We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Wednesday, April 01, 2009
Random Bits
So I've had the best intention of coming up with a good post to share with you all...but these days, who has the time?  I haven't even visited my blog in several days...so I figured that without any new posts, there would be a loss of interest.  Ha!  April Fools on me!

Anyway, a few minutes ago, I decided to take a look at my stats...and I've had over 100 hits, today alone...and just as many yesterday...and the day before...and...yeah, you get the picture.  I realize that there are probably about 5 of you out there, checking in 20 times a day!  But even if that is the case...

I decided that, with that much traffic, I need to at least tell you that we are still alive and staying busy:

Work is as busy as ever.

Iliya is talking more than ever.

Our house still has not sold.

We are still strapped for cash (if you can help it, I do not recommend having a mortgage/rent at the same time; also, if anyone knows of a successful way to keep a child from going through shoes & clothes so quickly, please let me know! :)).

I am still in school.

I defend my thesis project next Monday. (!!!)

I am hoping that a successful defense will mean that I will have more time to devote to keeping you all informed of our life happenings...as well as more time to take some photographs!

Oh wait, though...you didn't come here to read about me!

Let's see...

Iliya....

...still asks "why?" 15-million times a day

...is enunciating his words very well, lately.  Still not perfect in even the majority of cases...but most people can understand him fairly well.  Every day brings a new success in the area of his enunciation/pronunciation of words.

...is now in a big boy BIG bed (as opposed to the big boy toddler bed)

...seems to (finally) have an interest in potty training.  Yesterday was successful...he had the same pullup on from the time he got dressed in the morning until he took a bath last night.  It's nearing underwear time...but I'm too chicken right now (pathetic, I know, and I am not even the one that does the laundry around here!)

...has really embraced, with a passion, his new responsibility of feeding Gracie.  I have GOT to capture this on video to share with you!  He's very slow deliberate & incredibly careful not to spill even one morsel of food.  Gracie is not so fond of the speed at which the food goes from food bucket to her bowl...but I imagine as time goes by, Iliya will become more adept at the whole process.  For now, it's a joy to watch!

...is one of the silliest human beings that I know.  Seriously. To be such a young child, he has the best sense of humor...and I love it!

--------------------------------------

I'm sure there is so much more that I could share tonight, but I must be going to bed.  I will leave you with one last (very quick) story.  After which, you should be able to tell me his favorite color.

Monday evening, we were at the shoe store, because - contrary to popular belief - we, in Alabama, do wear shoes.  And every pair of Iliya's shoes had been worn until they couldn't be worn any more.  Truly.  A few of them were simply too small for him, and his tennis shoes were literally falling apart (every time I looked at them, I felt myself losing votes for Mother of the Year award, but never could get the time to actually take him to buy shoes).  But I digress...

When we pulled up to the shoe store, Iliya saw a huge display of Cr0cs - every size, color, some that even looked like bugs!  And he said, "Mama.  I want some Cr0cs!  I want PURPLE Cr0cs!"

To which I replied, "Sweet child.  We will get you some Cr0cs sometime soon...but I'm afraid that you will not be getting purple Cr0cs."

His disappointed response?  "But................ I LOOOOOOOOOVE purple!"


And with that, I tell you, "goodnight."


5 Comments:
I still have reservations about crocs. The kids up here wear them at 20 below and in snow and I'm thinking they need to come out with Arctic Crocs or something.

Anonymous Christine said...
Aww what a cutie!! I am sorry the house hasn't sold that must be so frustrating. We are closing on the one we bought in GA next week and I am a little stressed houses are such a huge thing!! I go to a website www.swapbabygoods.com you may want to check them out you swap things you don't need any more for clothes, shoes, bath supplies ect.. I have got a lot of cute things for Alex even pull ups this way. Sending many hugs and keep those stories coming!! GL on defending your Thesis you are a better woman than me I am still trying to get through my Bachelors degree. lol

Blogger Laura S said...
We go through a lot of shoes around our house too. Mateo wears the front of them out. In an effort to find some "reasonably" priced options I have pretty much switched to Lands End shoes. They are good quality and decent price and most importantly the toe cap is generally rubber or plastic. Good luck!

Blogger Melissa said...
Thanks for the suggestions! And Alicia...crocs are a staple for Alabama summers! I, personally, don't wear them - but Iliya wears them to the pool and playing outside in the summer. Oh...And they do have fleece-lined crocs for the winter...have you not seen them? I don't know how well they would do for 20-below weather...but they are perfect for our winters! :)

They are really handy for slipping on. They have some here that are burber lined but still with the open backs ... and two feet of snow... you can see my hang up I'm sure. I too want to congratulate you on your schooling pursuits. WTG! I am starting back up in college after an 11 year 'family leave'. The reading alone may kill me and I'm sure I will lose hair over the math. The moment you begin to pursue a dream and try and make it a reality the work begins. The difference between it staying a dream or becoming a reality is our willingness to apply some grit and go for it. So, I am proud of you. You are an inspiration to me!