or at least try not to be, anyway. It's now become a fun family tradition for some of us to be in one camp and others in the other camp...it really is just fun!
So...........................enough background!
Saturday, we had a fun time, we even tried setting up our satellite for those of us who did not get tickets to the game. That worked really well, even though in the 3rd Quarter, the breaker on the powerstrip we ( and about 3 other groups) were plugged into began tripping. It was a major annoyance, since it takes a little while for the satellite to reboot - but despite that, we had a great time.
Christopher and I decided that watching the game on the Quad was much more fun and laidback than actually going to the stadium. We sat in comfy chairs, covered up with blankets when we got cold, ate "free" food whenever we wanted to...and didn't have beer or other alcohol spilled all over us (well, except for that ONE
Auburn Fan who came in our tent when something good happened for Auburn and jumped around, nearly spilling his beer on me. Nathan took care of him, and he was merrily on his way. He was so far gone that I don't know he even knew that he'd been kindly kicked out of our tent). And there are so many people out there, watching it in their tents, and a few visiting ours, that it was *almost* like being in the stadium...with the collective cheers & all. So it was fun. Even if Alabama lost. Ya know, I still think Shula is a fine coach.....so my vote is for him to stay another year.
Roll Tide Anyway!!
Here are some pictures from Saturday (click on pictures to make larger)...
Our tent:

Two signs that Sarah & I made. Imagine this! Our brothers wouldn't help us hang them!!


Me and Sarah:

Sarah and her friend making a sign to take into the game...

And Christopher, modeling his Converse tennis shoe for one of the pics. Notice the dress socks:

Me and Nat watching the Elephant Stomp (pep rally before the game)

Have you seen the emails about this guy?? He's for REAL! This was taken with my very own camera:

Me and Nathan under the tent:

Nathan did not like me taking this picture...but here he is, standing by the satellite he hooked up all by himself!!

Nathan & Nat on the steps of the library

The 3 of us:

And here's a picture of Christopher, me, Johnathan, Nathan, and Sarah. It's hard to see, b/c it was taken w/ a cell phone, but it's US, nonetheless!

So there's a recap of our day! Roll Tide Anyway!!!
Sis
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
EAGLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~cher